VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to start back up on the veggie wagon only one thing is stopping me my boy friend is not a big veggie person. We are on a fixed budget and can not afford to cook two different meals every night for dinner. Currently i'm eating some meat free stuff for lunch and breakfast. Any suggestions for making a meal with meat and meatless. My boy friend supports my decision to going back to not eating meat but i don't want to make our grocery bill go up. Any suggestions or wed sites that would be helpful as i want to do this soon. Oh and i'm still eating eggs milk and dairy products along with fish and seafood but as i'm living in the midwest right now seafood is not an option.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
You can make a big pot of pasta sauce, with veggies, then cook something for him seperately, like mince or chicken, and take some of the sauce out add it to his meat. Same with stews, soups and so on. Or if he isnt against eating meat free a few times a week, just add plenty of pulses to bulk out sauces and make a filling protien filled meal.

Also vegetarians dont eat fish. This board is for people who aim to give up eating any animal at all. Even fish.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the hints and i know about the fish thing iam hypoglycemic and i need a back up way for when i get very low sugar. and since iam in the midwest its not even a option right now and only will be if i cant get my sugar up any other way.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I dont know about stuff like that but Im sure someone on the boards can help you. There are always ways to combat illnesses without the use of animals.

Is he against eating the fake meats. My boyfriend is a meat eater and he doesnt mind the meat free minced beef in say a Spagetti bolognese...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oddly eating no meat makes controlling blood sugar easier the six months i spent not eating any last time i had less low sugar spells ( dizziness, shakes, black outs ,and passing out) was nice.

He hates fake meat stuff he eats tofu in some things but i gotta learn to cook it first. I got him to try a bean veggie burger he didn't like it but i should be able to find something to cook.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Beans and rice are super cheap and can be made into several different meals (chilis, burritos, tacos, soups, stews, curries, etc.)

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
My boyfriend was a meateater for many years i cooked 2 meals or complimenting dishes for us at dinner. he turned vegetarian and now our grocery bill is much less than when he ate meat. it is cheaper to be vegetarian than to be a meateater, even cheaper to be a vegan (no dairy, no eggs).

if you are trying to save money beans cost less than meat products, that might be a way to appeal to him to save money and eat less meat at home.

some ideas for meals to make that he may not miss the meat are:

chili
pasta
pizza
soup
curry

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

My boyfriend was a meateater for many years i cooked 2 meals or complimenting dishes for us at dinner. he turned vegetarian and now our grocery bill is much less than when he ate meat. it is cheaper to be vegetarian than to be a meateater, even cheaper to be a vegan (no dairy, no eggs).

if you are trying to save money beans cost less than meat products, that might be a way to appeal to him to save money and eat less meat at home.

some ideas for meals to make that he may not miss the meat are:

chili
pasta
pizza
soup
curry
I add to LYM's list, enchiladas, tacos, and casseroles. You might want to get beans in the bulk section of your grocery store (if it has one), and store in a container. You also might want to try quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah). You can get a small box of it, prepared, or go to the bulk section again. Bulk quinoa will need to be rinsed, while the small boxed stuff should be all right without rinsing off first. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
buy some really good vegan cookbooks (you can always add cheese if you want) vs, buying vegetarian cookbooks that include dairy and eggs, incase down the road you want to be vegan, then you have cookbooks you won't use. There's also tons of free recipes online. Www.allrecipes.com, www.vegweb.com is good and even about.com is a good site.

anyway, cook a veg meal, then slap a side piece of meat on the plate for him. alot of time, you could make the meal, split it in half, then add meat to his, and finish cooking it, so the meat absorbs the flavors of the dish, instead of the meat being on the side.

I highly suggest any of Robin Robertson's cookbooks like Vegan on the cheap, Quick Fix Vegan, and 1000 Vegan recipes~ highly suggest this one. Also crockpotting veg meals is a good way too.

Also think ethnic, like Italian, Mexican, and Indian/Middle Eastern/African.....all of those have veg options!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts