1 tsp. garlic

1 can cream of celery, or vegetable soup for vegans

1 tsp. horseradish

herbs de provence to taste

salt and pepper to taste

1 tsp. worcestershire

2 cups mashed potatoes

1 cup grated colby cheese, or vegan cheese

Saute carrots, onions, garlic and beans until well done in olive oil. Stir in soup, horseradish, herbs, worcestershire, salt and pepper. Put in casserole dish and spread mashed potatoes on top. Cook at 350 for 20 minutes. Put grated cheese on top and cook another 5 minutes.

You can make Shepherd's Pie basically with any ingredients you want because there is really no standard recipe, so depending on what you have available in your kitchen, or what ingredients you prefer you can substitute just about anything for the vegetables and spices, if you don't like soy crumble you can even omit that and it is still incredibly delicious.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Watch out for worcestershire sauce, many brands contain fish. You can buy vegetarian special versions, though. Recipe sounds lovely! I would leave out the horseradish though ;-)

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
You can replace the soup with a white sauce. cook 2 tablespoons of flour in 2 tablespoons of oil until it starts to turn yellow, then add 1 1/2 cups of water or stock slowly, stirring, until it thickens up.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Watch out for worcestershire sauce, many brands contain fish. You can buy vegetarian special versions, though. Recipe sounds lovely! I would leave out the horseradish though ;-)
Yes, this is true I know some contain achovies, eek. Soy sauce would be a suitable replacement. Also I think broth would work as well, you could try a vegetarian gray if you like a heartier shepherd's pie as well.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I made something to this effect this weekend, with white beans and gravy instead of the soy ground and soup. I also left out the cheese (I've never had shepherd's pie with cheese, so no loss, ha). I added some autumn-y herbs (thyme, marjoram, etc), which worked very well.

Yum!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've got great response from the Shepherds pie recipe found in the book Modern Vegetarian Cooking by Peter Berley. In general the book is great. Seitan and mushrooms are a major component of the recipe - string beans are not added in my rendition. He also uses mirin as part of the seasoning. I love it when cooked to specs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottabox View Post

I've got great response from the Shepherds pie recipe found in the book Modern Vegetarian Cooking by Peter Berley. In general the book is great. Seitan and mushrooms are a major component of the recipe - string beans are not added in my rendition. He also uses mirin as part of the seasoning. I love it when cooked to specs.
I would love to see the recipe you recommend. Could you post it? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
WOW. I just looked up Modern Vegetarian Cooking by Peter Berley and that is ONE expensive book! $35.00 on Amazon.com!
Does it have many vegan recipes?

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Yerh I'm gong to give it a go to, I have 10 days looking after (and cooking ) for my nephews one just loves what I cook the other is picky ...i think it will work on him .

·
Registered
500 Posts
we fixed sheppards pie the other week. diff then this, but still good. rm did same thing with mine as theirs, but added boca crumbles instead of burger and put my silk in instead of cow milk. potatoes, cream corn, onions and then stuck it in the oven to cook.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts