VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...etarians021711

Quote:
SAN JOSE, Calif. When Jon Fitch signed his first contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship in 2005, the former Purdue University wrestling captain could suddenly afford to eat whatever he wanted.
That meant meat. Lots of it.
I would eat three meals a day with meat, and meat was the main part of every meal, said Fitch, who is preparing for his biggest fight in years on Feb. 26 in Sydney, Australia against B.J. Penn in UFC 127. Id eat two steaks for dinner almost every night.
More From Dave Meltzer
.can_ad_slug {font-family:arial;font-size:11px;color:#555555;text-decoration:none;background-image:url('http://l.yimg.com/d/lib/can_interstitial/icons/adchoice_1.1.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:right;padding:0px 14px 0px 0px;margin:2px 0 1px 0;cursor:hand;height:12px;display:block;line-height:12px;}.ad_slug_table a {text-decoration:none;}AdChoices

Jon Fitch has dropped meat from his diet as he prepares for his UFC 127 main event against B.J. Penn.
(Getty Images)

Fitch, considered by most either the No. 2 or No. 3 welterweight in the world, grew up in the meat-and-potatoes Midwest in Fort Wayne, Ind. When he went to college, meat became an even bigger dietary staple.
My mother would make meat and sides, but in college, I was always in a hurry, so cooking meat was quick and easy, and there were a lot less sides, he said. I lived off the George Foreman Grill.
But after college and before signing with the UFC, meat became a luxury. As a small-show fighter living in expensive San Jose, he had to survive on a budget of $800 a month, which didnt get him very far.
Ramen noodles were in. High-priced animal flesh was out.
But in his training for the Penn fight, Fitch has come full circle. The top welterweight has joined a growing number of MMA stars who have committed to a vegetarian diet.
The list includes the next challenger for Georges St. Pierres welterweight title, Jake Shields, Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz, and two former Ultimate Fighter winners, Nate Diaz and Mac Danzig.
Shields, whose parents are vegetarians, grew up on a meatless diet, never wavered, and is in large part the catalyst for the trend.
Related: Check out Jake Shields diet
He influenced training partner Nick Diaz. Nate Diaz, Nicks younger brother, followed in Nicks footsteps. Fitch, based in San Jose, and Shields, who lives nearby in San Francisco, have trained together in the past.
Ive been this way all my life, said Shields, 32, who faces St. Pierre on April 30 in Toronto on a show that has already sold out the 55,000-seat Rogers Centre. Ive got nothing to compare it to. The only thing is, nobody can train as hard or as long as me and Nick Diaz, so that seems to indicate something.
Diaz, 27, turned to a vegetarian diet as a teenager. Unlike Shields and Fitch

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I'm glad I just read that. Just linked it on FB to a few guy friends who I'd like to share it with

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I LOVE MMA and that there are veg*n fighters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw this article and thought it was pretty cool, even with the glaring holes like Fitch talking about eating a steak. I train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and MMA quite a bit, about 4-5 times a week. Of about 75 students in our gym/dojo I only know of 1 other that is vegetarian. Most are a little shocked when they find out I am veg, in part because I'm pretty big(about 210 lbs) and they of course have these poorly preconceived notions of vegetarians being frail little creatures.

Here's a link to an article about Shields --> http://thegarv.com/Jake-Shields-Vege...d-Cruelly.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I can honestly say I wish there were no veg*n MMA fighters. Or, to put it another way, i wish there was no MMA.
Well that's too bad because it's one of if not the fastest growing sport in the world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts