VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone! I just joined this board and my fiancee and I are getting married in April. We both live in Ontario and plan to have a vegetarian/vegan reception since that's what each of us are but wanted to know if any of you have had one and if you could recommend any caterers in the Guelph/Kitchener area to host our occasion. We'd love to hear your thoughts on any services out there that you've used and were happy(or not so happy) with.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i had one. i went with a regular caterer rather than a vegetarian caterer. the reason is this: i had a particular menu that i wanted. all of the local vegetarian caterers had only a few options for buffets--and i wanted a sit-down dinner with a certain menu.

so, if you have something specific in mind, then just talk to as many caterers as you can and figure out whether or not they can do what you want and who will give you the best price for it.

congratulations!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I can't recommend a particular caterer in your area, but I can tell you to check with restaurants in the area you are looking at, as well as more traditional caterers. My husband and I are also both vegetarian and were able to have the wedding of our dreams, with a little hard work and persistance. Good luck and congratulations, April is a beautiful month for a wedding!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
If I were to get married again (which I suppose is not a totally unrealistic idea) I would definitely have a vegan reception.

I just attended a wedding in a very small town, where the couple (lacto-ovo-veg) had the local Thai place cater a BEEE-YOO-TEE-FUL buffet. The bride said there were no catering options in their town until they thought of asking this restaurant to cater and it turned out absolutely amazing!!

So - ask around restaurants, caterers, etc. You may be surprised at what you can find.

And congrats!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow. thank you so much for all the wonderful responses! I'll pass the info onto my mate and let you know which direction we go...

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm drooling over the idea of a buffet or catered meal where I don't have to wonder what's in everything.

My sister was vegan when she got married - they were on an EXTREMELY tight budget, so it was a family-catered meal (sisters and moms and aunts did the cooking). Pasta, salad, and I forget what else. Stuff the omnis could recognize and would therefore eat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I got married three years ago, we had a vegetarian reception. We just contacted regular caterers and went with the one that had the best dishes (which you should get to sample, if it's a good caterer). My parents were worried that people would miss the meat, but we got so many compliments on the food. I agree with going with foods people will recognize, don't bother with a seitan roast!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't recommend a caterer, but I can recommend a meal. I'm getting married in April too (in IL), and we're serving

Wild Mushroom Stuffed Ravioli in a Creamy Alfredo Sauce

Green Bean Almondine

Roasted Red Potatos

To start, a fresh garden salad with strawberries and raspberry vinigarette

·
Registered
573 Posts
We actually a "fast casual" restaurant called Taco Cabana cater a huge Tex Mex buffet of homemade tortillas and taco shells, black beans, refritos, shredded lettuce and cheese, tomatoes, fresh pico and salsas, guacamole, sour cream, rice and corn. It was AMAZING, the lack of meat was a total non issue. No one said anything positive or negative at all about no meat, they just talked about how good the food was. And the greatest thing was that after the fast food restaurant had figured out alternative pricing for the special vegetarian food, it came out to be like $3 per person.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybveggie View Post

I can't recommend a caterer, but I can recommend a meal. I'm getting married in April too (in IL), and we're serving

Green Bean Almondine

Roasted Red Potatos

Oh wow...

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybveggie View Post

Green Bean Almondine

Roasted Red Potatos

I would so come to a wedding that had that as the menu. Whether I know the couple or not doesn't matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts