VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few months I've gone through somewhat of a transformation. First I turned vegetarian, then I went vegan, then I erased all items of animal components from my house, then I started buying fairtrade food etc etc.

Has this happened to anybody else? I don't know why, but ever since I turned Vegetarian, I've been becoming more aware of global issues, and a bit more of a (dare I say it) hippie.

Just wanted to bring the topic up, thanks for reading!

- AAV

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have also become more aware and sensitive to global issues. I went from a capitalist, free trade-loving libertarian to well, I don't know what. I just don't believe in the same things anymore.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think it goes with the territory. You decide you want to become a vegetarian and to do so you sort of end up immersing yourself in the lifestyle and, along with it, anything that is sort of connected to it. Organic, free-trade, etc. Esp if you read books on vegetarianism or stuff on the web, you learn about the other issues connected to it and start to care about them too.

Same thing happened to me. I actually became veggie after reading a book on environmental issues 17 years ago! It mentioned something about how much water it takes to make beef and land detoriation involved and than the 'side comment' about the how the animals are treated. I was like "What about the animal treatment?" - So, even though, the animal reasons was the main reason I did it, I came to it through other issues.

Veggies come in all sorts but nothing wrong with being a hippie! I wouldn't be anything else!

·
Registered
590 Posts
thats exactly how it was with me. I feel that i loved everything a lot more. Animals, my family, global issues, etc. it made me become more aware and want to question the things that i always thought were fine the way they were.

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I think it goes with the territory. You decide you want to become a vegetarian and to do so you sort of end up immersing yourself in the lifestyle and, along with it, anything that is sort of connected to it. Organic, free-trade, etc. Esp if you read books on vegetarianism or stuff on the web, you learn about the other issues connected to it and start to care about them too.

Veggies come in all sorts but nothing wrong with being a hippie! I wouldn't be anything else!
Pretty sure you mean fair trade here!

Anywho...
I was hippie first which eventually made me learn enough about my surroundings and environmentalism to care to purchase as much as possible in season, local, organic, fair trade and yes all the humans in my family are vegan...

I'm glad it goes the other way too!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I guess this thread is over. In the title it seems this thread should end with "Ecowarrior". Oh, that was "echowarrier" who posted there. Ok, carry on.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I'd say a number here have taken that route.

I read the title though as "being vegetarian is greater than being vegan which is in turn greater than being and eco-warrior". I was worried!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, me too. I think people who become veggie on their own (rather than by doctor's orders or something) are generally pretty aware to begin with, otherwise they wouldn't have done so. And in my own case, doing research into how to be a healthy vegan inevitably leads to other issues.

In other words, I'm sure we've all experienced those people who know on some level that using animal and animal-tested products is wrong, but they'd rather close their eyes to the issues in order to maintain their "blissful", blue pill lifestyles. But those of us who go forward with eyes open can't help but see.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I finally became a vegan and it wasn't a surprise to me. I'd always had this "nagging" feeling when eating meat and especially eggs (it was easier to separate myself from an animal when eating meat well done, but eggs? It's just so...personal).

To me I always liken it to, say, when I learn a new word. Because once I learn that word, it seems to always happen that the rest of that day I'll hear and read or come across that word about 4 more times, when I could have SWORN I had never heard it before. Over time I've thought, "coincidence?"

No. It's just that once you focus on something, a door opens....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Me too. I went vegan and started questioning where my clothes were from (sweatshops?) to boot, something I'd not given much thought before to be honest, although I always did buy fairtrade coffee etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts