VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Mom, I'm a Vegetarian'

posted Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Last night on NBC's "Parenthood," 5-year-old Sydney announces she's become a vegetarian. Her parents (Julia and Joel), who are not vegetarians, are taken aback and began trying to convince her that she's not a vegetarian -- reminding her that chicken is her favorite and explaining protein is important.

Later, when Sydney's grandparents (Zeek and Camille) arrive to baby sit with a lasagna in tow, Sydney sticks to her guns and insists she will not eat it.

Julia tells her father, Zeek, she's disappointed that he tried to force her daughter to eat meat because she doesn't want to squelch Sydney's "spirit" and wants to support her decision. Camille tells Julia that she needs to make it clear to Sydney that she is not boss of the house.

Momlogic wants to know -- do you have a child who has expressed interest in being a vegetarian? Did you support him or her? How did you support your child's decision but also make it clear who's boss?

Read more:
www.momlogic.com/2011/02/nbc_parenthood_sydney_vegetarian.php

The episode can be viewed on Hulu.com

http://www.hulu.com/watch/217324/par...ist#s-p1-so-i0

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I watch this show regularly so when I heard that Sydney was going vegetarian I thought that was cool. But the show was disappointing in that aspect. First, her parents try to talk her out of it. Then the grandparents try, but the parents have already decided it's OK for her to be vegetarian. But she won't eat the seitan because she doesn't like how it tastes. They demand that she eat it or the meaty lasagna. It winds up later in the show that Sydney tells her mom that grandpa made her eat meat.

I'm curious where it goes from here and if Sydney stays vegetarian or not. I kind of think that they'll just drop it and you won't even hear about Sydney's eating habits for the rest of the season. But I hope she is a vegetarian - because I went vegetarian when I was 6. Plenty of kids do it.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Yes , I seen this and I didn't like how they derespected her choices. I was never forced with my omni parents while around 6 or 7 years old to eat meat I only ate snippets until later on in my life. However, If I had chosen at that age for Vegetarian foods I think my parents would help me. There are other parts of that show I didn't like but its off topic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts