VeggieBoards banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm on a strict meal-plan and have been for the last couple of years and i want to become a vegetarian but i don't know how to nudge things. i wondered if anyone had any ideas or tips on how to structure a maintenance balanced diet? thanks =]

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You're better off looking up some literature or speaking to a nutritionist. This is a pretty big job for an internet forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've tried to get an appt with a nutritionalist but the one i see is booked up for just over a month so i'm at a bit of a loose end and i wanted to start becoming vegetarian sooner rather than later since i've wanted to for years and my mother (i still live with my parents) only just said 'fine, do what you want' -roll eyes-

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm sure that if you give us an idea of your meal plan we'd be able to help with suggestions on how you can amend it to a vegetarian diet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
meal plan goes like this:<br><br>
breakfast - humous sandwich OR ham bagel OR peanut butter / nutella on wholegrain toast (normally cut from a baked loaf from the bakery) with a fruit juice<br><br>
mid morning - piece of fruit / low fat yoghurt (weight watchers) / low calorie hot chocolate - basically 50 calories<br><br>
lunch - 1 portion carbs (bagel, two slices wholemeal bread, 1 and a half pita etc) with 1 portion protein (normally i have ham or humous) with 1 portion fruit (either a piece of fruit of a smoothie) with 1 portion dairy (cheese in bagel/sandwich or yoghurt) with high fat component (cereal bar, couple of squares chocolate etc)<br><br>
mid afternoon - piece of fruit with something that's 175 calories (smoothie, crunchie, plain ham sandwich without butter with lettuce, cookie etc)<br><br>
dinner - normally smallish portion shepherds pie or some mince with potato or bacon/chicken with cheese sauce and potatoes or fishcake with potato and a huge amount of veg or salad but normally veg)<br><br>
evening snack - something that's around 200 calories... (cereal, muller rice, toast with PB or nutella or jam, two cookies and a hot chocolate etc)<br><br>
also... some healthy, filling snack ideas would be nice as well, i want to try and be more flexible with snacks instead of sticking rigidly to the calorie content.<br><br>
thank you for taking the time to reply, hoping that i get some more feedback =]

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
In the meantime until you can get an appointment with a Registered Dietitian, here is my suggestion of how to alter your current diet to make it veg:<br><br>
breakfast - hummus sandwich OR peanut butter / almond butter on wholegrain toast with a fruit juice<br><br>
mid morning - piece of fruit / SOY yoghurt / chocolate almond milk warmed<br><br>
lunch - 1 portion carbs (bagel, two slices wholemeal bread, 1 and a half pita etc) with 1 portion protein (hummus, vegan deli slices, nut butter, soy cream cheese) with 1 portion fruit with 1 portion calcium-rich food like kale or fortified OJ (if you feel you need added fat beyond what's in the hummus or nut butter then add an avocado or flax seeds here or add some olive oil at dinner)<br><br>
mid afternoon - piece of fruit or see other snack options below<br><br>
dinner - VEGAN shepherds pie (try Amy's) or a couple baked potatoes with beans on top or vegetarian tacos with soy meat or a pasta primavera and a huge amount of veggies or a green salad. Remember, it's OK to add some table salt to your meal.<br><br>
evening snack - cereal with soy or almond milk, fresh fruit, carrot sticks, an energy bar, a small handful of nuts, popcorn, vegan pudding, vegan cookies, steamed edamame, etc.<br><br>
Also, pop a multivitamin or take a b12 tablet.<br><br>
Then track what you eat for a couple weeks and bring that diary to a Registered Dietitian for advice on what changes to make to help you reach your goals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's fantastic, thank you so much, how would i make chocolate almond milk? because that sounds amazing =ooo and what's vegan pudding?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Chocolate almond milk: <a href="http://store.bluediamond.com/Almond-Breeze-Chocolate_p_11.html" target="_blank">http://store.bluediamond.com/Almond-...late_p_11.html</a><br>
Or get plain or vanilla and add chocolate sauce<br>
You could also do soy or any other kind of nondairy milk (rice milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, etc)<br><br>
Pudding: <a href="http://zensoy.com/products/" target="_blank">http://zensoy.com/products/</a><br>
Or you can make you own. Here are some recipes: <a href="http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=248.0" target="_blank">http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=248.0</a>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that sounds fantastic. i nipped by a health-food shop earlier and picked up some chocolate rice milk - if i bought a large carton of almond/rice milk could i just mix it with some cocoa powder to make it chocolate?<br><br>
thank you so much for the help. =]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
there's ready made chocolate flavors for almond as well. i can't remember the brand I picked up last time, but I snagged the dark chocolate one. wasn't bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
couldn't find any ready made large cartons, i was in two hippy-ish alternative food shops today and there were no large cartons =[

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I get the nesquick cartons for strawberry and chocolate not sure if that is Vegan or Veg or not however, they do the job and I tried it once with almond milk and it was great.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Spark people has free vegetarian meal plans for weight loss and maintenance. They are not as varied and adventurous as they could be, but they are balanced and do the trick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts