VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been asking it elsewhere on the net, but I really wanted to ask all of you on VB. I'm currently working on a vegetarian book project that aims to be more than a just another cookbook and I wanted some advice from vegetarians around the world as to what they would like to see in the book.

There's a recipe section planned for sure, but what else would you find useful?

I'll make sure that I include all those who help in the thanks section!

By the way, I'll also be including a part with comments from vegetarians about their experience, about the reason they became vegetarians/vegans.

Anyways, thank you all for your feedback!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Healthy menus would be great as well as info on what you can eat when at restaurants. I also enjoy reading success stories from different people. Good luck with your book!

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can add a paragraph somewhere in the beginning that allays people's fears that a vegetarian diet is unsafe and dangerous. Some cookbooks distinguish between vegetarian and vegan because people do not know the difference.

Many of my friends are vegetarian because the animals are not treated correctly. Beak removal, neutering, tail cutting, ear removal -- all without even a local anesthetic.

Its like declawing without an anestheic. How many pet owners would become ANGRY over a procedure like that? :p

The second reason is that it is healthier... red meat raises the risk of many cancers by 60%.

If you need any help on the statistics, I can help.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
A lot of people here seem to ask about cooking in a dorm room. Also cooking for only one or two servings-- not eight. And every day food, not party food. And not using hard-to-find specialty ingredients, but every-day ingredients you can find in a grocery store.

·
Registered
720 Posts
A 'know how to defend yourself with facts' section would be GREAT, with quick and easy replies to all the "aren't you low in iron/calcium/zinc/B-12/etc?" attacks/questions veggies get from omnis. And maybe a 'for instance' which shows the nutritional values of example days/weeks.

I'd also love a section which shows how easy it can be to incorporate veggie meals into omni families' diets---so that if one person of cooking age has become veggie, they might be able to cook for the whole fam w/out anyone being alarmed at the vegetarian-ness of the meal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apple Blossom: I'm working on a section that focuses on why people are vegetarians or vegans, so you might be interested in that. I'll be collecting a few "testimonials" and comments from vegetarians on a variety of topics, you can participate if you want, just PM me.

Gita: Thanks for your ideas, I definitely know how it is not to have much room to cook and also not to have a lot of money to buy certain more expensive and exotic foods, or simply not to have access to them. I've worked for quite some time as a sandwich-maker and I wanted to share some of my experience about that as well...

veggiewriter: you're so right, busting myths about vegetarianism would be really important. I hadn't thought about your second idea though, I'll include a part about integrating a vegetarian diet in a omni surrounding.

Thank you all for your great ideas, that's food for thoughts on my end!

Have great holidays

1 - 7 of 7 Posts