VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Christianity support vegetarianism?

According to the Bible, "God said, 'Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat' " (Genesis 1:29). Later, God grants Noahs descendants permission to eat meat, but not without grave and unpleasant consequences. Many biblical scholars interpret this to mean that God originally intended human beings to be vegetarians and that people would do well to follow a plant-based diet.

Finally, in the messianic age there will be universal vegetarianism, even among normally carnivorous animals. Isaiah 11:7 says, "The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox. Additionally, the Bible absolutely forbids the eating of pigs: Do not eat pigs ... They must be considered unclean ... (Deuteronomy 14:3-18) (also Leviticus 11:1-47). It should also be noted that many strict cautions against cruelty to animals appear throughout the Bible.

Not to hurt our humble brethren (the animals) is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher missionto be of service to them whenever they require it If you have men who will exclude any of Gods creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

-- Saint Francis of Assisi

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
My stance has always been that Christianity does not prohibit vegetarianism (though you will find many in the Church who've confused culture with Christianity and believe it does). Though I don't have a direct scriptural basis for it, I believe that being vegetarian is probably very pleasing to Jesus as it is a compassionate choice on so many fronts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I also belive that Christianity does not support vegetarinasm, but when our Lord told people it was okay to eat animals, they were not on factory farms. The people had to chase the animals down, kill and prepare them. They didn't walk into a grocery store and buy prepared meat that is full of hormones and anibiotics. God never intended we live the way that we currently do either.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The beauty of Christianity is that it can be used to justify nearly anything you want, including being a vegetarian.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I don't think Christianity imposes any dietary restrictions.

Matthew 15:11

What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

But it also doesn't restrict us from extending our compassion to animals, as long as it doesn't cause your brother to fall.

~Wondre

·
Registered
141 Posts
Gen 9:3? "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I think a lot of the old testament rules against eating meat had more logical purposes- sanitation etc. We should also note that in the New Testament, Jesus declared the OT rules null and said all was clean to eat- and even provided people with things like fish to eat.

But does that mean vegetarianism is wrong? Not at all. I think it's really left up to personal choice and what you feel is right.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

The beauty of Christianity is that it can be used to justify nearly anything you want, including being a vegetarian.
I know. Ive seen some christians use the bible to suggest that its actually WRONG to not eat meat. LIke God commanded us to do so or something. (I dont really think the bible is the "word of god" anyway personally, it was written by humans after all).

Another problem is translation. Slight mis-translations can change the meaning of things in a BIG way. I have a hobby/interest in human origions/creationism/evolution type stuff, and I read a book that had a lot of info from the bible (as well as other ancient texts, mainly sumerian) and it was interesting how OFF some of the newer translations of the bible (like the new international version) really were from the origional text. Its kind of watered down and changed a lot.

I definately think Jesus would have supported the vegetarian choice, not only for the compassion aspect but because he would want humans to be healthy and take good care of their bodies.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Wasn't the bible written, like, 2000 years ago? (I'm asking. I have no clue.)

It just seems like something written long before modern factory farming came alongmuch less freezers, gas barbecues and meat in a cancan't be applicable to the meat most people eat today. Can it?

Oh. And please answer without quoting the bible or linking to things if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I do think we were meant to be vegans. No meat, no milk or egg from another animal/species. And yes, after the fall, Adam and Eve killed animals for food (I would need to check the reference to see if it was THEM or God who showed them how to do the sacrifice thing)~

I do think that we were made to survive as vegans. And that all other animals were as well. There was no death or dying before Adam & Eve sinned. Even among the animals. The lion laid down next to the lamb....

And while we may have been given permission to eat animals after the fall of mankind into sin, I still think we are meant to be good stewards for what we are given. That means treating the animals with dignity and killing them humanely when they are taken for their meat. (think Native Americans and how they respected the animals, and thanked God for the food, and asked that the animal's spirit would go on in peace....)

I don't think it is WRONG to eat meat, per say. I do think it is WRONG how they treat the animals in the meat, dairy, poultry, etc, industries. I cannot support that.

Does that make sense? We were made, originally, to be vegan. Our bodies can tolerate meat, and if people can raise and kill their own flesh humanely, I don't think it is wrong to eat that meat. But I cannot/will not support an industry that tortures and maims countless animals daily to feed the greedy mouths of people.

(ramble)

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
christianity supports vegetarianism in a number of ways and doesn't prevent omnivorism.

within many schools of christianity, the construct of vegetarianism often falls under the simplicity practices and is commonly practiced in monastic traditions. it is also strongly encouraged within the spiritual discipline of fasting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

I don't think it is WRONG to eat meat, per say. I do think it is WRONG how they treat the animals in the meat, dairy, poultry, etc, industries. I cannot support that.

(ramble)
I agree with you, I for one am a born again christian, My husband is also but eats meat. people have asked me many times is this a bibical thing? no its a humane thing. Though in a perfect world I don't see a need for anyone having to eat meat. shoot even in this world humanly or not.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Isaac the Syrian View Post

And what is a merciful heart? It is the hearts burning for the sake of the entire creation, for men, for birds, for animals, for demons and for every created thing; and by the recollection and sight of them the eyes of a merciful man pour forth abundant tears. From the strong and vehement mercy which grips his heart and from his great compassion, his heart is humbled and he cannot bear to hear or see any injury or slight sorrow in creation. For this reason he continually offers up tearful prayer, even for irrational beasts, for the enemies of the truth and for those who harm him, that they be protected and receive mercy. And in like manner he even prays for the family of reptiles because of the great compassion that burns in his heart without measure in the likeness of God.
Just thought this would be a good thread to post this quote in again. Isaac of Nineveh(AD 650~) is said to have consisted on only vegetables and bread. One of many Christians who extended the compassion of God past the species barrier.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:

I do think we were meant to be vegans. No meat, no milk or egg from another animal/species. And yes, after the fall, Adam and Eve killed animals for food (I would need to check the reference to see if it was THEM or God who showed them how to do the sacrifice thing)~

I do think that we were made to survive as vegans. And that all other animals were as well. There was no death or dying before Adam & Eve sinned. Even among the animals. The lion laid down next to the lamb....

And while we may have been given permission to eat animals after the fall of mankind into sin, I still think we are meant to be good stewards for what we are given. That means treating the animals with dignity and killing them humanely when they are taken for their meat. (think Native Americans and how they respected the animals, and thanked God for the food, and asked that the animal's spirit would go on in peace....)

Does that make sense? We were made, originally, to be vegan. Our bodies can tolerate meat, and if people can raise and kill their own flesh humanely, I don't think it is wrong to eat that meat. But I cannot/will not support an industry that tortures and maims countless animals daily to feed the greedy mouths of people.

(ramble)
EXACTLY how I feel. Hunt your own meat, fine. Chopped up animal parts in a supermarket, yuck

I work in a Christian centre, and my co-worker was reading a fairy-tale where a huntsman killed an animal. One kid asked 'What is he doing!' (in a bit of shock) and she replied 'you know when we go to supermarkets and buy meat, this is like this. Only now we don't have to kill it'. What she said is true, but being a vegetarian it sounded wrong on so many levels for me!

I am not Christian, I prefer to follow the ways of Buddhism. Working in a Christian centre has been VERY interesting.

I think it is hyprocritical to be a 'caring Christian' yet continue to support such a barbaric industry, it just doesn't make sense!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree completely with bekajoi and jessikah. When God granted Noah premission to eat meat (this is the quote everyone uses to defend meat eating) God says that it comes with grave consequences. Which is more like a warning than permission.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:

Uhhh no offense but the lion lad down next to the lamb..? Is that a metaphor or are you seriously saying you think that all animals used to be vegetarian. I highly doubt that..how could you possibly know something like that? How could any of us?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
(I am using the New International Version of the Bible in my quotes here)

Genesis 1:29-30

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground - everythign that has the breath of life in it- I give every green plant for food," And it was so.

~~~~~~~~

Every animal was vegetarian, until after the flood.

Genesis 9:2-5 (after the flood, when God promised never to flood the world again, a concession for beasts and men to eat flesh, with the warning)

The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of teh air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands.

Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it.

And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.

~~~~~~~

So, what exactly is the "lifeblood" talked about? Curious... what doesn't still have its blood in it?

And perhaps the lion/lamb thing is more future tense than past tense... though, if the lion did not EAT the lamb, why would they have had trouble living together? Anyway, here's the passage regarding animals and peace among them~ it's a prophecy for what is to come, after the return of Christ. During the time Christ is ruling on earth for 1000 years.

Isaiah 11:6-9

The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.

The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox.

The infant will play near the hole of the cobra, and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.

They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea.

~~~~~~

So, if you take the Bible as a literal translation (which it mostly is... some things were described as best as the writer understood how to write it, when seeing future events, etc), there it is.

If you don't believe the Bible, it's pretty much a moot point. But that is where I get my view from.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

I dont exactly think there is no truth to any of it. I just think its been misunderstood and mistranslated.
So, what's your stance, then? Are vegetarianism and Christianity compatible?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts