VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I ate meat five years ago, I put gravy on turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing on Thanksgiving. I haven't been able to find a good vegetarian gravy that wasn't mushroom gravy (I hate mushrooms).

Does anyone have a good recipe they would like to share? Or is there a brand that people like to use?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
for me gravy is more of a technique than a recipe.
you can make gravy from lots of flavorful things like onions, garlic, mushrooms, and roasted veggies.

brown the ingredients by either saute or roasting, you want the brown stuff in the pan. deglaze with wine or another acidic liquid like lemon. whisk in flour and cook constantly stirring until it browns. add a flavorful veggie broth (imagine makes a great one), and spices like garlic, sage, thyme, salt. here is where preference comes in, if you want a thick gravy use more flour and less broth, if you want a thin gravy (more traditional) use less flour and more broth. let it simmer while constantly stirring, check the flavor and add more salt of spices accordingly.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
If you want a canned gravy, Campbell's Mushroom gravy is vegan. It does contain MSG however, if that is an issue for you.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Fried tofu-chicken and gravy

Slice block of tofu into 8 or 10 slices, sprinkle with salt, pepper, vegetarian chicken broth powder and nutritional yeast and fry on both sides until golden brown. Put tofu on a plate. In the same pan, add water, cornstarch and more cbp and simmer a few minutes. Good on rice or mashed potatoes.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
My dad made vegan potato leek soup a couple of weeks ago and we talked and decided we are just going to use that recipe and puree it as our gravy. It has a wonderful flavor.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

My dad made vegan potato leek soup a couple of weeks ago and we talked and decided we are just going to use that recipe and puree it as our gravy. It has a wonderful flavor.
I love potato leek soup!!

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
\t\t\t\t\t
Originally Posted by ade903 \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t
\t\t\t\tMy dad made vegan potato leek soup a couple of weeks ago and we talked and decided we are just going to use that recipe and puree it as our gravy. It has a wonderful flavor.
Isn't vichyssoise usually pureed anyway?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Isn't vichyssoise usually pureed anyway?
Perhaps. The recipe we used said to blend half of the soup and then leave the rest chunky. So we'll just blend it all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts