VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I developed dysosmia due to another medical condition a few years or so ago. Basically, dysosmia means one's sense of smell (and subsequently taste) is "messed up", the specific effects being unique to the individual. In my case, a lot of flavors are pretty muted, while foods with "artificial" ingredients tend to taste "fake". Additionally, things that are too sweet/sugary turn my stomach. Nevermind cookies and ice cream, I can't even eat a lot of fruits now. But, I love vegetables and anything savory as long as it's not too salty or spicy. Lastly, I handle solid textures (like solid foods and stews) better than liquid ones (like soups).

All in all, it's actually a pretty good condition to have. I have no problem eating healthy and not only do I lack cravings for "junkfood", most of it tastes like rubbish anyway.

So, I'm trying to optimize my diet a little better, and it's actually pretty difficult as finding good food recipes are few and far between. When you look up recipes for healthy, vegetarian, organic food, everyone always tries to jazz it up so it looks like junkfood to make it more appealing, but that usually involves adding things that don't work for me.

For example, I'm trying to find a decent high protein, low carb/fat snack that travels well, as I currently have a job that requires a lot of running around and I don't have much time to sit and eat. I was thinking something black bean based (like a bar) would do the trick, but every recipe I've found loads up on simple sugars and fats.

Also, I like to make a big batch of something on Sunday and use it for meals during the week (or freeze it). I can eat the same thing five days straight without getting "bored" since most things taste pretty much the same to me anyway. It also makes it easier schedule wise if I just cook one day. I'm more concerned with making sure I get a healthy supply of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, while avoiding simple carbs and sat fats, and not going overboard with other carbs and unsat fats as well. In any event, I've found almost no recipes that fit this criteria.

Can anyone help me out? Maybe point me in the right direction? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I tried to reply but the computer ate my post...

Bsically, I was writing that I didn't know off-hand what might suit you, and that you might have to start with recipes that are close to what you want and modify them.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Couldn't you just use one of the recipes but leave out the sugar and fats?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts