VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been a solid vegetarian for almost 7 months now and i’m so extremely proud of the commitment I have put it into it. Or so I thought. I have many medical problems that are still being diagnosed so I’m on multiple tablets. When I first started taking them I made sure to them many times that I had newly turned vegetarian so they knew not to give me any gelatine. Well turns out I should have checked the ingredients with them when they were first prescribed as 2/3 of my tablets contain gelatine. This is partly my fault as I have never checked until today, when i got bored and decided to read the ingredients. But I’m slightly mad at them as I have told them.

Anyways, I have a hospital appointment tomorrow for physiotherapy and I’m wondering how I can go about this. Can I request new tablets, that probably won’t help me, or should I keep taking these ones?

It feels wrong to say I’m vegetarian when I’m technically not. Bit of a moral dilemma here.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
I’ve been a solid vegetarian for almost 7 months now and i’m so extremely proud of the commitment I have put it into it. Or so I thought. I have many medical problems that are still being diagnosed so I’m on multiple tablets. When I first started taking them I made sure to them many times that I had newly turned vegetarian so they knew not to give me any gelatine. Well turns out I should have checked the ingredients with them when they were first prescribed as 2/3 of my tablets contain gelatine. This is partly my fault as I have never checked until today, when i got bored and decided to read the ingredients. But I’m slightly mad at them as I have told them.

Anyways, I have a hospital appointment tomorrow for physiotherapy and I’m wondering how I can go about this. Can I request new tablets, that probably won’t help me, or should I keep taking these ones?

It feels wrong to say I’m vegetarian when I’m technically not. Bit of a moral dilemma here.

Hi sian, and welcome to the forum.

You should be proud of your commitment. As a 28-year vegetarian, I'd like to reassure you that the tiny bit of gelatine in your medication does not invalidate your vegetarianism.

Gelatin capsules contain only the tiniest amount of animal material. Even the largest gelatin capsules only weigh 158 mg (0.158 gram): https://capsuline.com/pages/empty-capsule-size-chart. This is tiny! Consider that a single hamburger patty weighs 100 grams, which is 600 times the weight of that gelatin capsule! Even if you must take several gelatin capsules a day, you've still reduced your animal consumption by 99+%. You are a hero to the animals, and that's a fact.

Please remember that nothing is 100.0% vegetarian. Even regular plastics are processed with tiny amounts (0.1%) of animal-derived processing agents. Nothing is perfect, but you are making a huge, tremendously positive difference to the world.

Having said that, some medications are available in vegetarian capsules. Traditional Hindu, Muslim, and Jewish dietary laws prohibit the consumption of certain animals, and some medicine companies cater to these needs by supplying medicines in plant-derived capsules. Just ask your doctor.

The Vegan Society has more information about vegetarianism and medications: https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-and-health/medications

1 - 4 of 4 Posts