VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone here help me out? I'm looking for a quick and easy list of non-animal foods that contain protein. I've always assumed that beans, nuts and tofu were proteins. What am I missing??

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great link. Thanks a bunch.

I'll bet you're not that big of a weirdo ms. vegan chick.. No more than the rest of us.

·
Registered
236 Posts
you're very welcome

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember seeing something on PBS once, or maybe I heard it on NPR (What the hell? Perhaps I need some memory veggies.) This doctor was on there touting vegetarian lifestyle. He said that recent studies show that your body will extract the various nutrients out of the food you eat to give you what you need. He was saying just eat a variety of things and you will get what you need. Don't worry so much about the details. Since I love beans and nuts this wont be a problem. (Might be a problem for the others in the room..) But, my doctor (GP) says that you always have to have enough protein or things get weird. So, I just want to be sure that I get enough.

One example of what I'm talking about is people who diet, especially women. If we diet, lose a bunch of weight, but don't get enough protein in the process we end up with saggy skin. Protein keeps our skin healthy. Of course, diets like Adkins are way frikkin too much protein. (Ask me how I know.) Anyway, my logic seems to say that if you stay on a vegetarian diet you really can't eat too much protein. My logic says that if you eat beans, nuts, tofu, etc.. your body will just shed the extra without a lot of stress on your liver and kidneys, etc.. Unlike meat, the veggies don't have things like animal fat (grease). And, from what I have read most vegetable sources of protein aren't complete protein chains. (Been doing some reading) So, frequently it takes a mix of things to build a complete protein. So, when you eat said veggies and your body doesn't need anymore protein it just doesn't combine the nutrients and either passes the un-needed stuff or converts it to energy or fat.

I'm gonna keep reading because it's very interesting. Especially wading through bias and finding fact..

·
Registered
682 Posts
My husband was concerned about this so I started keeping track of our diets. It was an experiment that lasted about 2 weeks or so, entering all of our meals into nutritiondata.com and looking at the nutritional content over time. Turns out his fears were unfounded (I was not surprised, since as lacto/ovos I know we're both getting PLENTY of protein) but it calmed his fears that he would shrivel and die to see it in black and white that he was, in fact, getting plenty of it.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Sometimes when a vegetarian says, "beans" people don't think of it the same way they think of "meat." When they hear "meat" they think steak and bacon and beef and porkchops and (hopefully) chicken and fish. It's a category that contains a wide variety of flavors from many difficult cultures prepared in numerous ways. Well, so are beans! But because most nonveg*ns rarely eat beans (or only eat them in Taco Bell burritos) they don't think of the variety.

When they hear "beans" (or "legumes") oftentimes people don't think of All-American foods like split-pea soup, lima-bean succotash, or green beans. Some of my favorite bean-based foods are black bean burgers, lentil chili, edamame (steamed and salted), red beans and rice (a New Orleans favorite), and hummus.

Here is a list of beans (aka, vegan protein sources):
* asparagus bean or snake bean
* asparagus pea
* baby lima bean
* black bean
* black turtle bean
* Boston bean
* Boston navy bean
* broad bean
* cannellini bean
* chickpeas
* chili bean
* coco bean
* cranberry bean
* Egyptian bean
* Egyptian white broad bean
* English bean
* fava bean
* fava-coceira
* field pea
* French green beans
* frijo bola roja
* frijole negro
* great Northern bean
* green beans
* green and yellow peas
* kidney beans
* lima bean
* Madagascar bean
* Mexican black bean
* Mexican red bean
* molasses face bean
* mung bean
* mung pea
* mungo bean
* navy bean
* pea bean
* Peruvian bean
* pinto bean
* red bean
* red eye bean
* red kidney bean
* rice bean
* runner bean
* scarlet runner bean
* small red bean
* small white bean
* soy bean or soybean
* wax bean
* white kidney bean
* white pea bean

Beans, beans, long live beans!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Wow, I never knew there we so many beans, and I've been eating them for years. Cranberry beans sound lovely!

Here in England, when people talk about beans they mean canned baked beans. That's the only sort that a lot of people eat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the links, this is a great resource.

I know I get plenty of protein but it's nice to have a big list to spout off when people insist that there's no way I'm getting any protein.

I love beans and have been trying lots of new varieties since going veg*n. I keep being disappointed when eating what others cook though because so many people here put bacon in every bean dish. It's so frustrating. I'm working on getting my Mom to always fix my veggies minus the animal parts but she's been hesitate to change "just for" me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

If we diet, lose a bunch of weight, but don't get enough protein in the process we end up with saggy skin.
Generally, saggy skin comes from either stretching your skin out to the point that it can't shrink back (like gaining 150 lbs.), or losing it so fast that your body needs time to catch up. Generally, if you only lost about 50 lbs, your skin will shrink up after a year or so. I think people jump the gun with getting surgery for stretched out skin b/c they are impatient about waiting for it to shrink up. It would be extremely rare for it to come from not enough protein. Protein deficiencies are extra ordinarily rare in Western culture. So rare that I ahve, in 38 years, never met or heard of any one with one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been trying to figure out what to do when one doesn't like beans. I can't do them at all. If they get close to my face the gag reflex kicks in. I really wish I could. I will be checking out the links posted though. Thanks for those.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post

I have been trying to figure out what to do when one doesn't like beans. I can't do them at all. If they get close to my face the gag reflex kicks in. I really wish I could. I will be checking out the links posted though. Thanks for those.
How are you preparing them? What about them don't you like? Is it the taste or texture? Can you tolerate them when blended to make hummus, mixed to make veggieburgers, or made into falafel patties?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quinoa! Also tempeh and seitan. MMMM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.