VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Word. When I was a vegan, back in the day, I ate insects (cochineal/carmine) because as you said they have no pain consciousness, so who cares that they're in kingdom animalia...so are sponges and oysters.
Please give a source to them lacking pain consciousness. That's a pretty controversial claim so can you back it up?

I hope you're not just makign **** up.

11,550 Posts
yeah but nobody should eat ladybugs, cos they're really pretty and cute.

i think its ok to eat woodlice though, cos they're ugly lookin, so they deserve it.

and nobody should ever eat stick insects, either, that'd just be so sick... people keep them as pets... that'd be like eating a family member!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

ETA: I gather this thread is just a chance for dogmatic vegans to mock ethical vegans. ?
try ethical vegans mocking pretend vegans.

buy this?

and its moreso about faulty arguments that "bees cant really suffer so honey is fine" but "eating insects is still wrong cause they are animals and suffer". its one or the other. either you can eat honey, wear silk, eat ants and caterpillars and ladybugs and fried cockroaches - or you dont.

and before you say it - no, sponges and clams and oysters and stickbugs and hummingbirds and jeezycreezy cakes are not vegan either.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
hmmm what about other lice though?

is it vegan to ...eat things... that have...little bugs... on them?

11,550 Posts
Quote:
is it vegan to ...eat things... that have...little bugs... on them?
yeah, its ok, cos they're really small, so you can kind of squint a bit, and then you can't see them properly, so you can pretend they're not really there. like with gelatine in marshmallows- you can't actually see horns and a tail, so its not reaaaalllly cow in there.

and its not like the bugs even know you're eating them anyway.

oooh, and i think people should definately eat earwigs in as big amounts as they can manage, for its self preservation. if we don't eat them, they'll crawl into our brains and lay eggs, and therefore eat us alive!!!

oh, the ironing.

sorry... i meant irony.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

jeezycreezy cakes are not vegan either.
It's people. Jeezycreezy cakes are made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding TJ like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Cheers!

The Gravelberry Pie King

11,550 Posts
Quote:
It's people. Jeezycreezy cakes are made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding TJ like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!
whatnow? *looks scared* whats a jeezycreezycake? so do they clone the TJ to make 'em, or just saw bits off? i thought they might be made out of jeezycreezy-products for a minute or two, and i was really worried then.

·
Registered
0 Posts
have any of you ever visited a apiary? (not a commercial one, mind you)

I will continue to eat non-commercially raised honey and still consider myself vegan. no "society" will tell me how to define my lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Many years ago humans domesticated the jeezycreezy and selectively bred them to produce cakes. So while jeezycreezy cakes may not be vegan, you should certainly have no ethical qualms over eating them.

Cheers!

The Great Wazoo

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

have any of you ever visited a apiary? (not a commercial one, mind you)

I will continue to eat non-commercially raised honey and still consider myself vegan. no "society" will tell me how to define my lifestyle.
What thread do you think you're in? This one's about bugs honey.

Cheers!

Wilma

11,550 Posts
i can't get the image of a shedfull of jeezycreezys wired up to milking machines designed to fit their tiny man-nipples (no offence to tiny man-nipples or jeezycreezys intended), out of my head now. i feel a little bit disturbed by it all.

and i'm having trouble enjoying my indian gathia snack thingies, as i keep seeing the black flecks in them and thinking its baked-in ants. i'm really hoping its fennel seeds or cumin seeds or something.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I consider myself a Christian.

Now, I only:

Kill people who had it coming,

Covet my neighbor's wife if she's not real attractive,

Pray to all my other gods (really they're just unwitting strangers) before I pray to God,

Steal cars from the wealthy,

Cheat on my wife (but it's with her sister),

Take the Lord's name in vain (in a daily "cleansing" ritual),

Dishonor my mom and dad (by publicly flogging them),

Can't quite seem to remember when the sabbath is (I really do have to get a PDA),

Lie to everyone (in fact none of the above is true and I am not male, I'm actually a Sub-Saharan Mongoose),

and constantly make graven images (okay, I'll be honest, I don't know what that is).

(And sometimes I combine all of those activities into one outstanding party)

I'm not going to let any "church" or "bible" tell me I'm not a Christian.

11,550 Posts
does it matter about how big the bug is? i mean... what about one of those 3 inch long cockroaches? is that ok? what about if we raise it humanely and it dies of natural causes?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts