VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the new show called The Chew. One of the hosts is Daphne Oz (Dr. Oz's daughter). I was so excited to see her making Vegetariaan Chili until she said that she was adding chicken broth. This is supposed to be a well educated woman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
I'll never understand why people use chicken broth for 'vegetarian' meals. Vegetable broth is just as easy to find, so why not use that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
I can't imagine it makes that much a difference when it comes to taste, either. It's so disappointing when you think you've found a soup, double check that it isn't made with animal stock, and then your hopes and dreams are shattered.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn69 View Post

I love the new show called The Chew. One of the hosts is Daphne Oz (Dr. Oz's daughter). I was so excited to see her making Vegetariaan Chili until she said that she was adding chicken broth. This is supposed to be a well educated woman.
Here's what will make your head spin--Daphne Oz was one of the "celebrities" PCRM used to give tips for their vegan 30 day weight loss! She said she was vegan, promoted vegan diet in her book about college weight loss or something. Yeah, not just vegetarian-VEGAN! Money can buy any recommendation for the Oz family!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
That's awful. Chicken broth isn't even something that could be debated like rennet or gelatin, which some vegetarians still eat, but chicken broth is very literally meat, so why would someone get the idea of adding it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,184 Posts
You should email the network that makes the show and tell them they made a mistake and provide them with a good all angles covered definition of vegetarian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went on The Chew facebook page and a lot of people told her she was wrong. She apologized and explained that she used veggie stock but accidentally said chicken stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,075 Posts
I think that when people arent actually vegetarians, some of them can sometimes look at things that are made up of vegetables and think of it as vegetarian.

Such as someone serving you some soup and they say "Its vegetarian, it is carrot and lentils" and later you find out it was meat stock based. Because that person isnt a vegetarian they would never have had to think or worry about that sort of thing, so it never would have occured to them to question the presence of a meat stock in the "vegetarian" soup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Here's what will make your head spin--Daphne Oz was one of the "celebrities" PCRM used to give tips for their vegan 30 day weight loss! She said she was vegan, promoted vegan diet in her book about college weight loss or something. Yeah, not just vegetarian-VEGAN! Money can buy any recommendation for the Oz family!
I really can't tolerate that family. It is all about the money for them.

I've seen the show (The Chew ) a couple times only because of Carla from Top Chef. Now if anyone knows how to make some awesome totally legit vegetarian meals it's Carla! She was always whipping up some really cool and different veg meals on Top Chef even though everyone else would give her crap about it and were skeptical. In the end many of her veg dishes ended up wowing them, the judges and even won her the top spot many times. She had a habit of liking to prove that you didn't need meat for a protein source for meals.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn69 View Post

I went on The Chew facebook page and a lot of people told her she was wrong. She apologized and explained that she used veggie stock but accidentally said chicken stock.
That's good
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I think that when people arent actually vegetarians, some of them can sometimes look at things that are made up of vegetables and think of it as vegetarian.

Such as someone serving you some soup and they say "Its vegetarian, it is carrot and lentils" and later you find out it was meat stock based. Because that person isnt a vegetarian they would never have had to think or worry about that sort of thing, so it never would have occured to them to question the presence of a meat stock in the "vegetarian" soup.
Yeah, that's why I'm very specific. "Vegetarian? No chicken stock, beef stock, fish stock, fish sauce, gelatin?"
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top