VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that always surprises me is the number of people that assume that I still eat fish when I say that I'm a vegetarian. Its actually become a bit of a rant for me - "Yes! Fish is MEAT! No I don't eat it!!!!".

My fiance claims that most vegetarians do eat fish and that my ranting is misplaced. So I thought I'd ask a bunch of vegetarians: Do you eat fish or seafood? Do you think that its common for vegetarians to eat fish?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
People who eat fish are pescetarians. They may call themselves vegetarian becasue people (including themselves sometimes are unfamiliar with the term, this does not make them vegetarians. By definition, vegetarians do not eat fish.

My dictionary says: vegetarian- a person who eats no meat or fish and sometimes no animal products such as eggs, milk or chesse.

A really simple explanation is this. Vegetarians do not never eat animals. All fish are animals. Therefore all vegetarians do not eat fish.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
A lot of vegetarians do eat fish and they are vegetarians.

Technically speaking, trium and everyone is right, but generally speaking a lot of vegetarians do eat fish. Especially those who are vegetarian for health reasons.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Sorry, Kpickell, but if they eat fish they are just not vegetarian, *shrugs*.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I disagree.

Vegetarianism is like Christianity, every sect has their own exclusionary definition. You can tell people what vegetarianism or veganism means to you, but that isn't always what it means for everyone else. Not every Christian agrees with the dictionary definition of a Christian.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

I disagree.

Vegetarianism is like Christianity, every sect has their own exclusionary definition. You can tell people what vegetarianism or veganism means to you, but that isn't always what it means for everyone else. Not every Christian agrees with the dictionary definition of a Christian.
I can see this going back and forth, but I'll put my two cents in anyway. Analogies aside, people who eat fish are not vegetarians. Fish have nervous and cardiopulmonary systems just like any other animal. Might as well say that people who eat pigs and cows are vegetarian.

·
Registered
0 Posts
*is offended*

i'm made to eat fish yet i find it traumatic having to do so. by your reckoning - does this make me a not vegetarian, even though i do not eat any other animal?

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomjo32

Might as well say that people who eat pigs and cows are vegetarian.
Vegetarians who eat pigs and cows are usually called "free range vegetarians".

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I hate to talk about labels, because it is annoying getting into the debate, but for purposes of definition, one has to draw the line somewhere, otherwise people would say "I'm vegetarian, but I eat beef" and you also get people who eat chicken but are "vegetarians" and I'm in the "fish is not vegetarian" camp.

I'm desperately trying not to be percieved as snobbish or exclusionist here, but I think that people who eat fish are not vegetarians, since fish are animals. It's really annoying when you go into a restaurant and fish is described as vegetarian. There are confusions over what the term "vegetarian" means which is why I militantly enforce it. I'm not excluding people. I do embrace pescetarianism as a step in the right direction, but not when it is described as vegetarianism, as this creates confusion.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think if you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian. I don't care if you eat fish--if it works for you, go for it, but by definition a fish-eater is not a vegetarian.

As for the vegetarianism-similar-to-Christianity thing--yes, there are many different types of Christians, but when you get down to brass tacks, there is one underlying fact which pervades Christianity and that is that Christ is/was the messiah. If I met someone who called themselves a Christian and didn't believe this basic tenet, I would not consider them a Christian. Just as I don't consider someone who eats fish a vegetarian b/c it goes against the basic tenet which is that vegetarians do not eat animals.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think people don't consider fish a meat because it isn't usually labeled as a meat. In cookbooks and in grocery stores, it's "meat," "poultry," and "fish." 3 different things. If you think of it that way, it's not as unreasonable to think that they would ask you about it.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
There's a term (besides omnivore) for fish eaters who call themselves vegetarians: idiots. They make it harder for actual vegetarians.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Not trying to start a religious discussion.. but..

I think there's a difference between the belief of Jesus and the belief in Jesus.

As for fish, I'd have to agree with Loki. Just eating fish is a step in the right direction, but it should not be described as vegetarianism.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My goodness!

I agree that vegetarians do not eat fish. However I don't think I'm alone in that as I was on-the-path to being vegetarian, I still ate fish. Many others have stated that fish was the last meat they gave up. I found myself saying confusing things like, "I'm a vegetarian. Well, not really, I eat fish sometimes." At least I tried to clarify. Maybe I would have said "pescatarian" if I'd ever heard of the term.

I'm not proud of it now, but there it is! Moot point for me, as I'm vegan for one month.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think pescotarianism is a good step in the right direction... a stop on the way to veganism hopefully!
But by no means, "vegetarian".

I try not to use the word "meat" in describing my veganism since it does add to the confusion. (ex: "the meat of a coconut") I say "I don't use any animals or animal derived products, including dairy, eggs or cheese". Yes I threw cheese in there on top of dairy. Alot of people don't immedietly *get it* that cheese is dairy. lol.

No offense meant to pesco's...like I said, hopefully your at one of the many stopping points in your fabulous journey to veganism!
Keep learning and growing!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Ya, I guy I work with claims to be a vegetarian but eats seafood. Then there are the ones who eat seafood AND poultry and still claim to be a vegetarian.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I once worked with a girl who told me she was vegan, then later told me she ate chicken (because "it tastes so good").

It bugged me that she was probably telling others she was "vegan" yet she still ate chicken..... they probably thought I ate it too when I told them I was vegan (many people at work knew me before they knew her so they would have known the truth of veganism). And I am sure I saw her from afar getting a chocolate bar from the junk food vending machine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
ahh, fish was my relapse food. I no longer considered myself vegetarian when I went on a fish kick. 3 years of eating veggie *most* of the time, but giving in to my craving for really good tuna several times in that same three years, sad to say. Flesh is flesh. I think that Judaism/Christianity has had some influence on this area. For kosher folk, fish is considered pareve (okay to eat with flesh or with dairy) so it's not really considered meat by them. For Catholics, abstaining from animal products on Fridays became just don't eat meat but fish and dairy is okay.

To me, it's meat

3 cans of really righteous bonito from Spain, packed in lovely olive oil, sit in my cupboard presenting a great temptation. I really must get rid of it :lol

1 - 20 of 296 Posts