VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Dogs can usually get away with it. Cat's... I guess more often than not they can too, but vegetarian fed cats do tend to have a measurably higher incidence of kidney and urinary problems. I don't have an ethical stance on the issue though, because in reality if your cats and dogs aren't out hunting rabbits and gazelle then they're already on a diet that wasn't the one nature intended for them. Even the highest priced brand names have fillers like brown rice (the lower ones have corn), which is not something these animals would ever eat, not in a million years, in their pre-domesticated habitat. Nonetheless, most seem to do fine on it and live longer than their wild counterparts, largely due to better medical care (humans share this trait with our wild, extinct counterparts :p). Feed them what you think is right, but do some research first and be aware of the risks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i believe in feeding as nature intended. my cats are obligate carnivores. one needs a raw food diet, the rest have canned and some dry (all premium with 95% meat). I personally think it's cruel to force my animals on my chosen diet.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
this has been asked SOOOOO many times, try searching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here i have a diet plan for small puppies,which contains vitamins like vegetables.
Give your dog a food : fipronil 9.8%,S-methoprene 8.8%.The fipronil gets help to the oil of the skin and hair follicles and nourish to bones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vegetarian diets can be safe and healthy for your dogs, but you need to be mindful of how much protein your dog is receiving. If you decide to go with no meat whatsoever, at a minimum your dog's diet must include protein-based foods or supplements

In addition to protein, you'll need to maintain the appropriate balance of vegetables, vitamins and minerals in a vegan or vegetarian diet for dogs to keep your dog healthy. To help ensure the right nutrient mix, include plenty of vegetarian food variety.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It might depend somewhat on the individual pet. My sister had a schnauzer who preferred veggie food. They'd give her a plate with roast chicken and steamed broccoli leftovers, and she'd gobble up the broccoli before even looking at the chicken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts