VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience this that's vegetarian? Other than my diet, I live a vegan lifestyle, but I still feel incredible guilt over not being fully vegan. I know that when I consume dairy or eggs that I'm contributing to suffering, yet it never seems like I can go for more than a week or two without consuming some. I'd say that right now I live about 95% vegan, which is a long way from where I started, and I know that everyone says this is a "journey". However, I still feel horrible.

I always give in because I'm either out to eat or at someone's house where there aren't any vegan options. Otherwise, I usually give into huge cravings. I've tried vegan versions of the things I crave (donuts, cheese, ice cream, chocolate), but they just don't compare or cut it. The cravings seem to be getting less and less, at least, and I find they're usually for "visibly vegan" things, like veggie chicken patties that contain a bit of egg. So, any advice, support or general insights for this newbie would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I just stay firm and resolute always, despite the fact my diet could

be much improved. I eat basic bland stuff, but I still manage as a

100pc% vegan, but further to that I could as said do better, as in creating myself a better vegan variety. So if i can manage on a

boring diet variety, think how better we'd feel nourishing ourselves with a fuller array and wider choice of vegan cuisine,

(where available) much of which I have never tried even though

I've been vegan for ages, but I ought not be slack, rather I am strict because I workout so I need the sustainance big time!...so about variety and such, that can be your incentive to invent, and explore to find recipies to play with until you get something vegan

to eat that truly satisfies,, there's stacks out there onthe web and

in books....

Good findings for which will mean you get tasty results and thus stay vegan!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I guess I've been lucky, because after I stopped eating meat, I never again was seriously tempted to eat it, and the same has been the case with eggs and dairy products. The secret to eating foods without dairy and egg is to re-stock your pantry and fridge, and re-think the way you approach cooking and baking. (And, in my opinion, in order to eat really tasy vegan stuff, you have to cook and bake!!!) I can make myself really rich (and chocolatey)
desserts that no one can distinguish from non-vegan desserts.

All that being said, don't beat yourself up. You are doing a lot!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Nope, I don't feel guilty at all (but I find I have to do some explaining which is annoying!)

I don't see the need in going vegan as long as I try to minimise the amount of cruelty involved in my life. So I have mostly cut out dairy, use free range organic eggs (certified), don't buy leather or anything like that anymore, buy products not animal tested or containing animal ingredients that I object to, etc. I don't have a problem with using animal products that TO ME aren't cruel... and I say "to me" because I don't have a problem with honey but others think it is cruel...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I do not feel guilty about being vegetarian and not vegan. In fact, I feel quite proud.

I decided to become a vegetarian and not a vegan because for me, being a vegetarian is enough right now. Someday I might aspire to be a vegan, but right now I feel really good about eliminating the majority of animal products I have in my life. I get my milk from a local dairy, where you can actually go to see the cows when you buy ice cream. They always appear to be bright eyed and healthy. Our eggs I'm not so sure about, but I don't eat that many anyway. The way I look at it, I am helping the animal kingdom out quite a bit by not eating anything you would have to kill the animal to get.

As far as the few leather products that I have (a pair of shoes and a purse with leather straps), I do not plan on getting rid of them because one of the reasons I became a veg was that thousands of resources are wasted on meat production, and throwing out something that is still perfectly good would be wasting in a different way. However, I do think I'll try to avoid getting any more leather products in the future.

Sorry my reply is so long, just had alot to say.

Jamie

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Nope... I don't feel guilty.

I don't eat eggs (only because I think they're rather yucky) and I generally only eat cheese on pizza or when I'm out, and that's plenty for me. When I buy things, sometimes I'll purposefully pick the vegan option over the vegetarian one, but not always & I don't think poorly of myself when I don't.

Being vegetarian isn't really at the center of my life -- it's there & it's habit. I think about it, I enjoy a healthy debate on it, but really there are a lot of things out there that I work much harder to achieve and feel are more important to achieve than veganism (which I'm not sure I want to achieve at *all*).

If you're actively pursuing veganism, though, I could understand the guilt. I feel guilty when I falter on my way to *any* achievement -- it's much too humbling to see my lack of self control.
But everything is a process, and if you're determined, you'll get there. Sometimes the guilt is all that gets you over the last hump, so you could look at it as *healthy* guilt, so long as it's temporary.

Mskedi

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I consider myself what Veganoutreach calls a Practical Vegan. I don't consume meat, dairy, or eggs - - I avoid all other animal products wherever/whenever possible as a symbolic gesture. I've found I can live with this - and I don't feel guilty.

I love the site VeganOutreach.com.

It really got my head straight about where I was, and it helped me deal with the guilt issue tremendously.

I would think Lacto Ovo Vegetarians should not feel guilty (or be made to feel guilty).

Not eating meat makes a big difference to the animals.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I think being a vegetarian is already a HUGE help to the animals. I'm going vegan now, but when I was vegetarian I was comfortable with the notion that it was an IMPROVEMENT on a meat-based diet.

That's my least favorite comment from omnis: Well, why do you still do THIS or THAT? I just wanna say, "Geez, I'm still being less cruel than you. I never claimed to be perfect."

BTW, my favorite thing about this board so far is that the vegans and vegetarians get along and are so mutually supportive.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Nope. I try to balance my wants & desires with the best interests of the rest of the world, and that's dumped me squarely in vegetarian-land. There's much less of a chance I'll burn out this way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That very guilt (sometimes so strong I couldn't sleep) is what pushed me over the vegan bump in the road. I can't go back to being ovo-lacto now because I don't want that guilt. And I think it's healthy. Too often we content ourselves with what we are and don't try to change. I'm not saying anyone should feel guilty, just relating my personal experience.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
I know what you mean about vegetarian guilt - for me its not a guilt thing, its just wanting to do all I can do. Right now I just posted a question about rennet and cheese, because I wont eat pizza out anymore, and of course that takes out the one vegetarian option most hotels have (i'm going on a trip shortly). For me right now, I dont want to consume rennet. I consider that to be a non-vegetarian item. Maybe one day I'll take out all dairy (including the organic cheese and eggs I occasionally buy) - just for now, this is a way i'm supporting farmers who treat their animals better, dont use chemicals, etc. And of course, not eating meat or buying leather goods. If with the info you have you are doing what you need to do to be happy, then feel no guilt. just being veg is a great way to help the animals and the environment!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Do what you can and what is right for you. be happy that you HAVE refused the amount of suffering.

And Mouse is right being vegan made me learn how to cook and garden as well.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RedStarJedi

Do what you can and what is right for you. be happy that you HAVE refused the amount of suffering.
This is so true. Everyone on this board, whether vegetarian or vegan, has greatly reduced the amount of suffering for thousands of animals. I like the quote, "no one can do everything, but everyone can do something".

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Actually, I'm not a real vegetarian, anyways. Sure, I avoid obvious slabs of meat, and I made it a goal in my mind to reduce suffering of animals in my own way, but I'm not doing too good at it. I just had soup my mom made for me, and when I went to look at the ingredients, I saw it had both chicken stock and fat in it. So I came to my room, sat down, and cried for about half an hour. It's the same way with yogurt, jello... anything with gelatin. And my mom's boots I wore. They're leather, and I wore them to school yesterday. I asked her if they were, and she said they were, so I laid in bed and took a nap. I just feel so bad all the time. I mean, I try, but I don't even do what most vegetarians do.

That and other things have contributed to me feeling terrible lately.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Meo don't be so hard on yourself, you didn't know before you ate the soup, that it contained chicken products. You ARE a vegetarian.
When I first went vegetarian, I didn't know about all the animal by-products in everthing, but now I do and look out for them.

So everyone stop feeling so guilty, please!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I third it! Just remember everyone, this is a journey. There are going to be bumps and accidents on the way, but what matters is that you keep at it and never stop. Any difference you can make is a big one!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Pertaining to the vegetarians and vegans getting along well here... I'm currently lacto-ovo, and I've attempted veganism twice in the three years I've been vegetarian. My vegan friends on here, especially RSJ and maj, have been enthusiastic about my efforts, but I've never once heard them criticize me for eating foods they refrain from now. They know I'm doing what I feel I can, and probably when I'm as old as they are, I'll be more independent of the omnis with whom I currently live, and I'll be in charge of my own vegan lifestyle!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts