Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't know / a mixture of both

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
i think its either one

for some people they become vegetarian and they are happy and they have no plans for becoming vegan

but for me its a platform cuz my parents wont let me be vegan until i move out so right now im doing the best i can

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean for me, or for everyone and anyone else?

It seems to me that since veganism is vegetarianism to the extreme, vegetarianism is both a platform and a destination based on degrees.

rigmarole

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rigmarole

you can't bypass vegetarianism to become vegan since all vegans are vegetarians, albeit to the extreme
I knew somebody would bring that up, and I debated rewriting my post to take that into consideration, but... *shrugs*

Anyway, I think my intent was clear. I bypassed ovo-lacto or even total vegetarianism and went straight to veganism, which is obviously the most "extreme" form of vegetarianism, though I have issues with it being described thus.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Mixture of both in my opinion. Where the line gets drawn depends on the individual. There are so many types of vegetarians, and I think that's good because it offers a lot of options for omni people (lacto, lacto/ovo, strict vegetarian, vegan, etc.) If someone wants to move in that direction there are many comfort levels (if there weren't - then many traditional meat eaters may not even bother taking the step in the first place).

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I think it depends on the reason you go veggie for.

If you do it for yourself (health) than it will most likely stop there.

If you have bigger motives than you most likely will shift to Vegan.

Just for the record: Vegan is not extreme, but consistent vegetarianism.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1vegan

If you do it for yourself (health) than it will most likely stop there.

If you have bigger motives than you most likely will shift to Vegan.
I can't help but wonder what motive could be bigger than personal health but then again, I realize that there are those here doing it for the animals and not for their health and they believe that this is the biggest motive of all (the animals). In a way, I agree and disagree at the same time. The biggest motive is the one that compells a person to go veg*n in the first place weather it's health, animals, or something else altogether. My motives aren't the same as someone else's and their motives may not be the same as mine, but they are both the "bigger motives" because they were the motives that drove each of us individually to strive for the place that we are at today, regardless of what we call it.

I'm doing this for my health and even though I consider myself vegetarian, I eat more like a vegan so for me, vegetarianism is a combination destination and platform. It's a platform to stay as healthy as I can and to me, healthy means eating things that are grown from the ground and started by seeds instead of eating things that aren't. But it's also a destination because there are always hidden animals to beware of and new lables meanings to decypher and as long as companies insist on making up new names for old ingredients, my job will never be done in trying to "stay one step ahead" in the persuit of not eating the animals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there are a lot of people saying they can go vegan once they move...i guess that's quite sad really, that there's so much misinformation or uncomfortable feeling with veg*n children / teenagers.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tofu rebel

there are a lot of people saying they can go vegan once they move...i guess that's quite sad really, that there's so much misinformation or uncomfortable feeling with veg*n children / teenagers.
I've noticed that too, Tr. Seems that parents want their kids to eat all their veggies but yet they freak out when the kid wants to eat nothing but veggies, and grains, and fruit, and plant-based nutrients... what's up with that?

I'm not a teen anymore so I think I'm out of touch with this topic.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I became vegetarian for ethical reasons, but I don't have any intentions or desires about becoming vegan. It seems like plain old vegetarians are becoming pariahs to both sides; we're a pain in the ass to the omnis, and others tend to view us as 'incomplete' vegans.

Anyway. it just doesn't look as cool having an 'ovo-lacto vegetarian' patch sewed into your backpack.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fenguin

I became vegetarian for ethical reasons, but I don't have any intentions or desires about becoming vegan.
Is this one of those things where you carefully source your dairy and egg products so as to avoid supporting cruelty? Not trying to stir anything up; just wanting to understand what is meant by ethical vegetarianism, as I consider veganism ethical vegetarianism.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I know one omni who kind of does this. He keeps his own chickens. He doesn't eat red meat, but he does consume his chickens (and their eggs). Well, good on him I guess. It's not for me, but I respect that he made some kind of stand. He doesn't have a problem with the killing - just the factory farming issue (cruelty and unsanitary conditions).

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Being vegetarian was a stepping stone to becoming vegan. I knew I would eventually be vegan, but I wasn't informed enough to go straight there and felt I needed to do a lot of research first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts