VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this of all the vegetarians out there (not vegans because we know your stance) but how far do you go to avoid animal products? I'm asking because of the recent topic where someone was saying that vegetarians do not eat cheese with rennet in it. While I personally try to avoid dairy as much as I can, I do not go to great lengths to make sure the little amount of cheese (or whatever dairy) I eat is completely free of animal products. So my question is, how far do you go?

P.S. I'm honestly not trying to start a fight. I am just curious.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well, I'll say I'm still technically in the vegetarian arena, though working toward cutting out dairy and eggs. I'm not AS concerned about honey, never thought about rennet (at all, it never occurred to me)~

I typically worried about the main stuff, and avoided gelatin and glycerine, etc. But rennet never occurred to me to be avoided, I guess I lumped it in there with cheese and milk?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ensure that I only buy vegetarian cheese. However I have to say when I am eating out I don't question the waiter about cheese.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'm a pretty new vegetarian, and I imagine I'll get stricter as I get more used to this lifestyle. I don't eat gelatin, meat broth, etc. if I can read the ingredients, but I don't ask other people about ingredients when they've cooked for me or at restaurants. I don't think about rennet at all. Giving up cheese is not an option right now with my cafeteria dining options, and I honestly don't have a varied enough diet at the moment to give up cheese even outside of school. If I happen to know a particular brand of cheese is vegetarian, I'll choose it over other cheeses, but like I said, I rarely think about it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I go to the point of not wanting meat touching the food I eat, I would not eat a soy burger grilled on the same grill that meat just was. I would prefer the people at Subway change their gloves / use a clean knife after handling meat before they make my sandwich, I don't ask them though, I'm just happy when I'm the first one in line. As far as cheese, I don't go to the point of making sure it's rennet free, but I feel better when I buy vegan cheese.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I go to the point of not wanting meat touching the food I eat, I would not eat a soy burger grilled on the same grill that meat just was. I would prefer the people at Subway change their gloves / use a clean knife after handling meat before they make my sandwich, I don't ask them though, I'm just happy when I'm the first one in line. As far as cheese, I don't go to the point of making sure it's rennet free, but I feel better when I buy vegan cheese.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I tend to be pretty strict, except that I don't care about gelatin, rennet, or insect-derived ingredients. I also don't care if my food touches meat, so I don't care if restaurant workers share the same grill or use the same gloves. And I have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with "natural flavors", and only avoid them when I know for sure it's meat derived.

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
I think I do pretty well on some things but I still struggle with others.

No:

Rennet

Gelatin

Broths

Tallow

Honey (I haven't had Honey-Nut Cheereos in months and that was the only thing I ate that contained honey.)

Etc.

No:

Milk

Eggs

Butter

Cheese

(I stil consume these things as trace ingredients in foods but I am trying to be more aware of it and cut down)

No:

Animal-Tested Products

Wool

Silk

Leather (I still struggle wrt buying shoes)

Animal Bi-Products in Non-Food Items (I *know* most of my products are vegan but I haven't checked everything yet like my lotions.)

The one big thing that I still eat is yogurt. It's organic and is vegetarian but it's def. not vegan. I am wanting to stop eating it but am having a hard time stopping since it's one of my 'safe foods'. I've tried so many soy yogurts and think that they are all disgusting.
So, when I give up my yogurt I won't have anything to replace it with.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I don't eat gelatin, cochineal or any food cooked with meat products such as animal fat or meat broth. I usually buy vegetarian cheese, but I don't ask about it when eating out - I'm lactose intolerant anyway, so there are few types of cheeses I can eat.

In my own house, my pans and grill are strictly meat-free, but I don't mind eating haloumi cheese and mushroom kebabs grilled on the same grill as the meat kebabs when I'm out. I prefer having a viable option rather than worrying about residual particles of meat clinging to my food.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't eat gelatin regularly but if it is in a pill or something I will take it. Rennet in cheese does not bother me because I am rarely in the situation where I could choose a cheese without it.. college dining halls are not very vegetarian-friendly. However I will NOT eat chicken broth or anything made with it (gravy etc).. I'll usually ask at resteraunts and make sure things like rice etc aren't made with it.

I don't eat regular honey, but that is just because I don't like the taste. I do eat honey nut cheerios sometimes though if we are out of regular. :p

If we are making meat at home I always ask to have my veggie burger or the veggies to be cooked in a different pan/side of the grill.. my parents don't mind. And we don't share spoons/spatulas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't really care about rennet in cheese, but I will choose a rennet free cheese when I can. I don't eat gelatin knowingly, but if it's in the coating for a pill I won't worry myself over it, and I don't eat anything that has a meat derived ingredients (broths, lard, etc...), or carmine(sp?). Also I don't wear any wool, leather, silk, or fur, and I don't use cosmetics or home care products that have animal derived ingredients or are tested on animals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't eat rennet cheese, geletin, or any animal by products. I don't buy anything tested on animals. My personal care products don't have animal by products in them (thanks Lush). Hell, I even use a deoderant stone. I like to stay away from companies that do test even though the product they may make isn't and doesn't contain animal products. I don't buy silk, wool, cashmere, leather, suede, etc. I write my congress people about animal issues.

I don't like my food cooked where meat has been cooked so I rarely eat out. On the rare occasion I do eat out, I don't drill the waiter on whether something has eggs as an ingredient and such. It's probably such a minute amount if it does anyhow I don't worry about it. That's basically why I label myself strict vegetarian and not vegan, because of the eating out thing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I avoid:

broths, meat flavors, gelatin etc.

dairy and dairy derivatives

eggs

my food touching meat

food cooked on the same surface as meat

buying leather, fur etc.

I do:

consume trace ingredients of honey

have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy about things like bread at restaurants. If I know something might have butter, or dairy in it I'll ask it to be left out or won't order it but plain bread or rolls I assume to be vegan.

wear dance shoes that contain leather because there's no other option, particularly for pointe and tap shoes. I buy canvas ballet shoes.

I buy vegan skin and hair products whenever possible but I'm not too fussy. I buy conventional make up.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I do not buy or eat cheese with rennet in it.

Though cheese is rare to begin with. No other dairy.

I do not eat geletin. However if I have to take a pill that has it I will, my health is more important.

I avoid foods with any dyes in them since it can be dirived from ground bugs.

I do not eat anything with meat or meat by products,boths etc.

I will ask when I'm out to eat what is in the food, found out the hard way that hidden meat products can cause gastro distress.

I do eat honey

I buy and use leather though the shoes I need I have never seen in a none leather form.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Im not very picky at all really.

I dont eat meat, but dont care about meat by products *broth, gelatin, ect*(although I dont eat jello often and if I see vegetarian capsules Ill buy them vs the gelatin ones)

Most people here probably dont even consider me to be vegetarian, but

I still consider myself one, because all my life, and according to everyone else I know IRL, my diet is the definition (I understand people on here have a different definition).

I eat eggs for protien, and a small amount of dairy, although I dont care for cheese much, and I havent drank milk for years, for health reasons.

Im veggie for mostly spiritual/health reasons. I care about animal welfare to some degree, I think the meat/egg/dairy industry needs to be much better regulated for unneccessary cruelty, but Im not against it neccessarily as a whole.

So yeah, not very picky at all. I find it too hard to be too strict, at least at this point in my life.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Cheese, rennet etc. is a non-issue for me (casein allergy). I don't want my food anywhere near flesh, thanks. The same goes for animal ingredients (gelatin, chicken stock, etc.). I horseback ride, and my tack is leather. At the level I'm at, synthetics are not an option.

I used to be much more gung-ho as far as eggs and honey go, but I'm having a hard time justifying my veganism lately. I'm not really sure why just now. But I'm not *eating* them, since that's what the question is asking, so... yeah.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont really care about rennet either. Obviously I will choose rennetless cheese when i can but when im eating out or something i wouldn't really care. I dont eat gelatin or insect-derived colourings though.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Watch out for people calling you non-vegetarians then. Apparently eating cheese with rennet is enough to get you kicked out of the club around here.

*rollseyes*

I for one applaud anyone who chooses a meatless diet. Good for animals, good for environment, good for health! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts