VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is jj, I'm new to the vegetarian scene, but I recently discovered that some vegetarians think it is acceptable to eat eggs! How disgusting! I know vegans don't eat any animal product, but surely vegetarians should refrain from eating eggs also? I just think if someone is a vegetarian for moral reasons then why do they go around eating eggs and fish like it's acceptable. I just want to know what other peoples thoughts on this are. Thankies xxx

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Eggs are an animal product, but it doesn't kill the animal to collect them (at least not directly). They are usually unfertilized so they would not become chicks if left to incubate. Most vegetarians in my area consume both dairy and eggs.

Fish is a different story -- that's definitely not vegetarian because it kills the animal.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Lots of vegetarians eat eggs. They're called lacto-ovo vegetarians if they eat both dairy and eggs. They're called ovo vegetarians if they eat eggs, but not dairy. Eggs qualify as a vegetarian food, but not a vegan food. Since this is the vegetarian support forum, you can get in trouble for coming in here and bashing on things that vegetarians are allowed to eat because that's not supportive.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'd be surprised if this thread even lasts the whole day, as this subject often comes up and usually results in vegetarians and vegans slamming each other, followed by the thread getting locked. But, I will do my best to answer this as best I can based on my own perspective.

There isn't a single food you can eat for which an animal doesn't directly or indirectly pay a hefty price. Just by existing, you are causing the deaths of many, many animals regardless of what diet you choose, unless perhaps your grow every single thing you eat in your own back yard and don't use any pesticides. The most obvious issue to most of us is the factory farms on which most meat is produced, then comes factory dairy and battery eggs, but even once you get passed animals and animal products the issue is far from over. With slash and burn agriculture, animal products used in pesticides, the effects of those pesticides (both organic and non organic) on animals in the area and even the area itself, dead animals mixed in with fertilizers, etc., the fact is that if you are alive, animals are dying for you. The point of being vegetarian or vegan is to lessen that impact, with the first and most obvious step being to stop eating meat (including fish). Me still choosing to consume eggs and dairy does not make me ethically that much different than you, it simply means I choose to draw my line at a different point. I am, however, very picky about where I get my eggs and dairy from and, that said, I'd be willing to bet my eggs and dairy are produced in a less damaging manner than the imported bananas and palm oil that many vegans eat without even considering the fact that they are grown in a manner that is absolutely devastating to rainforests and wildlife.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Pescetarians eat fish (this is not a pescetarian forum)
Lacto vegetarians drink milk
Ovo vegetarians eat eggs
Lacto ovo vegetarians eat eggs and drink milk (these seem to be the most common kind)
Vegans don't consume milk, eggs, honey, or any other animal-derived products.

Eggs are vegetarian because they are not usually fertilized. They are just one set of chromosomes/DNA, and are therefore not "baby chickens". It is more akin to a female human's menstrual cycle. Vegans, however, usually choose not to consume milk/eggs either because they object to the cruel conditions that the animals are kept in, or the fact that we're eating parts of animals (and tbh it's kinda gross).
As this is the vegetarian section, many members (including myself) do eat eggs and dairy. It would be best not to bash either of those on this section.
Hope I answered your question

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea thanks for the feedback, but I still think it's a bit weird, eggs arguably cause more animal cruelty than most meat resources?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectjjxxx View Post

eggs arguably cause more animal cruelty than most meat resources?
Agreed. But we've all gotta draw our line somewhere, taking into consideration that it is impossible to live without negatively affecting another living thing. We are still more similar than different, despite these differences in our diet. I personally won't buy battery eggs from the grocery store. I buy directly from small farms I have personally visited, or from individuals who have their own chickens/ducks who just happen to have more eggs than they need.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
They really don't Perfect. It's relatively easy to find a local farm, backyard chicken enthusiast, or even keep a few pet chickens if you are concerned about the conditions they are raised in.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theveggietrumpet View Post

I will eat eggs and dairy, there is nothing wrong with that. It's not meat, so why should I refrain from it?
How about you ask that in the vegan forum? Can't touch it here!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:

The welfare of the animal?
This whole conversation is best discussed in the vegan support forum. Please take your egg concerns over there as it is not allowed in the vegetarian support forum.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

How about you ask that in the vegan forum? Can't touch it here!
lol!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
wow! good job! the thread made it out alive

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

wow! good job! the thread made it out alive
For now! If VB seems too dull it's not too late to start slinging insults and personal attacks

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:

Hi, my name is jj, I'm new to the vegetarian scene, but I recently discovered that some vegetarians think it is acceptable to eat eggs! How disgusting! I know vegans don't eat any animal product, but surely vegetarians should refrain from eating eggs also? I just think if someone is a vegetarian for moral reasons then why do they go around eating eggs and fish like it's acceptable. I just want to know what other peoples thoughts on this are. Thankies xxx
You are obviously new to VB as well. Welcome. If you would like to discuss how gross eggs are, you might want to head over to the vegan or debate subforums. Many of on the vegetarian board eat eggs and it might be seen as a bit insulting to some that one of your first posts is putting down the dietary choice of many of the people here.

With that said, not everyone is vegetarian for the same reason. While most of us don't like factory farming, many just don't want animals to have to die for food. Others may be veg*n for health reasons. For others, they may be using as a stepping stone to veganism, and may ultimately plan to phase out eggs. And some, buy humane eggs and milk from small local farms where they can see how the animal is raised.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Mod Post - I'm moving this thread to the vegan forum.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:

Yea thanks for the feedback, but I still think it's a bit weird, eggs arguably cause more animal cruelty than most meat resources?
Do you eat dairy?

<<agrees that this thread is not best placed in the vegetarian forum, however

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I think dairy can be more harmful than eggs. Eggs can be obtained ethically, even if factory farmed eggs are not, but dairy always involves a baby cow having to be born and more than likely killed. Do you eat dairy or do you just not eat eggs?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.