VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve found an article in the yellow press ("die aktuelle" Nr. 21, 19.05.2003. On page 2 they ask: Why ... ... are vegetarians so pale? Studies have proven, that a meatless diet leads to iron deficiency. The results are like with Gwyneth Paltrow, 29, pale outlook, bodily lack of energy. Friend Chris Marin, 26, (also vegetarian) doesn´t seem to mind. So both scuffle slackly through New York.

No matter how hard I try, I can´t scuffle slackly.

Who collected similar articles?

Original: "Warum ... ... sind Vegetarier so blaß? Studien haben erwiesen, daß fleischlose Ernährung zu Eisenmangel führt. Die Folge ist wie bei Gwyneth Paltrow, 29, blasses Aussehen, körperlicher Kräftemangel. Freund Chris Martin, 26, (auch Vegetarier) scheint´s nicht zu stören. So schlurfen beide schlaff durch New York."

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Studies have proven, that a meatless diet leads to iron deficiency.
Beef industry funded studies? My iron levels are normal; perhaps I better ask the testing laboratory if its equipment is working.

As for Gwyneth Paltrow, she eats Fish, so she's not even an example of a vegetarian (.... or is she?
).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Out of all the studies and *real* evidence supporting a healthy, well-balanced veg*n diet, I can't believe that there are people that still try to make it look bad.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn´t know that she´s a pesco-omnivore!

Another question is, if the meat and dairy industires call for such nonsense, because they advertize in these papers.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Vegetraianism in germany is quite new. The original langauge appears to be German. Germany is going through somewhat of avegetarian revolution right now, and the German meat industry is probably pissed off. So I suppose that they're pushing the ol' stereotypes.

Most myths like this disappeared ages go in Britain. Oh, my mum still believed it.

I'm pale, because I haven't been out in the sun much. The rest of my family is pale, notably my omnivorous mother.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I can understand the fear in Germany. The most delicious of meat entrees as an omni was our family recipie for rouladen, a traditional German dish. But hey, I got over it.

They always bring up iron. I don't even eat a very varied diet, and I have never had iron deficency. They always test me, I never have it. (I don't take iron, either.)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i have always been anemic and very pale--ALWAYS, but there are the dopes that will still throw the meat thing at me!! AARGH--it will never end!!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
My mum said "you can spot a true vegan simply by looking at them - they have very pale and waxy-looking skin" She's quite pale herself - It's in her family. But the veg*ns are all plae thing is a stereotype. I'm just as pale or non-pale as i was seven years ago, when I was eating meat.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually see pale omnivores, because of the lack of caroteens in their food.

I just found another article in a TV-Guide, "33 Top Tips for a Healthy Diet", 26 were in fact, 2 were questinoable, but 9 were outragegeous like don´t fear eggs, eat cheese and drink milk, have fish twice a week, eat more white than red meats etc. You counted correctly, that makes 37 tips as they some put two tips gether to make it 33.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"article in a TV-Guide, "33 Top Tips for a Healthy Diet""

This is why the TV Guide is not a trusted authority on diet and nutrition ;-) ...... add to that , the TV Guide promotes a lazy and lethargic lifestyle (*written from the comfort of my computer chair ;-) *) ..... hehe .... I bet the TV Guide people are in with the pharmaceutical companies

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it comes down to who pays the ads.

The same applies to medical studies. Wo pays the studies? Pharmaceutical companies. Which kind kind of studies do we get?Praise of pharmaceutical intervention! Nothing about change of lifestyle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts