VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the discussion of the vegetarians and fish thread that is going on.

One thing that I don't understand why so many vegetarians eat eggs. Could someone please tell me why it is ok to eat eggs and still consider yourself vegetarian. I'm not trying to start a huge discussion, I really just don't understand.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I have always wonder why vegetarian would include eating dairy and eggs. I would think a vegetarian would have been with out animal products and if you consume any animal you would not be considered a veg. but that is just my thinking on the subject.

here is what my online dictionary says..

vegetarian :

the theory or practice of living on a diet made up of vegetables , fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes eggs or dairy products.

(if I had coined the term I would not have included "sometimes eggs and dairy")

vegan:

a strict vegetarian who consumes no animal food or dairy products; also : one who abstains from using animal products (as leather)

also I am not against people who do consume these items. I really am only speaking of the definition part not who is or is not vegetarian.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shatlav

Could someone please tell me why it is ok to eat eggs and still consider yourself vegetarian.
I believe it is because gathering eggs does not kill the animal.

The process of mass farming is, at the very least, questionable for those who are vegetarian for ethical reasons. But I do not see any ethical issue with eating eggs from humanely raised hens.

I would probably eat eggs if i had my own chickens...

amy

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Eggs don't necessitate the killing of animals, which is the line across which certain vegetarians won't cross. On the surface, it makes sense. In fact, a lot of vegetarians won't eat cheese for the main reason that rennet is used in its production. Rennet can only come from dead cows.

However, vegans tend to object to more than merely killing the animals. Typically the captivity of the animals and their treatment are of paramount concern. The hens laying these eggs one example and, hence, vegans won't support that industry by eating them. There's also the matter of the hens' poor treatment and the disgusting breeding and hormonal tampering that's gone on to produce "superior" egg-layers.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think it is harder to cross the line to no-eggs-no-dairy than the no-meat line, because eggs'n dairy are in pretty much everything out there. It took me forever to finally decide to transition to strict vegetarian from just simple no-meat-eating. First off I thought it was harder to get complete nutrition if you eliminate such a huge number of foods (there is so many things I cannot consume anymore). Then it is harder to justify the "why" to your family (if you are still dependent, it matters, I need their money, lol!). It takes a lot more knowledge about nutrition (which I accumulated enough of by now), and before I gave up eggs and dairy I didn't even hear about the bad treatment of these farming animals. I had kind of got a whiff of it, but never read much and thought it was ok (or at least acceptable) that there is "just a lot of hens laying eggs" or that "the cow just kind of gets milked all her life and then dies". I didn't know the details, so there was no motivation!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well, i was a vegetarian for about two years. I consumed dairy products during that time until one day i was surfing the web and came across some disturbing pictures of what actually goes on at dairy farms. Then i decided to become strict vegetarian.

http://www.animalsvoice.com/PAGES/archive/dairy.html ...very informative website

http://www.animalsvoice.com/PAGES/archive/chicks.html ...why i don't eat eggs.

http://www.animalsvoice.com/PAGES/archive/turkeys.html ...would you like to live like this?

We have no right to treat animals like that. They are gentle and need love. Not torture. But each individual person feels differently about this topic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'm just confused. Aren't eggs just chicks that haven't had time to form? I'm not being gross but is that it? If they were left on their own they would turn into chicks, right? So eggs are animals in a way?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh my god, that sounds worse! *thinking - glad I haven't had eggs in months or I'd get sick now*

·
Registered
0 Posts
I believe the ones that they sell have not been fertilized by a rooster. They are the equivalent of a human females period....

Gross.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
actually wouldn't that be the same as the placenta. the shell would be the uterus and the part humans eat would be what keeps the baby chick alive and give the chick nutrients.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
LOL This is funny. I always equated them to ova. You know, our "eggs". Just a little different. Which is why I hated them when I was little. Now I use them in baking and that's about it. If they're not fertilized, they're not baby chickens.

I have a huge problem with battery hen eggs. So I buy free-range organic (certified, it means something here) eggs. Eventually I will have my own happy well cared for chickens and eat the eggs.

You can't call us omnis, because that would get confusing. Since the word "vegetarian" now seems to be equated with "lacto-ovo" those of us who cut out one or both of these need to specify. For instance, I am virtually an ovo-vegetarian, (not quite yet, but except for trace amounts of dairy and the occasional pizza [my downfall] that is how I mostly eat).

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Here in Aus, on a certified free range farm, much better than you are going to try and make me believe. Not everywhere is like the US.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
LOL epski, is that about the chicken placentas/ovum etc?

Thanks kpickell. It can get a little frustrating having to always add "yes the certified label means something here" because people assume that American labelling practises are universal. They aren't, the eggs I buy are certified by two separate 3rd parties, one of them the free range poultry asociation and the other the organic farmers association. Both have stringent guidelines. If there was ever any doubt in my mind they weren't what they said they were I would stop buying them.

[I still wanna cuddle Perry]

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've hated eggs since I was a little kid. I just always saw them as so similar to human eggs (and the eggs of every other animal) that they seemed disgusting. While amniotic eggs are rather different from mamalian eggs (mammals' are more adapted to life in harsher climates), in that our eggs don't have a yolk, it is the same general concept. The main difference is that because the amniotic egg is not inside the mother, or attatched to it, all of the nutrients the fetus will need during development are inside the egg.

Eggs gross me out, but if I knew that the eggs came from truely well treated hens, I might eat them if they were in a cake or the like.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well, I rarely eat eggs on their own as I don't enjoy them that much. However if they are already in things I don't make a big fuss about it.

I always buy organic free range, but I haven't bought any here for a long time as the labelling in this country is crap.

I consider myself well and truly vegetarian even though I do consume eggs and dairy. I have my reasons, and I stand by them even though I don't expect everyone to understand.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My father lives on 100 acres in the bush & has a few dozen hens wandering round the place. They continually lay eggs & when the nest is full abandon it to start another one. Dad collects & eats these eggs as well as parcelling them out to friends etc as if he didn't there'd be 100s of rotting eggs all over the place! I've not seen fatter, happier chooks then his. I don't see the problem with this arrangement at all, even though I don't eat eggs myself. This really has no bearing on anything much just thought I'd share my rambling thoughts....

If only all chookies could live as blissfully as his do.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts