VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I've decided to become a vegetarian. I am a high school sophomore who has always loved animals and has always thought about vegetarianism in the back of my mind.

Now, it has become a reality. Biology class was the catalyst.

I learned that we were going to be dissecting fetal pigs in my class. It immediately disturbed me. I just can't imagine doing anything like that! When my teacher began discussing the process, I grew emotional. He stopped, turned around and asked what was wrong with me in this awful tone. I didn't reply. He continued in gross detail.

The next day was basically a repeat. I have spent the entire week thinking about this and how awful it is. I've never been particularly fond of looking at raw meat in a store or in my fridge but always ate it because that's what was for dinner. Now, I've made the decision to refuse meat. I don't think I can bear to eat anything that I know was walking around not that long ago. I don't want to wear any of my suede or leather shoes, either. It's not necessary to kill animals for these purposes!

Just felt like getting this out there. Has anyone had a similar experience? It would be nice to talk to someone who understands. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hello and welcome to the VeggieBoards!

You will definitely meet many like-minded folks here who are also concerned with the fact that we don't believe that animals were made for the sole purpose of feeding us, clothing us, and entertaining us.

You will also find a very harsh world outside of veg*anism. People have a way of rejecting the unfamiliar.

Best of luck in your journey. Remember to do your research and take your B12 supplement.

If you have any questions, we here at VB will not hesitate to answer them to the best of our ability for you.

And finally, go you for making such an important decision!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, thanks!

My lunch period did not go so well today. No one even took the time to listen to my reasons. I felt...shunned.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuislamorse View Post

Again, thanks!

My lunch period did not go so well today. No one even took the time to listen to my reasons. I felt...shunned.
That happens a lot in the beginning. A lot of people think that you're just trying to shove your beliefs down their throats. Some people will be more intent to care than others.

When I first went vegan this guy would fight me every single day at lunch. He would just full-on bash my beliefs and try to talk down to me and try to talk down my way of life.

Don't let it discourage you. The important thing is that you have let go of ignorance to embrace enlightenment and you know it in your heart of hearts that you are doing something right and that this change is for the better.

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Again, thanks!

Thats o/k , its where you are that counts , best to keep your views quite for a while .In time the weeds and the flowers will sort themselves out and some one will talk / share your views .

Also how people react isn't always how they think .....some will go away and
..maybe he had a point

you probably know but there is also teen posting board

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

best to keep your views quite for a while .
I'm going to disagree with this statement, but I'm going to say it depends on you.

Remember that stating your beliefs can cause backfire and some people do stay quiet about it, but don't feel obligated to be shut off about your beliefs if you don't want to be.

When I go to restaurants and I'm being picky and wanting everything made special, I just flat out say, "I am sorry about how complicated I am. I'm a vegan so I like to know what's in my food. Thank you for being so nice about it."

Be polite and courteous, but don't feel like it's your duty to satisfy everyone else and keep your mouth shut about your beliefs.

No one tells religious people to stay quiet.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Welcome to VB!

The first piece of advice I'll give you is to make sure you eat healthy. Some people just stop eating meat and make meals out of whatever side dishes their families are eating with the meat. That's not a balanced diet.

Google the vegetarian food pyramid. Read what you can here. Check out the book "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. Make sure you're getting enough vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids.

As for HandcuffedAngel's experience with the guy who insults you at every opportunity, I would have asked him to his face "Do you practice being an ******* or does it just come naturally?" Tell him to either go away or accept you, because you're not changing and his whining is getting on your nerves. Don't put up with a hostile environment.

--Fromper

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I fought at first ... I did. After a while I just stopped going near him and if he yelled something at me I acted like I didn't hear him.

Those people don't exist in my world anymore. I don't need 'em.

What I found most of the time was people saying really stupid crap like, "You're vegan? More meat for me."

I don't think it's funny, but I choose to take it as them insulting themselves because they are. "Hi, I'm a glutton and I'll eat my share and yours!" You go right ahead.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Welcome! and congratulations!! I'm a sophomore in high school too, sorry no one listened when you tried to explain your vegetarianism people really should try to be more open minded. Be sure to check out the teen form and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
The fetal pig thing in bio was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me too. I could no longer disassociate my food from an animal. That was 12 years ago with no end in sight
I hope you have the same success!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, and welcome!

I had a very similar experience in jr high. I was about 13 and had always loved animals, but never really thought about eating meat. In biology we were given an assignment to collect bugs, freeze them to kill them and then to stick them with a pin and place them on a board for display. I asked for an alternative assignment (I was one of the only ones to do so) because I felt it was unnecessarily cruel. My teacher said she would be willing to let me do a report on a specific insect instead but asked if I ate meat (she was an omnivore herself) I said yes and she replied that it was a bit hypocritical. Her intent was to make me do the project, but it got me thinking. I quit meat completely over night and haven't looked back in seven years.
It is still one of the best decisions of my life.

I second that you shouldn't just eat side dishes or things like cheese pizza and macaroni and cheese. I did this for a very long time when I first went vegetarian (about 5 years) eventually my health was really poor so I learned to cook for myself and studied nutrition and now am doing well.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's really upsetting how closeminded so many people are in this world. My mom and my best friend have been really supportive of me so far, though. As for my bio teacher, he still says that I have to do the dissection virtually. I'd really rather take a zero than look at it. Oh well.

Anyway...today is my second full meat-free day! I feel really good about it. Everyone's support has been very helpful, too!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:

It's really upsetting how closeminded so many people are in this world. My mom and my best friend have been really supportive of me so far, though. As for my bio teacher, he still says that I have to do the dissection virtually. I'd really rather take a zero than look at it. Oh well.

Anyway...today is my second full meat-free day! I feel really good about it. Everyone's support has been very helpful, too!
Doing it virtually is not quite as bad. My school does the dissection portion of anatomy on laptop. It does show an actual pig, but it is a pig that died of natural causes and only one pig is used for all of the students that use that program [our program was called CyberEd].

Just remember it's virtual reality. In CyberEd the hardest part is the video clip of the incision you just made in the actual pig fetus. Just be prepared for it and remember that it's better than the alternative. Way better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

The fetal pig thing in bio was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me too. I could no longer disassociate my food from an animal. That was 12 years ago with no end in sight
I hope you have the same success!
How awful is it, though, to have to dissect a fetal pig? I mean, it's not like they were still-born. They were killed! I was the only person in my grade who refused the live dissection. I thought that was kind of shocking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

Doing it virtually is not quite as bad. My school does the dissection portion of anatomy on laptop. It does show an actual pig, but it is a pig that died of natural causes and only one pig is used for all of the students that use that program [our program was called CyberEd].

Just remember it's virtual reality. In CyberEd the hardest part is the video clip of the incision you just made in the actual pig fetus. Just be prepared for it and remember that it's better than the alternative. Way better.
Oh yeah, definitely better than the alternative!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.