VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm pretty new to this board and so please forgive me if I am out of line or position with this post. I did ask founder Michael where to post such a thing but he hasn't yet seen/answered my request, and so I am not sure. I figure community assistance is hopefully an appropriate spot. I do need to post this now as the forum activity I am referring on mercola.com is current right now, with the most traffic, as the mercola articles have recently been posted.

I have been doing my bit to defend the vegetarian position a number of times on the mercola board. Initially I found it very surprising for an alternative, medical dissident board to have such a pro-meat eating stance, but of course Dr Mercola himself comes out with a lot of lard about needing animal products to survive, and the flock there follows along, so it seems, with even more aggression against the vegetarian & vegan stance. to me I am guessing that it's obviously a reflection of the still enormous problem of the multitude in society being meat-eating: but we are at a crucial stage of awakening where things like this are important to affect, if we can.

The anti-veg feeling on the mercola board is obviously alarming to a lot of the veg's that get on that forum, as there is some controversy, but it is heavily weighed down by the sheer number of zombie flesh-eaters trafficking this board, as well as the ridiculous forum user labelling system, which I have tried my best to liken to something from the third reich; and with very biased moderation as well. Nevertheless I do manage to get a few kicks back for the animals here and there.

Why bother? Mercola is a very heavily visited site, perhaps the largest traffic on the web for an alternative perspective on health. The alexa traffic rank there is about 1700, as compared to say this board at approx. 120,000. I do admit I agree with a lot that is said there, besides this meat issue, as I feel there are very fundamental flaws in the way that science is being carried out via the wayward money machine of orthodox medicine. But that's a digression and irrelevant to the negative propaganda this board is effectively carrying out against us. This meat issue is I fear may cause some people to question a properly executed vegetarian and vegan diet, which of course means more suffering for animals and the ignorant consumers alike.

Anybody that has an interest might like to take a look at the forum comments such as, for example, this article trying to retort the movie forks and knives or this one on "why vegetarianism will not save the world".

There you can see a multitude of attacks, such as the idea that all vegos get sick after a few years; that meat is needed for intelligence and evolution (as if any greater a counterexample was needed than the carnie's comments); and that not eating meat is to be in denial of the "fact" that we are part of the food chain; that all vegos are religiously motivated fanatics--and other lame gestures at thought processes, ad nauseam.

Thanks for reading my post.

Michael.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Mercola is nothing more than a quack. Anyone with the slightest bit of intelligence doesn't take anything he says seriously. This is the downside of the internet....any idiot can post BS and pass it off as fact.

I wouldn't waste my time on that board. Going there, even to defend veg*nism, just adds to the traffic count.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@whisper
Thank you for your input. I do not think that avoidance is a constructive way to deal with the fact that vegetarianism and veganism are being denigrated on a very high-traffic site.

The corollary of your assertion seems to be that there are a lot of idiots involved in alternative health paradigms. And further, that if your assertion is true, that it can thus be dismissed outright. Would the involvement of many "idiots" in the anti-meat eating movement mean that it was similarly incorrect?

I ask you to consider that this dismissal of a marginal point of view is not unlike the way that many people dismiss the vegetarian/vegan perspective, and it seems to me, to be a position more inspired by jingoism than by analysis.

@Sequioa

Thank you also for your response. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Barrett too. There appears to be a strong counterpoint to his seemingly quite unethical activities:

http://www.quackpotwatch.org/quackpo...ts/barrett.htm

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Seriously, it's the internet. People need to go be stupid somewhere.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Mercola has one thing that I do stand behind, and he is adamently against HFCS.....about all I can give him credit for!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Ugh. My mom is always quoting him. I don't know why she ever brings him up to me because she knows I think he's crazy. She believes everything he says though.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

Ugh. My mom is always quoting him. I don't know why she ever brings him up to me because she knows I think he's crazy. She believes everything he says though.
My Dad's the same. He loves Mercola. One time he was spouting off to me about how I shouldnt be drinking coke as its full of HFCS... but in the UK its made with real sugar. So HAH to him! Blindly following without doing research, that was an easy comeback. Apparently im a sheep because I disagree with Mercola and tend to listen to modern science. There could be a whole thread dedicated to my Dad's crazy health ideas....

Anyway Mercola can go and quack back to where he came from. If anyone is on the Mercola board then most likely they arent worth arguing with in the first place haha.

ps. to read the articles on the site without signing up, as soon as it loads hit escape. itll stop the annoying popup coming up.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

My Dad's the same. He loves Mercola. One time he was spouting off to me about how I shouldnt be drinking coke as its full of HFCS... but in the UK its made with real sugar. So HAH to him! Blindly following without doing research, that was an easy comeback. Apparently im a sheep because I disagree with Mercola and tend to listen to modern science. There could be a whole thread dedicated to my Dad's crazy health ideas....

Anyway Mercola can go and quack back to where he came from. If anyone is on the Mercola board then most likely they arent worth arguing with in the first place haha.

ps. to read the articles on the site without signing up, as soon as it loads hit escape. itll stop the annoying popup coming up.
For the first thing I bolded, it's why, at least I, tend to read up on these things, and ask questions of the experts, not just follow whatever diet fad is current. For the second thing, if you're a sheep because you won't follow this person, what does that make your dad, especially if it's in a "high traffic website" like the one the OP is talking about?
Just sayin'.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
MOD POST
I moved the thread here from Community Assistance.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I agree with a couple of things that Mercola has strong opinions on, but realize he is in with the Weston Price Foundation which can't be trusted,and he's all about promoting his products.

·
Registered
331 Posts
He bust on Dr. Campbell. If I had to choose who is more qualified to make a call on the issue the evidence would lead me to believe Campbell over Mercola. Campbell findings are based on years of research and experience. Mercolas is based on him needing to hear his chin rattle.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
^^^lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts