VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be becoming a vegetarian very soon. Anyone know of any good recipes or cookbooks i could use. Another thing is am i a vegeterian if i eat fish?

·
Registered
912 Posts
First, here's a link to a recent thread that had a lot of cookbook recommendations. http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=67270 Hopefully you'll find something there that is useful for you!

Technically, vegetarians do not eat fish. Generally, the VBers don't throw tomatoes at people who eat fish (that's still fewer animals dying!), unless they call themselves vegetarians. People who eat fish (but no other animals) are pescatarians.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've gotten quite a few nice recipes out of PETA's cookbook, particularly the Peanut Butter Bars and Stroganoff. I also like the Moosewood Cookbooks. I take them out of the library and write down the recipes I like so I don't have to spend a ton of $$ trying new things.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
There is an entire recipe section on Veggieboards you can read through. www.vegweb.com also has a bunch.

A few of my favorite cookbooks are the vegetarian times cookbook, and the vegetarian family cookbook by nava atlas.

And no, vegetarians do not eat sea life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also recommend Vegan with a Vengeance. David Gabbe's Pure Vegetarian Kitchen is also great--lots of simple recipes, no animal prdocuts, I probably use it 3 times a week.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I second the reccomendation for the Vegetarian Times cookbook. I have it right now, actually, borrowed from my local library. I have a printer in my home, so I'm just running copies of the recipes I want to try!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're lucky enough to have a local library (mine is a 10-minute walk from my apartment) you can often find vegetarian/vegan cookbooks there as well. My library also has a subscription to Vegetarian Times magazine, so every month I get a fresh batch of recipes...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitan Worship View Post

I also recommend Vegan with a Vengeance. David Gabbe's Pure Vegetarian Kitchen is also great--lots of simple recipes, no animal prdocuts, I probably use it 3 times a week.
I've got a question about Vegan with a Vengeance. Does it use a lot of faux meat products or does it rely on natural, generic un processed products? Since I am in Europe, I don't have access to the same brands and stuff so I won't buy it if the recipes are not "from scratch".

Thx!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeguMan View Post

I've got a question about Vegan with a Vengeance. Does it use a lot of faux meat products or does it rely on natural, generic un processed products? Since I am in Europe, I don't have access to the same brands and stuff so I won't buy it if the recipes are not "from scratch".
As "faux meat", VWAV uses (store-bought, available at natural food stores) tempeh and (home-made, recipe is included) seitan in only a handful of recipes. The recipes actually do rely very much on natural, unprocessed ingredients. I am in Germany, and I've been able to track all the ingredients that are needed for the recipes in VWAV so far (tried quite a few). I'd also recommend "Vive le Vegan!" by Dreena Burton, her recipes are in a different "style" than "VWAV" (I like both styles though), but similar in the way that you don't need any fancy ingredients but can use what you get at the average (health food for some ingredients) store - "even" in Europe. Both books also have a lot of vegan baking recipes, i. e. vegan baking recipes that actually work very well!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Does it use a lot of faux meat products or does it rely on natural, generic un processed products? Since I am in Europe, I don't have access to the same brands and stuff so I won't buy it if the recipes are not "from scratch".
I don't have Vegan with a Vengeance, but World Vegetarian hasn't given me any ingredient-related problems. It's organised by main ingredient and for the most part the dishes are centred around readily obtainable vegetables, grains, beans and nuts. There's no faux anything. My copy only has maybe two tempeh recipes, a handful with tofu and the American version apparently has two seitan dishes hidden away in the section on wheat too. If you don't eat dairy, having access to soy yoghurt helps but a lot of the stuff in there is inherently vegan anyway.

How does Vegan Planet compare to VWAV in everyone's opinion. The search-inside-feature on amazon appears to have disappeared for the former...

·
Banned
18 Posts
I heard David Gabbe's (a cooking teacher) book is good. Newbies are best keeping things simple. If you cook in small quantities, try Table For Two by Joanne Stepaniak or Vegan Cooking For One by Leah Leneman. www.veganlunchbox.com presents daily lunches she makes for her son, with star ratings, depending on how popular it is. Good luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks a lot Quinoa and Snow White! I think I'm going to buy Vwav and maybe Vive le Vegan too (I'm already reading their blog).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts