VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
It is amazing to me that this is just starting to get public attention. My initial reason for deciding to go vegetarian 5-6 years ago was because of the environmental impact.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

It is amazing to me that this is just starting to get public attention. My initial reason for deciding to go vegetarian 5-6 years ago was because of the environmental impact.
It's something a lot of people don't consider.

·
Registered
998 Posts
People don't see how going veg*n will help the environment. I'm in this community cleaning program, and I thought I would meet some veg*ns because eating meat and the environment are so closely related and they seem very passionate, but none of them that I've asked are vegetarians.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

It's something a lot of people don't consider.
I never considered it before becoming a vegetarian, and I thought of myself as an environmentally conscious person.

When people ask me why I'm a vegan, I tell them mainly for ethical reasons, but also for health and environmental reasons. The first thing they usually say is "It's better for the environment?"

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually found out about it 17 years ago when reading up on environmental issues - I forget which book it was but it was about things you could do to save the environment. Stop eating meat was one thing.

I think it mentioned more about how much water is wasted making a pound of meat (it is something like 1 gallon) than it did about the effect on the climate and then it mentioned something about the way the animals are treated and there was a picture. I was shocked! I went to go and find out more about it and that was it for me.

Kind of funny how this issue sort of sort of lead me to it originally. Until then I had always thought that meat came from animals who died of natural causes!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
So nice to see this getting attention!
I was so disappointed that Al Gore never once mentioned a vegetarian diet in An Inconvenient Truth. Yet, he did mention how great it was growing up on his cattle farm. Maybe he isn't ready to face that inconvenient truth!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful View Post

So nice to see this getting attention!
I was so disappointed that Al Gore never once mentioned a vegetarian diet in An Inconvenient Truth. Yet, he did mention how great it was growing up on his cattle farm. Maybe he isn't ready to face that inconvenient truth!
Yeah, that was unfortuate but it does say on the Inconvenient Truth website to eat less meat ...better than nothing I guess!

http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeact...do/index4.html

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Great article. It reaffirms the main reasons I went veg. The environment was my main concern, and everything was an added bonus.

I'm gonna be printing this off and distributing it to anyone who asks why I'm a vegetarian.

·
Registered
282 Posts
We need to keep spreading this good sense so that people can develop some! You never know when we will reach a tipping point with an individual person or with a whole society, so we need to keep plugging along, spreading the word, talking to whoever, writing wherever, wearing veg button/shirts/etc., spending in some places and not in others, and living by example!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts