VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on becoming vegetarian/vegan when you're a mom and have to cook for a non veg family (husband and kids). I have already given up beef and pork. I have slipped a couple times with chicken only because I have to prepare it. My husband is open to reducing his meat intake (which we have) but doesn't want to give it up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If the rest of the family isn't quite on board you could try making things you could add the meat to after.
Spaghetti (you can add the meatballs after)
Alfredo (add the chicken separately )
You could do the same meat and potato type stuff there are lots of great vegetarian faux meats (lots of bad ones too if your in Canada all the PC stuff is pretty good)
Progress are always good with a salad
Vegetarian chili is no worse then regular chili
Pita and Fallafel are really good too
Lots of good east Indian dishes too if your into that.

·
Longtime vegetarian
301 Posts
Any tips on becoming vegetarian/vegan when you're a mom and have to cook for a non veg family (husband and kids).
Replace the dead animal flesh with faux meat products; your family will likely never even notice the difference! :)

I have already given up beef and pork. I have slipped a couple times with chicken only because I have to prepare it. My husband is open to reducing his meat intake (which we have) but doesn't want to give it up.
Then...tell him to do the cooking? Personally, after I made the switch to vegetarian, there was NO WAY I would/could continue cooking or buying meat. But I wasn't the one doing most of the cooking, my husband was. I told him and our daughter that they did not have to follow suit (by becoming vegetarian), that it was something *I* had to do, but it was up to them. Luckily, they chose to come along for the ride. :D So the issue of cooking the flesh of other sentient beings never came up in our house. But, again, *I* could not/would not cook animal flesh after I became vegetarian, which is something that holds to this day (27 years on). Honestly, I cannot imagine doing it. Yuck.

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
I've been married for 31 years, and learned long ago that the woman is in charge of the household. (Just ask my wife....she'll tell 'ya). :eek:

Have a family discussion, and inform them that you want to phase out the dead animal..... I mean meat in all the meals.

Show them some veggie videos on NETFLIX, or whatever.

If you're in charge of the shopping, just stop buying meat, like my neighbor. She made meals with fake meat, and told everyone that's the only "meat" she would buy. That was like 2 years ago!

·
Registered
337 Posts
So far all the suggestions are very good.

I'm just a bit less tolerant however. I would phase out all meat in my cooking and if there are any complaints I would explain that handling and using it make me uncomfortable and if they want to eat any animal meat at home they will have to prepare it themselves and thoroughly clean up after themselves when they do so.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
I refuse to handle or prepare animal products. If my husband wants a non-vegan meal, he cooks it himself. Otherwise he just eats what I make or adds cheese to it afterward. It will be the same when my son's older, should he decide he doesn't want to be vegan.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I refuse to handle or prepare animal products. If my husband wants a non-vegan meal, he cooks it himself. Otherwise he just eats what I make or adds cheese to it afterward. It will be the same when my son's older, should he decide he doesn't want to be vegan.
Same here.

I echo what jocelyn said, you can make base foods that your family can add their own stuff to. I sometimes make baked potatoes and for mine I'll add steamed broccoli and nutritional yeast sauce or beans or whatever. My partner will add cheese and other stuff to his. I make spaghetti and add a tomato/vegetable/red lentil/bulgur sauce to our spaghetti. He adds parmesan to his. I make tacos and add a red lentil/bulgur/taco seasoning mix to our tacos, and lettuce tomato etc. He adds cheese to his. Thankfully he will not prepare meat when I am around because it offends me and upsets me. Usually he doesn't keep it in the house at all but when we visit his parents they always have to give him a bunch because they think he needs it. Sighs. It tends to sit in our freezer for a very long time. Heck maybe I will buy him a mini freezer for Christmas he can keep that crap in lol. My own family are vegetarians, mostly vegan so I am fortunate that at least SOMEONE shares my views. We argued a lot in the beginning but I learned quickly to not be so preachy and judgmental with my partner. Over time, making awesome vegan meals to share and living a healthier lifestyle and being active, he came to see that veganism has worked well for me and he has more respect for veganism. He REALLY came to accept it more when he learned that a few UFC fighters are vegan lol. He lives breaths and eats UFC lol.

We also have separate cupboards for our own food (though I share all my vegan food with him). and we have separate areas in the refrigerator for our own foods so that his animal based stuff does not come into contact with my food, and is not visible enough for me to have to see every time I open the refrigerator. I have dishes and cookware and utensils that are absolutely off limits to his animal products. I usually wash my own stuff after I cook, and I cook most of our food...he just adds his own stuff to his. We also eat separate breakfasts and lunches but share dinners and weekend meals together. It gives both of us some leeway as to what to fix, because i am a whole foods health food style eater and love to experiment with plant foods, and he is very junk food, traditional SAD and has to have his "fix". I save my more experimental vegan dishes for my lunchs for work. I love tofu, but he has this preconceived notion about it and rarely eats it (unless I slather it with peanut butter lol) so I save that for lunch and breakfast stuff. :) Sometimes I compromise and buy processed vegan versions of stuff like cream cheese, fake meats, Daiya shreds etc because he LOVES those. Go figure.

I also buy all our cleaning supplies and my own toiletries and he buys his own toiletries. He has no interest in cleaning so he doesn't mind my vinegar and tea tree oil and lemon juice cleaning products lol. We have separate shampoos, floss, and toothpaste. I buy and make our laundry soap.

We have been doing this almost five years. It is not always easy, and we have differences in some beliefs. We try to find common ground and work with that. But I am not going to lie, I have days I want to live on my own in an all vegan house (there are many other reasons besides being vegan that I struggle in our relationship, don't get me wrong). I don't have children so I can't help in that regard. I have known some vegans that allow their kids to eat dairy/eggs because of the hardships with mixed families and schools, and some vegans will not prepare animal products for their children, but spouses do. If I were in your situation I would sit down with my partner and really have a talk with him about what is means for you to be a vegetarian and why it is important, and set boundaries on what you will do and not do so it is clear to him. The two of you together will need to come up with a plan for how to deal with what to feed your children. In no way should you have to compromise your own beliefs and values. If he feels the children need meat etc, he should be more than happy to prepare it for them. It might help you too to research and show him some information about vegetarian children. It might help him see that vegetarian children can thrive and be healthy. Best wishes!

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
And your and husband's families are ok with your son being raised vegan?

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
So far no one's raised any objections, but it's worth mentioning that he hasn't started eating yet.
A vegetarian friend of mine found her mother in law giving a HOT DOG to her 2 year old after she had promised no meat. The MIL said she didn't know what to feed the girl, so maybe make sure there is easy vegan stuff around that he likes (when the time comes).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I came here today looking for the same info/inspiration. I may be further along in the process than you are. I already drink almond milk and make things with tofu quite often and eat vegetarian when out at restaurants. My husband and 4 kids eat meat. I transitioned to Vegan and it went well for about 6 months (about 5 years ago), but failed when my daughter started having a lot of anxiety around eating and I had mostly replaced meat products with meat replacers which I didn't like. Another issue was that I was preparing meat for the family and usually throwing away a lot of it while I ate a different meal and that made it feel pointless and wasteful. That might have been okay if I felt like I was actually eating healthful food, but I wasn't.

I'm transitioning to vegetarian again and am a little more prepared this time. My daughter is older and less anxious now. We have a freezer filled with 1/4 a cow that we bought from a local farmer. I asked for the farmer to make the packages as small as possible so there won't be any that goes to waste or gets thrown out. I've also been making large batches of vegan food that is freezable and freezing individual sized portions (sweet potato blackbean mixture for burritos, soups, cooked grains). My kids don't like chicken, so I don't have to worry about that part.
The plan is:
Make things like were mentioned above (spaghetti, tacos, soup, etc). Pull out a package from the freezer for them that corresponds to whatever is needed for the dish (hamburger meat, steak, etc) and let them have that on the side and make my own tofu patty (love the vegan zombie youtube recipe for that) or vegetarian option (lentils, grains or sweet potato/black bean mixture) for things like tacos. That way, I'm not having to go out and buy meat and meat isn't going to waste or being thrown out. So, there will be a main vegan dish that people can add to to make it how they want. Some things taste a lot better without meat (chili, lentil sloppy joes, spaghetti, soup) so you might start with those things just to get used to having them without the meat. Make stir-frys with tofu as a main dish that everyone eats from time to time. I take out my premade packages from the freezer and take them with me to work, so they're mostly thawed my lunchtime and I can just heat them up. The only good vegetarian fast food near me has a very long line at lunchtime.
Seriously, go watch the Vegan Zombie tofu video and make that...it's really good and the family might even eat it. Even if they don't, you can have it on hand to put in a bun or have as a "steak".
I'll keep reading because as prepared as I think I am, there still may be things I'm missing.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
^If I had a shot every time I read "meat" in that post I'd be drunk now! :serious:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can understand your anxiety about what do in regards to your children. I wrestled with the decision myself when I was raising my children. My children decided at different times to be vegetarians but that was their decision and they were teenagers. I used very little meat products when i was raising my children. But I didn't push it because I had other issues with my children's father and his family over visitation any way and I didn't want more trouble. You know what is best for own you situation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I started out too as a the first veggie only eater in my family.

It was tough to begin with. Being in an asian family, asian parents have a deep rooted believe that meat is important and essential to consume daily for one's growth, and if there is only one thing that is going to be consumed during the meal, it is always the meat first. They even says that if you cant finish the rice, its ok, but always finish the meat.

When i first mentioned that i am not consuming any more of those poultry and such, they even though it was just an act of defiance. (that was more than 10 years ago, when i was in the 20s)

Anyway, it took a more than a year before they started and gradually accept the fact that i am just choosing the way of life which i am comfortable living with.

It takes a while. But family are always family. In the end, they always accept you for who you are, and who you choose to be. Be patience and it will happen.

Let us know how it goes, all the best!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts