VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Indian food: Vegetable Biryani? Is it generally spicy? I don't like spicy. Particularly, has anyone tried this food at the Little India Restaurant in Toronto (Canada)? If yes, I would like your feedback on the dish. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
When I've had vegetable biryani (of course, not that restaurant), it's not been spicy. Restaurants vary, though, so it's probably a good idea to check with your server. Usually even if something is supposed to be spicy, they can have the cook adjust the spiciness if you ask.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually vegetable biryani is a spicy item. The ingredients added are onions, garlic, cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, turmeric ... the list is long. Check out before you try. Instead you can go for other Indian dishes like puloa or ghee rice or roti items (home made bread). These are least spicy.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Most Indian restaurants will let you decide mild/medium/hot for any dish. I love Indian flavours but don't like the spiciness so I always order mild. Personally I think biryani has a nice flavour combination, so just order it mild and you'll be fine. =]

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It depends on your concept of spicey - and of course the recipe. I had a friend who thought vegetable samosas were far too spicey for her to eat, but I never even considered them as spicey.

The dish does have spices in it, and usually comes with a vegetable sauce with a lot of spices in it also. It usually doesn't have chilli in it, so it shouldn't be hot (I know hot is differrent to spicey, but a lot of people confuse the two).

If you tell the waiter/tress that you don't like spicey food, they should be able to make a milder version for you

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Its pretty mild IMO, but if you dont like spicey food i guess you'll probably find it hot and won't like it. Indian resteraunts are usually pretty good at custom orders, you could ask for it to be milder or ask for another mild dish?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Like most indian dishes, it is well seasoned with a lot of different spices, but the versions I had didn't have much in the way of what I would consider spice in the hot sense. You can order it mild with a side of yogurt, if you eat dairy. Yogurt accompanies a lot of Indian dishes as a counterpoint to all the spices. It cools the palette well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts