Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vegetarian Irish Stew - crockpot

Category: Main Dishes - Other

Suitable for a: vegetarian diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

1 - pkg Morningstar Farms Griller Crumbles, or your favorite meat substitute, up to two pounds.

2 cups onion, chopped

2 cups potatos, chopped

2 cups celery, chopped

2 cups carrots, chopped

1 cup sliced mushrooms

2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp sugar

3 cups tomato juice/sauce

2 cups canned or frozen peas

Instructions:

Cut up all the veggies (except for the peas) into 2-inch chunks and add to crockpot. Open Morningstar package and pour on top of veggies in crockpot. Add the salt, pepper, sugar and tomato sauce. Cook on low for 6-9 hours (I let it go for the full 9 hours because I usually cook this while I'm at work). About 15-30 minutes before you're ready to eat, add the peas into the crockpot and let cook for those last 15-30 minutes.

Additional comments:

Although I always make this in my crockpot, the original recipe said it can be cooked it in a 250 degree oven for 6 hours.

This goes GREAT with that No-Knead Bread recipe that appeared in the New York Times last fall.

I don't know how to post photos here, but I posted a photo of this stew on my blog:

http://veggiecookster.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
381 Posts
Oh, yay! I made this stew last winter and couldn't get enough of it. It was soooo good. I was looking for the recipe again and finally found it! Sadly, I'm without a crockpot this time around, but I'll use my oven if I find the time. Thank you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
this sounds extra yummy!! i always like seeing pictures so i went and saw it on ur blog and it looked amazing!

I made it this week, thinking my family would eat it, I ate most of it and my mother who made a big fit about it being vegetarian had one bowl and couldn't stop saying how yummy it was.

It was really tasty. I did leave out the peas. I'm not really a pea person. I'm glad to find a stew since I haven't found a vegetarian stew recipe to replace the old one I used to make. I'll be keeping this recipe and using it a lot!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts