VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a strange little article on my AOL welcome screen today.

http://www.bloggingbaby.com/2006/09/...them-eat-worms

It's about the health benefits of silkorms, and ended with this nonsensical statement:

Quote:
I know of a number of children in my son's 8th grade class who are vegetarians. I have seen them gobble up kelp snack packs and happily slurp down tofu in all sorts of forms. But I have to wonder if they would take their beliefs as far as gulping down a silkworm. Would the vegetarian in your family be able to eat silkworms? This is just one of the many intriguing possibilities raised by the article. What do you think?
It's followed by a place to leave comments. There are only 11 right now, but it seems like the commenters have a better grasp of vegetarianism than the author.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Wtf.....?

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
How does kelp and tofu relate to silkworms? I've seen Joe ride a bike and drive a car. Do you think he would lead an entire army in tanks to blow up alien spaceships?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Maybe they think vegetarianism is only about health, and since the worms are healthy, the kids should eat them. That's the only explanation I can think of. Someone made a good point in the comments that the chemical in the worms that might be healthy can be found in the food the worms eat- leaves.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I think what she is saying is that kelp snack packs and tofu are disgusting, and if veggie kids will eat those, they'll eat anything.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

I think what she is saying is that kelp snack packs and tofu are disgusting, and if veggie kids will eat those, they'll eat anything.
(*sigh*) I pay no mind....

sleep in slime...

·
Registered
16 Posts
To be fair I have met a lot of "vegetarians" that don't really understand what that means (I once met someone who called themself a vegetarian, but still ate chicken and fish). It could be that the author knows a lot of "vegetarians" that do it exclusively for health reasons, and assumes (incorrectly) that since silkworms have health benefits, that they fall into the the vegetarian lifestyle.

(For the record, I think those statements are ignorant, but I have a thing for seeing all sides, and often defending opposing views)

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"Someone made a good point in the comments that the chemical in the worms that might be healthy can be found in the food the worms eat- leaves."

That is not what the article said. First it said clm was very expensive so eating it directly was not practical, then it said the worms were fed mulburry leaves that had been COATED with it. The writer is missing his brain. If it is too expensive to eat mlm directly, it would be even more expensive to feed it to silkworms and then eat the silkworms.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Being a vegetarian is about natural instinct to me so basically what follows is what would other vegetarian animals do?.

Other then that I go with the accepted defination that being vegetarian means not eating animals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts