Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compassionate1 View Post

I consider myself a Christian.

Now, I only:

Kill people who had it coming,

Covet my neighbor's wife if she's not real attractive,

Pray to all my other gods (really they're just unwitting strangers) before I pray to God,

Steal cars from the wealthy,

Cheat on my wife (but it's with her sister),

Take the Lord's name in vain (in a daily "cleansing" ritual),

Dishonor my mom and dad (by publicly flogging them),

Can't quite seem to remember when the sabbath is (I really do have to get a PDA),

Lie to everyone (in fact none of the above is true and I am not male, I'm actually a Sub-Saharan Mongoose),

and constantly make graven images (okay, I'll be honest, I don't know what that is).

(And sometimes I combine all of those activities into one outstanding party)

I'm not going to let any "church" or "bible" tell me I'm not a Christian.
the difference is, if you do all those things, and consider yourself a Christian, then you'll go to hell.

what can the "vegan society" do to me?

there are a kajillion different definitons of vegan. you get to decide what kind of vegan you want to be and what vegan means to you.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

the difference is, if you do all those things, and consider yourself a Christian, then you'll go to hell.

there are a kajillion different definitons of vegan. you get to decide what kind of vegan you want to be and what vegan means to you.
Ah yes, but you've apparently not heard of Dante's little known 10th ring (and no it is not my cousin Dante from the Bronx who wears lots of rings, has lots of chest hair, and makes clicking sounds while firing his imaginary six shooters) that is reserved for vegans who are, in fact, not.

But then again, this guy:
isn't as mean as everyone thinks.

Except his favorite thing is to offer you a vegetarian meal, then laugh when the plate shows up with a beef brisket on it. He can be a real jokester sometimes.......

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

Ah yes, but you've apparently not heard of Dante's little known 10th ring (and no it is not my cousin Dante from the Bronx who wears lots of rings, has lots of chest hair, and makes clicking sounds while firing his imaginary six shooters) that is reserved for vegans who are, in fact, not.

But then again, this guy:
isn't as mean as everyone thinks.

Except his favorite thing is to offer you a vegetarian meal, then laugh when the plate shows up with a beef brisket on it. He can be a real jokester sometimes.......

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I've determined that I am a raw fruitarian and will start telling people that.

Oh these boiled carrots? Well they were hand grown so its ok, I can still eat boiled carrots and be a raw fruitarian. This TBone? yeah well its on a tuesday so its ok. All raw fruitarians take tuesdays off.

Lets start throwing around names till they have no meaning at all anymore. Before you know it they will start using sevenseas and hooodedclawjens to produce jeezycreezy cakes and tell people they are jeezycakes because a word is a word and nothing more.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
One thing that really puzzles me (really really really puzzles me, I mean really really really really really) is why the ability to "feel pain" is a deciding factor for some people when it comes to choosing which living creatures they eat or not.

I just don't get it.

If a creature does not feel pain, why should it be okay to eat it??? What about those children who have that rare syndrome (forget what it's called now) who feel no pain whatsoever. It is okay to eat them?

Okay. Some people may balk at the idea of eating human babies. So I'll take another example:

If a cat had this same syndrome and felt no pain, would it be okay to eat the cat?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compassionate1 View Post

That's classic, right there.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Well "feeling pain" is a quite restricted concept. Those children who cannot feel physical pain can still feel emotional distress, frustration and suffer mentally. If an animal is not sentient - has no awareness about anything - then I don't see an inherent problem in killing that individual, any more than killing a plant.

But to the contrary of what kpickell likes to claim (without never bothering to substantiate the claim, it seems), we cannot say that insects aren't sentient.

11,550 Posts
grasshopper burger with a side of fries, anyone?

ETA: now i'm thinking about it, how much protein is in a cockroach? if you got hold of one of those 3 inch long ones... you could grill it, and it'd fit just right in one of those little dinner rolls.. couple slices of tomato, few pickles, and you'd be sorted.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

why the ability to "feel pain" is a deciding factor for some people when it comes to choosing which living creatures they eat or not.
Humans are insanely resourceful and creative when it comes to rationalizing and justifying the things they do* and eat I guess.

That's my theory.

Or else it's a complete lack of empathy on their part.

C1: You are officially off notice.

Cheers!

TJ

* See: weapons of mass destruction.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts