VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a really good movie tonight- The Good Girl, with Jennifer Aniston.

Very intriguing movie that I encourage all to see!

But anyway, I thought you guys might have something to say about the way vegetarians are portrayed in movies and TV shows.. One of the characters in this movie was Justine's coworker Gwen. She was shown saying proudly that she did not eat meat or dairy. She was eating a salad and saying that all Justine's health problems must be due to the meat and lack of vitamins. So then, she was killed off early in the movie because she ate blackberries that had parasites in them, and died of food poisoning. It made me think that they were trying to show vegetarians as being super health conscious, self-righteous, only to be wrong when they die themselves of poor health.

What do you all think of that?

b4s

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just the "normal" people who eat meat trying to feel better about themselves by having a laugh about the veggie?? At least she was'nt vegan, they probably would have made her anemic and pale. *rolls eyes.* And besides, thats why you WASH blackberries. riiight?

I dont know what to think. Just seems like having a little laugh over veggism. I remember hearing about a truck ad that said"The steak in a field of tofu" UMM? I think Ill have the tofu please.
Ill take the hybrid car! ANYWAYS>...coulda been worse. I will keep an eye out for veggies in movies!!
Only one I can think of is LIsa Simpson

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, veg*ns get a bad rap in entertainment. I found an ad for Silk Soymilk in the magazine "More" and it alluded to the fact nobody drinks it... it said something like "tired of being left out of the soymilk conversation at parties? come on... just try it."

I dunno... well this character I think was supposed to be vegan because she said she didn't eat dairy either. She made comments on how she was healthier than Justine and how maybe Justine's infertility problems were rooted in the chicken in her salad. She was kinda pale and thin... but then again so were most people in the movie. I dunno why they threw the vegetarian thing in there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
brake4squ-

I noticed that too in "The Good Girl" She was a vegan not vegetarian. I also wondered why they had to make her die.. It was like they were saying "vegaism can make you sick and die".

I didn't care for that movie much anyway.

Ice Age is a cartoon but It makes a bunch of refrences to a vegan diet in a positive light. Very cool.

I can't think of any other ones right now.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Well, as you know, stereotypes are one thing which are prevalent in society. You can use movies as a yardstick for culture. There are stereotypes of pretty much every social grouping. We stereotype people from New York as being angry, californians as being dumb and people from alabama as being rednecks. These are all common stereotypes.

However, many of the old stereotypes that used to be used have been used have been quashed by political correctness. old stereotypes against women, ethnic monorities etc are no longer used. However, no one has really complained about negative stereotypes of vegetarians. Hollywood can get away with portraying vegetraians in a negative way. Hell, we can write letters to the studios that produce the films, and hopefully, we can get them to stop the negative stereotypes, but many people will ocmplain that this is political correctness taken to the extreme. But I must admit that I do get offended at a lot of the negative stereotypes of vegetarians prevalent in many films. Kudos to the simpsons, where we have a positive role model, (Lisa Simpson) but other than that, there aren't relaly any vegetarians portrayed in a positive way, since vegetarianism is an ideology which is fair game to be exploited for a few cheap laughs in the eyes of hollywood.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
If anyone really cares, or wants it included (since there are movies)... All of the characters in Star Trek (other than Enterprise) are "vegetarian" as far as the fictional society itself (everything being replicated). And all "normal" Vulcans in the series have always been. It's a tad bit more positive look at it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
not worf, in fact most of them aren't, I believe. They eat replicated meat, and whatever is served on their away missions.

yeah, I'm a geek.

rigmarole

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Replicated meat is resequenced protein, it's not real meat. There was some episode where they were disgusted, or shocked at actual meat existing... can't remember which one though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Replicated meat = faux soy meat

No animals died in the making of replicated meat.

Cheif O'Brien isn't a vegetarian, as his mother brought him up to believe that you have to eat real meat, much to the shock of his wife, who never touched real meat before.

Worf eats meat, but at least he tries to kill it himself whenever possible.

All vulcans appear to be strict vegetarians and D'Pol appears to be vegan.

Hunting and raising animals for slaughter is outlawed on earth.

<--bigger Geek

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I rarely see positive portrayals of veg*ns in film. Even the little girl in "Jurassic Park" had a snooty attitude when she said "I'm a vegetarian."

Wait 'til you get a load of one of Katie Holmes' neighbors in "Pieces of April."

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tova

brake4squ-

I noticed that too in "The Good Girl" She was a vegan not vegetarian. I also wondered why they had to make her die.. It was like they were saying "vegaism can make you sick and die".

I understand why they had her die. It was very relavant to the plot as it contributed to Justine's situation and feelings, and the whole mood of the film.

I just don't think it was so necessary to have her be veg*n. She could have ate the blackberries and died being an omnivore.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by carnelian

John Corbett's character is vegetarian in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
That was a relatively positive portrayal, though I've heard meat-eating jerks say that it's just further proof that vegetarians are "pussies," in reference to the fact that he's just the love interest who kinda goes along with whatever she says.

Interestingly, far more women than men are vegetarians, but the number of male and female vegans is fairly even...

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Basically, veg*ns have a very negative representation in cinema and television. Star trek and the simpsons seem to be the exceptions, but the simpsons has always pushed the envelope, and star trek is a revolutionary television show. It had the first on screen inter-racial kiss apparently, and its also been stimulating intelligent television, as i see it. (Though I don't watch star trek, so I wouldn't know)

perhaps we should start complaining about negative veg*n stereotypes. that might get hollywood to offer some better role models. I really have no idea whether they'd do it, but hopefully if enough people do complain, they'll change their ways.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
As a filmmaker/actor, I hope to be someone that can employ the many vegan celebrities in films that will have positive vegetarian portrayals, without necessarily making veg*nism the focus of the film.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
"What do you mean he don't eat no meat? That's ok, I make lamb." My Big Fat Greek Wedding was funny

I don't know if the snooty attitude is necessarily so inaccurate, unfortunately. I know some veggies I come across do have it and it kinda makes me sad. I'd rather give people a positive impression of us if I'm the among the first veggies they've met. That way they're more likely to be tolerant of it in the future, and also more likely to think harder about it themselves!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Oh yeah! And can't forget Phoebe from Friends. I like her character. They don't play up the vegetarianism usually, and she's actually eaten meat on the show . Twice that I can remember... once when Joey promised he wouldn't eat meat to make up for her eating it (she was pregnant), and another time to please her boyfriend's parents and she ended up throwing up all over their closet.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I thought Sandra Bullock's character in Two Weeks Notice should have been vegan. I was so disappointed when she picked up the phone and ordered chicken chinese dishes galore.

Her parents were vegans in the movie. They were portrayed as snobby, uptight grumps. They ate tofu cake and stuff. The father would make comments to the daughter about the mom making him eat the stuff.

Not exactly showing vegetarianism or veganism in a positive light.

HahahaHA! You guys totally geeked out on here!!! HA! You should start "GeekBoards"...hehehehe (I mean that in a positive way- so many of my friends are total geeks (I seem to know a lot of engineers) and they are happy to be. Haha...so cute-

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I liked Bullock's parents in that film, far better than any other character in the film, and many people can relate to being forced in to a vegan diet due to health issues. Not as problematic as many other portrayals.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts