VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've just decided that vegetarianism is for me, and i need some good lunch ideas. I refuse to eat that slop that they serve at public schools lol.

Sandwiches sound good to me, but anybody else have some tried and true ideas?

Also my parents are giving me some grief about buying the necessary goods to be a herbivore. How do i convince them that i really want to do this, and that i'll eat whatever i buy?

·
Registered
432 Posts
As far as getting your mom to let you buy the herbie foods you need, how about you start out by looking in the recipe section and picking a few yummy recipes to make yourself for dinner, and just buy ingredients for that? I did that at first and my mom was alot more chill knowing I had an actual purpose for the foods.

As far as the cafe food, I feel for you. Cafeteria food is pretty gross. Do you have a little travel thermos? You can make pasta, soup, ect and put it in a thermos so it stays warm. Thats usually what I do. Otherwise, if I'm seriously in a bind, I just bring a pb and J sandwich, and some other snackies, then load up on the veggies and vitamins when I get home. Just make sure you eat something that has lots of vitamins and minerals for breakfast. Its hard to find stuff to bring to school.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

um..ok i just realized that book is no help. It's sold out and the weirdo trying to post one on amazon wants $300! lol sorry about that. But there are other similar books out there.
The original is sold out, but she is coming out with "a brand new, completely revised edition" in March (Vegan Lunch Box).

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I take my lunch to work every day and some of the things that I pack include

Stir fry tofu and veggies over rice

Snobby joes (sloppy joes with lentils in place of beef) and salad

peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a fruit cup and silk

leftover honey-mustard seitan with rice, and an orange

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Veggie sushi is a great thing to pack in your lunch box. It's so easy to make and the ingredients are fairly cheap. Since you are vegetarian, you could make tamago (sweet egg sushi) or sushi rolls with things like rice, avocado, cucumber strips, carrot strips, or almost any veggie. I also put little marinated tofu chunks in my sushi.

Tomato cups stuffed with nut patte, sprouts, or salad ingredients are yummy and easy to throw together the night before. Hummus is also really good in tomato cups, or on sandwiches.

Lettuce or cabbage wraps make great wraps. Fill them up with things like avocado chunks, slivered veggies, crushed nuts, and make a peanut sauce to dip them in. I've brought the wraps in a lunch box before. I wrapped them in plastic wrap to keep them together. I made some peanut sauce and put it in these small containers I found at the .99 cent store. Peanut sauce is really easy to make and store ahead of time. You can also buy a premade bottled version at most grocery stores in the Asian section

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention. Another cool thing I found at the store in the organic pantry section was boxed Silk soymilks that are individual sized. They were fairly inexpensive and come three to a pack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YAY!! Well i went to the store with my parents and they got me pretty much everything that i wanted ^.^ I got home and drained and pressed my tofu, then i sauteed it in a salt and pepper oil mixture. I put it on a piece of flat bread with miracle whip and drizzled a little soy sauce on it...YUM!! I was so excited that i liked tofu, i was afraid that i wasn't going to. I got some silk, and i LOVE it!! I'm so excited that i like all of my new veggie foods, i also got some dried fruits, veggies, almonds, white rice, soy sauce, pitas,fruits(rasberries,blueberries,blackberries,b ananas,strawberries etc), Special K red berries, very vanilla silk "milk" is awesome! I was worried that i wouldn't like it.

All in all I'm really excited about all of this ^.^ Tomorrow for lunch i'm going to have another tofu pita sandwich tomorrow and veggies and ranch (peanut butter for the celery), and some dried fruit. I'm probably going to drink a propel with it. It sounded like a pretty good lunch to me, how bout you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't been veggie for long, so I have the same question. But so far, I've been doing great with peanut butter sandwiches a few times a week (which is what I usually have anyways), and wraps made out of what I had for dinner- I had Lentil Minestrone a few days ago, drained the leftovers, and put it in a tortilla with a few fresh veggies. Bean salad in a pita is delicious too. If I have pizza for dinner, I put a slice in my lunch. You can also make veggie sandwiches with lettuce, avocado, tomato, cheese, etc. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pIrish View Post

OH NO! She made an announcement on her blog yesterday that the date for the new book has been pushed back until August (late July at the soonest).
That's crummy....but it's definately worth waiting for. I have the first edition, but would really like the revised one. Some of the recipes in the first one are wrong w/the measurements and I would really like to see more pictures of what I am making.

The author lives here in my home town. I am impressed something like this came from this town that is so non-veg.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby524 View Post

YAY!! Well i went to the store with my parents and they got me pretty much everything that i wanted ^.^ I got home and drained and pressed my tofu, then i sauteed it in a salt and pepper oil mixture. I put it on a piece of flat bread with miracle whip and drizzled a little soy sauce on it...YUM!! I was so excited that i liked tofu, i was afraid that i wasn't going to. I got some silk, and i LOVE it!! I'm so excited that i like all of my new veggie foods, i also got some dried fruits, veggies, almonds, white rice, soy sauce, pitas,fruits(rasberries,blueberries,blackberries,b ananas,strawberries etc), Special K red berries, very vanilla silk "milk" is awesome! I was worried that i wouldn't like it.

All in all I'm really excited about all of this ^.^ Tomorrow for lunch i'm going to have another tofu pita sandwich tomorrow and veggies and ranch (peanut butter for the celery), and some dried fruit. I'm probably going to drink a propel with it. It sounded like a pretty good lunch to me, how bout you?
I am SO happy for you. It sounds like you're doing strict veggie (since you got silk instead of milk) or at least ovo-vegetarian, and either way I'm totally impressed you're jumping from omni to veggie in one bound. Congratulations!!

I LOVE tupperwear: i like real food, hehe. For some lunches, today I roasted some onions, bell peppers, and eggplant and put them into tupperwears. I considered pouring some lentils ontop but in the end decided against. What makes a nice sort of "complete" tupperwear to me consists of a dish with greens, some beans, sometimes some carbs (wild rice, whole grain couscous, quinoa, potatoes..) and something a little colorful (roasted sweet peppers, tomatoes, roasted carrots). Of course, I eat a lot..so I tend to just pack all of these in their own tupperwears.

Oh, sometimes I take a HUGE tupperwear of salad (all the dry stuff) and a smaller one with its dressings and "wet" stuff (sliced tomatoes, pickled artichokes, mandarin slices, dressing..)

Pasta is hugely easy--but like I said I'm not a fan of grains.

As for sammiches--you can make your own veggieburgers or buy them (i recommend ones that don't pretend they're meat: they're healthier.) or use a slice of grilled tofu, or just make a spread sammich--doesnt have to be peanutbutter n jam, you can use hummus, baba ganoush, or other spreads--bean spreads are especially good for us veg*ns as we need them proteins. ^__^

There are tons of veggie blogs out there with recipes, they're super easy reads with lots of tempting photos, so visit a few and start seeing what there is. Tofu-N-Sprouts (who is a poster here!) has a great one, as does Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. They both link hundereds more. Plus there's a recipe section on these forums.

Anyway, again so happy for you: hope everything works out amazingly!

Oh: as for parents. Mine were super against all this too. It helps to (a) Make sure you know a lot about nutrition... Mine seemed to be tamed quite a bit when they noticed that I could list off what was amazing about each veggie I ever put on the table.. which brings me to b and c. (b) Eat well. If they notice you're living off of instant noodles, you're gonna get frowns. (c) Share! If they taste how great and filling your food is they'll calm down: you're NOT starving yourself nor are you sacrificing any enjoyment: you're just doing it without hurting anything! (except a few plants.. but we cant win em all)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok so people suggests heaps of great ideas already.

But I am super lazy when it comes to work lunches :p haha

I make myself a sandwich with fake "chicken" with lettuce, tomato and carrot in mulitgrain bread. Its really easy and quick (thats what I like!)

But, I only work 2 days a week, I wouldnt suggest having fake meat everyday

1 - 17 of 17 Posts