VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any vegetarians please take some time to fill out this questionnaire to help with my university research project. thanks!

Questionnaire for vegetarians

1) What gender are you?

Male \t\tFemale

2) How old are you?

Under 18\t18-24\t\t25-30\t\t30-45\t\tOver 45

3) What age did you become a vegetarian?

____ years old

4) How long have you been a vegetarian?

____ years

5) Why did you become a vegetarian?

Dislike meat\t\tEthical issues\t\tEnvironmental issues\t\t

Family upbringing \tOther (please state) _____________________

6) Do you think more people should consider becoming a vegetarian?

Yes \t\tNo\t\tDoesnt bother me

7) If so why?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

8) What would you say are the main arguments for becoming a vegetarian?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

9) Have you experienced any disadvantages of being a vegetarian such as dieting or growth?

Yes\t\tNo

10) If so what?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
1) What gender are you?
Female

2) How old are you?
18-24\t

14 years old

6 1/2 years

Dislike meat, Ethical issues, Environmental issues (all three applied)

Yes

7) If so why?
My views are summed up rather fantastically in this quote:
"Isn't man an amazing animal? He kills wildlife - birds, kangaroos, deer, all kinds of cats, coyotes, beavers, groundhogs, mice, foxes and dingoes by the million in order to protect his domestic animals and their feed. Then he kills domestic animals by the billion and eats them. This in turn kills man by the million, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative -and fatal - health conditions like heart disease, kidney disease, and cancer. So then man tortures and kills millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases. Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals. Meanwhile, some people are dying of sad laughter at the absurdity of man, who kills so easily and so violently, and once a year, sends out cards praying for 'Peace on Earth.'" - David Coats

Health, animal welfare/ethics, environmental, religious.

9) Have you experienced any disadvantages of being a vegetarian such as dieting or growth?
No

10) If so what?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

1) What gender are you?

Female

2) How old are you?

18-24

11 years old

8 years

Ethical issues

Yes

7) If so why?

Because I believe it is immoral and cruel to eat meat. I know it's popular to believe it's "Up to the individual" but I don't think individuals ought to have a choice whether they kill and consume other animals, I think it ought to be illegal in order to protect animals who cannot protect themselves. Therefore, more people ought to become vegetarians for the sake of the animals.

That there is no need to eat meat, and therefore by eating meat you are choosing to end the life of an animal without valid reason. Animals can feel pain and suffer, and therefore we ought to not cause them suffering if we can help it. By being vegetarian you are making an important moral commitment to protect others, and cause less suffering, and that should be reason enough.

No

10) If so what? N/A

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Can any vegetarians please take some time to fill out this questionnaire to help with my university research project. thanks!

1) What gender are you?

Male Female

2) How old are you?

Under 18 18-24 25-30 30-45 Over 45

40 years old

10 years

Dislike meat Ethical issues Environmental issues

Family upbringing Other (please state) _____________________

Yes No Doesnt bother me

7) If so why?
vegetarianism (especially veganism) is better for human health, the environment, and animals

8) same as above

Yes No

10) If so what?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts

1) What gender are you?

Male Female

2) How old are you?

__33__ years old

__4__ years

Yes No Doesnt bother me

7) If so why?
_For the animals, their own health, the enviornment, etc __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

See last answer __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

Yes No

10) If so what?
_The one obvious disadvantage is finding veg meals at restaurants. Does that count? __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

--Fromper

·
Registered
57 Posts
1) What gender are you?

Male Female

2) How old are you?

__20__ years old

_0.5___ years

Yes No Doesnt bother me

7) If so why?
If they don't, basically the earth will die and then we're all in trouble, aren't we?
Even if they don't change their diets completely, I think they should at least do something, at least learn and think about what they're doing to the earth and the animals when they're eating their beef burgers and "tur-duck-ens"...

That's up to you. But, I'd say, my above rant about the earth dying because people won't give up or even cut back on foods just because they're tasty (which doesn't make meat eating right..) and because to me it's morally unjustifiable. You don't NEED to kill animals these days to get by, so it's unjust killing. If you were on death's door in the wilderness, fine, go for it, do what you have to. But until that time, meat eating is just thoughtless and selfish.

Yes No

10) If so what?

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
1) What gender are you?

Female

2) How old are you?

18-24

16 years old

7 years

Ethical issues

Yes

7) If so why?
Most animals used for meat, dairy, and eggs are treated horribly; most people can be healthy without consuming these products (or greatly reducing their consumption). Also modern intensive farming is terrible for the environment, the overuse of antibiotics leads to the evolution of drug-resitant bacteria, and there may be human welfare issues in the production of some of these products.

See 7

No

10) If so what?
NA

·
Registered
136 Posts
1) What gender are you?

Male Female

2) How old are you?

Under 18\t18-24\t 25-30\t 30-45\t Over 45

__8__ years old (for the first time)

__2_ years (since second time)

Dislike meat\t Ethical issues\t Environmental issues\t

Family upbringing Other (please state) and Health

Yes No Doesnt bother me

7) If so why?
Eating meat is almost always unnecessary. We can do without the environmental waste, the killing, and the unhealthy amounts of meat we eat.
The fact that something is common good is not a good reason to accept it, so yes, more people should at least consider becoming vegetarian/vegan.

See 7.

Yes\t No

10) If so what?
How about advantages? I'm at a better weight, less sick, emotionally calmer, enjoy my food more.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
1) What gender are you?
Male

2) How old are you?
30-45

21.5 years

Primarily ethical issues, but also environmental and rural issues

Yes

7) If so why?
We have better slogans for tshirts and bumper stickers.
And more interesting cookbooks. Less tongue in cheek, I usually turn the question 'why are you a vegetarian' around.

Depends on who I'm talking to, really. Sorry, but I don't know of any one-size-fits-all arguments.

No.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Vegetarian Questionnaire

1) What gender are you?

Male

2) How old are you?

Over 45

_27___ years old

28___ years

Ethical issues Environmental issues

Yes

7) If so why?
___Because I believe we all have a moral duty to let all animals live out their lives as was intended, and not end up on our plates. It is also healthier for the human race NOT to eat meat anyway.

_Ethics, morality the environment

No

10) If so what?

·
Registered
70 Posts

1) What gender are you?

Female

2) How old are you?

30-45

15 years old

22 years

Ethical issues, Environmental issues, Population/World Hunger issues and after years of being vegetarian I get sick when I eat meat

I became vegetarian in spite of a lot of resistance from my family. My dad's side of the family are ranchers, so were especially critical of my decision

Yes

7) If so why?

Being vegetarian has so many benefits for the person choosing that diet, the animals not suffering, the amount of resources used/environmental damage that it takes to produce meat. But I strongly beleive in educating people to make their own decisions and not forcing anyone to be vegetarian or not.

ethics, environment, world hunger, health

No health effects, actually my asthma went away once I became vegetarian.

In some parts of the country it is more difficult to find vegetarian options and sometimes it can impact your social life. Right now I work for an agency that includes the promotion of hunting and fishing and am being harassed because of my vegetarian lifestyle (there is a thread dedicated to this topic if you want more details)

10) If so what?
see answer to 9

·
Registered
29 Posts
1) Female
2)under eighteen
3)i was on and off because of problems with my parents but the first time i was 11 second time was 13
4)all of it included about a year otherwise about 5 months
5)i love animals, its great for the environment and its extremely healthy, i also hate the was animals are treated
6)yes
7) it is proven in medical research and school that a vegetarian or primarily vegetarian diet is the healthier choice. and it saves the environment. being a veggie helps control you blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, and can even reverse heart disease. but overall, being a vegetarian makes my moods feel better, i have more energy, and (personal comment) makes PMS a lot less severe and helps with cramps too (also a great fact, if your having bad cramps...EAT BANANAS
)
8)the main arguments about vegetarian diets are...its bad for your health, you wont get enough vitamins, meat is healthy, vegetarian food is too expensive, you wont be able to eat anything, ect...
9) no ive been absolutely great, i have never felt better in my life!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts

1) What gender are you?

Female

2) How old are you?

18-24

15 years old

5 years

Ethical issues\t Environmental issues\t

Yes

7) If so why?
It's such a healthy, awesome way to be, so i would love it if the world wanted to be healthy.

Health, Animal's lives, environment.

No

·
Registered
222 Posts
1) What gender are you?
Male

2) How old are you?

12 years old

8 years

Ethics

Definitely

7) If so why?
Ecologically speaking, our days are numbered. Meat consumption destroys the environment, and wastes farmland, food and water. Not to mention, we could very likely end world hunger, once and for all, if we stopped wasting resources on the production of meat. Widespread veg*nism is imperative for survival of life on earth.

See above.

Nope.

10) If so what?

·
Registered
12 Posts
1) What gender are you?

Male Female

2) How old are you?

12 years old

11 years

Yes No\t Doesn't bother me

7) If so why?
Ethics

Animal rights, animal welfare, sustainability, health

Yes\t No

10) If so what?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
1) What gender are you?

Male \t\t

2) How old are you?

25-30\t\t

19 years old

7 years

Ethical issues\t\t

Yes \t\t

7) If so why?

It's not just a personal decision. When we choose what to eat, we're impacting the lives of other sentient creatures and the health of the ecosystems that sustain us all.

People become vegetarian for different reasons. The main argument for me - I'll define "main argument" as the one that convinced me - is that I had routinely been paying other people to do horrible things to animals which I could never in good conscience do myself to any animals. Not dogs or cats, and therefore not any other animal either, because to discriminate based on species would be irrational. We're taught to love animals and to be kind to them. Every person who had a healthy childhood with even basic moral instruction was brought up with these principles from the earliest ages. To not be a vegetarian would not to be fully living by my values as a human.

No

10) If so what?

n/a

·
Registered
73 Posts
1) What gender are you? Female

2) How old are you? 36

3) What age did you become a vegetarian? 19

4) How long have you been a vegetarian? Do the math

5) Why did you become a vegetarian? Ethics and health.

6) Do you think more people should consider becoming a vegetarian? Yes

7) If so why? It is a sustainable diet that is not only beneficial environmentally, but economically as well.

8) What would you say are the main arguments for becoming a vegetarian? It is healthier overall, with the numbers regarding heart disease and cancer speaking for themselves. As well as the environmental and economic arguments.

9) Have you experienced any disadvantages of being a vegetarian such as dieting or growth? No

10) If so what?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

1) What gender are you?

Male \t\tFemale

2) How old are you?

33 years old

5 months

Family upbringing \tOther (please state) _____________________

Yes \t\tNo\t\tDoesn't bother me

7) If so why?
Because it would be nice to live in a world where animals are cherished.

It is a kinder way of life, with nicer food.

Yes\t\tNo

10) If so what?

·
Registered
195 Posts

1) What gender are you?

Male Female

2) How old are you?

17 years old

2.5 years

Yes No\t Doesn't bother me

7) If so why?
If people try vegetarianism and decide it isn't for them, fair enough. But everyone should try it at least once as it's easy, environmentally friendly and tasty, of course :)

That completely depends on the person, but even though I went veggie for ethical reasons, I would say the health factor is the best of all - IF you eat a PROPER diet.

Yes\t No

·
Registered
43 Posts

1) What gender are you?

Male \t\tFemale

2) How old are you?

15 years old

6 months, i'm just a baby

Family upbringing \tOther

Yes \t\tNo\t\tDoesn't bother me

7) If so why?

It will make you feel good about yourself, and animals too. I am happy, because I know that any animals aren't murdered because of me. Plus you'll feel light and be healthier. It's like floating on a death-free cloud.

People have different reasons on going vegetarian. I went veg for ethical reasons, but I tell people that it was for health. Just so I don't have to explain myself over and over again, that is - they just don't get it.

Yes\t\tNo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts