VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your favorite type of vegetarian sausage patties? I'm lacto-ovo and I'm looking for something new. I've had the trader joe's brand before. Any others that you guys would suggest?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know of several kinds. If you're ovo-lacto vegetarian then you might like Morningstar Farms sausage patties. That brand makes the links too, but I did not like them. For a vegan choice, there is "GimmeLean" sausage that comes in a tube package where you can form the patties yourself and heat on a skillet. I will put a little bit of salt and pepper on them when I cook them because I like them a little spicier. The GimmeLean sausage, in my opinion, is the tastiest one I've tried.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
The Trader Joe's brand is vegan, relatively inexpensive, and damn tasty.

FWIW, I find that the vegan options don't nuke as well as the others, they have more of a "dirt" flavor/consistency nuked.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I agree with Nigel. The TJ's sausage patties do taste a little weird after being microwaved. They might taste better pan fried.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I like the Gimmelean the best too. the most tasty in my opinion.

I think the morningstar farms ones are good also.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I LOVED the Morningstar ones, but they aren't vegan

I just cannot get into the Gimme Lean flavor, it has a bitter after-taste to me? Like burned rubber. Must be just me, but I tried them several times and always was disappointed.

Haven't found the TJ ones, but I shop there about once every 37 years or so, I'll have to look for them.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
I like the whole foods house brand ones, no idea if they are vegan.

I only like gimme lean in gravy, I agree that it ain't quite right as patties

·
Registered
231 Posts
My first week as a vegan was a rollercoaster ride, and I was feeling pretty down one day UNTIL I made myself a burger with the Gimme Lean sausage (I added vegan cheese and mushrooms). It renewed my faith in vegan foods!!!! Now I have a recipe to make my own pizza dough and I crumble the Gimme Lean on that too...I LOVE IT!

Meat wasn't hard for me to give up really, I was always someone who had to think of other things when eating chicken, or ordered all my meat well done for fear of being grossed out. But sausage patties? Those were hard to say goodbye to (I think it was actually just the herbs they put in 'em). Hence my love affair with Gimme Lean

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think GimmeLean sausage is the best sausage on the market,I lioke it better then the real thing back in the days when I use to eat meat.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
They're the only ones I've tried, but the yves ones are good. Are Yves products only in canada? I never see them mentioned here...

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

They're the only ones I've tried, but the yves ones are good. Are Yves products only in canada? I never see them mentioned here...
I've never tried any of the sausages, so I can't comment there. As for yves, I'm eating their veggie lasagna for lunch as I type this - in Florida. So they're definitely down here, too, not just up north. Unfortunately, my supermarket only carries two flavors of their "TV dinners", the lasagna and the Thai chiken, which is too spicy for me. I've heard that they have like 4 other varieties that I can't get. I really like their lasagna, so I might have to go look in other stores to see if others have better variety.

--Fromper

1 - 20 of 34 Posts