VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a vegetarian my whole life and only recently have put on weight. I'm 29 and a few years ago got a desk job- this has obviously contributed to things considering my previous job was retail management. Now I'm 14st whereas I've always been about 12, so am looking at my diet in addition to increased exercise. Reducing carbs is supposed to be one of the best ways to do this, especially as my diet has always been very high in them with bread, pasta etc. I'm finding this harder then usual when it comes to snacks, even fruit has more carbs then I'd expect.

Does anybody have any advice or recommendation for low carb veggie snacks?

Cheers

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Couldn't you replace some of the high carbohydrate with fruit? What about snacking on vegetables instead? The increased intake of fruit and vegetables would be a lot better for weight loss, and would be healthier for your body too.

Ever thought about just sucking on an aniseed ball? One of these can last for ages, and could possibly take hunger cravings away. Julian Graves sells vegan aniseed balls.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
the subject of carbs is not inherently a bad subject! The pasta if not whole grain as well as white bread certainly could be problems if you are eating too much, but our energy and brain power come from complex carbs in whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables! Keep your fruit servings to about 3 per day if trying to lose weight. MEasure out your cooked brown rice to a half cup, and no more than one cup of whole wheat pasta for a serving.

You want to increase your fiber intake, which will help you feel fuller longer, and you want to ditch the simple sugars/carbs in white pasta, bread and preferably rice, although occasional white rice won't kill you, if you need to eat it.

What is a typical day's food intake like? How much sugar are you consuming in soda, snacks or processed foods? Have you gotten rid of the high fructose corn syrup in your diet? Are you eating sugary cereals in the am, processed foods for lunch and snacks in the afternoon?

Do you cook for yourself? ARe you adept at cooking?

You asked for vegetarian snacks, so are you ovo-lacto? stick to snacks with little fat or sugar in them, like low or no fat pretzels, fresh fruit/veggies and a small amt of hummus. cheese just adds extra calories without any significant nutrients, so try to limit or eliminate empty calories. We use triscuit crackers or Back To Nature whole grain crackers with some cucumber slices on them.

Let us know what you like too!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Some good advice here. I've also found that eating too many processed grains like bread and pasta (even though whole grain) was giving me problems. So recently, I decided to focus more on vegetables, fruits, and beans as my "carbs" and reduce my grains and processed grains. It hasn't been too bad so far. However, I should add that I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian right now, so I am eating dairy products and eggs.

One vegan snack that I do have is hummus. You can find ready made hummus in the health food store that doesn't contain too many additives or you can easily make your own (do a search for "hummus" on the web and you'll find a lot of recipes). I usually eat it with a big green salad or with veggies, using it like a dip.

Tam

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
This may seem like a pointless statement but... Energy only comes from carbohydrates if you happen to be eating them. This is the simple version of what prevents you from burning fat instead, and why low carbohydrate diets work so well for losing weight.

If you consume mostly fat calories and restrict carbohydrates, your body will turn into a fat burning machine because it no longer has frequent insulin responses preventing it from doing so.

On a vegetarian ketogenic diet my staple food, so to speak, is coconut. High fat, adequate protein, low carbohydrate is what will help you lose weight if you are having trouble doing so. A couple pieces of fruit here and there aren't going to throw you off too much. Even though they are high in sugars, the quantity is just so much lower than what most people are getting from other sources. It's the sugar (which includes all forms of concentrated fructose i.e. corn syrup, honey, agave nectar) and refined flours that will really throw you off.

I would highly suggest reading Gary Taubes's book "Why We Get Fat," though I will warn you in advance that he is a bit anti vegetarian. Nonetheless, I believe the information is accurate and can easily be used to improve a vegetarian diet for someone that is having trouble losing weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.