VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a busy person, and alot of times I don't have time to make a balanced meal. Most week night dinners consist of some condensed soup or a pasta. Do you have any suggestions on quick and easy but balanced meals?

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I like making a big batch of chili in a slow cooker (like on Saturday) and then freeze 4 or 5 portions to reheat during the week. I actually just throw it in the fridge since I'll eat it within the week. When I actually serve it I'll take 15 minutes to nuke up some grits to serve it over. Or more often I just eat it with Fritos (not terribly unhealthy, but not terribly healthy either). The 'bean stew type thing' + 'grain or grain product' serves me well as a general meal template. Might wanna add some steamed fresh veggies in there too.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I like making a big batch of chili in a slow cooker (like on Saturday) and then freeze 4 or 5 portions to reheat during the week. I actually just throw it in the fridge since I'll eat it within the week. When I actually serve it I'll take 15 minutes to nuke up some grits to serve it over. Or more often I just eat it with Fritos (not terribly unhealthy, but not terribly healthy either). The 'bean stew type thing' + 'grain or grain product' serves me well as a general meal template. Might wanna add some steamed fresh veggies in there too.
This was gonna be my suggestion; make big meals and freeze portions to reheat. I do shepherd's pie, soups, stews, chilli, lasagne, or pasta sauces at the weekend; maybe more than one so I have a bit of variety. Then I just freeze a few in takeaway containers and put some in the fridge. Eventually you'll have a freezer full of tasty meals that you can just heat up, and maybe cook some pasta or rice to go with. It also saves money.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
If you don't have these already you should consider getting them: rice cooker, crock pot

You can other grains than rice in the cooker, like quinoa, millet, amaranth, even oatmeal.

Use the crock pot for cooking dry beans, chili, stews, and slow cooked soups.

With a variety of grains and beans you can have a lot of different meals, change up the spices and include seasonal vegetables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts