VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm considering doing a PhD in Sydney next year. Is anyone from that area and Vegan that can give me the lowdown on the scene? Is there one? And also if anyone has been bouldering around there, I'd like to know about that.

Thanks,

Gabriel

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Hey, I'm a vegan from Sydney...haven't noticed many others around here. There is a vegetarian society though and a few resetaunts and cafes with specifically vegan foods.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about health food stores? I'd really like to be able to buy good soymilk and other essentials......thanks so much for the info. Also, have you heard any good/bad things about UNSW?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I'm a Sydney vegan too.

Quote:
Originally posted by georgefran

What about health food stores? I'd really like to be able to buy good soymilk and other essentials......thanks so much for the info. Also, have you heard any good/bad things about UNSW?
Have you heard of the Green Gourmet vegan restaurant and grocery shop?

http://www.greengourmet.com.au/green.htm

I've yet to go there, but have heard good things from others who have been.

Regarding UNSW, do you mean how "veg-friendly" it is?

I've never beent here, but several years ago I was at Sydney Uni and the only thing I could really eat was a falafel roll.

As for UNSW:

http://www.student.unsw.edu.au/atoz/atoz-Food.shtml

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Health food stores - GNC is a very common one, its in a lot of the major shopping centres - its where I get my toothpaste etc. Most health food stores here are focused on vitamins and stuff though, so for food products any main food store is fine.

The essentials like soymilk you can buy at any grocery store/supermarket etc. Theres quite a wide range of vegan foods here - soy milk/custard/icecream/yogurt etc (I recommend Soy Life or So Good for the soymilk, and Soy Life Vanillia Creme is the most delicious yogurt but I wouldnt go anywhere near the other brands). Icecream - So Good or Fruccio. There lots of Tofu and vegan sausages and fake meats aswell.

If you have anything else you want to know, or more specific stuff im happy to answer just let me know!!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Oh and eating out is quite easy - theyre arent many vegetarian resteraunts but nearly every place has vegetarian options and all will make stuff veg if you ask.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't eat most of the stuff that you are talking about, but I understand what you are saying. I'm still not sure why anyone would want fake meat or soy yogurt, but to each her own.

G

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey,

Suzy Spoons does a vegan cooking show in Sydney. So that is exciting. I think Pangea is from Australia so you can get some cool vegan wares from there. If you want to know about restaurants and health food stores you can always check www.happycow.net that's how I investigate these sort of things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As for veggie food in sydney its crap!! I've been veggie for nearly 20 years now and i still havent seen much change at all..... Unless you live right in the city you dont have much chance at all at finding a good veggie health food shop.... I think Newtown, Glebe are probably your best places in finding meals that are veggie and are safe to eat hence no secret ingredients.... So sorry for putting a downer on your trip here but dont expect to much at all......

·
Registered
0 Posts
As as Sydneysider I've got to agree with india. Sydney (and indeed Australia as a whole) isn't the most veggie-friendly of places.

Saying that though, I go to a great veggie cafe in Manly which serves Tofu / Lentil patties, salads, vegetable curries etc. Manly has a few Veggie restaurants to choose from.

Sydney CBD hasn't got any veggie specific places that I know of, but some places are ok if you ask to have something special prepared.

I have heard that Newtown is a bit hipper (perhaps that should be hippier) so should have a few more cafes to try.

High-quality fresh fruit and veg is readily available though so, as always, you can't go wrong if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
if sydney is anything like brisbane, you should be able to get soy milk (if you drink coffee) in nearly all cafe's and restaurants.

to me, that kicks butt over the town i'm living in, in germany at the moment.

you won't be left hungry, i'm sure!

·
Registered
0 Posts
You can indeed get Soy Milk in most cafes, and restaurants, and it's available in all supermarkets over here too. I'd recommend "Soy Life No Fat" - tastes very good, not too sweet.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bennyonacid

As as Sydneysider I've got to agree with india. Sydney (and indeed Australia as a whole) isn't the most veggie-friendly of places........ Sydney CBD hasn't got any veggie specific places that I know of, but some places are ok if you ask to have something special prepared.
I've talked to vegans who have been overseas (the UK) and they say Sydney is a lot better than anywhere they saw over there.

There's Bodhi's (Central and another location (veg*n)), what used to be the Om cafe at Glebe (vegan), as well as a macrobiotic place near by (veg*n), Green Gourmet at Newtown (vegan), another place at Newtown (vegan... I've been there but forget the name), a Vegetarian restaurant on Pitt Street (veg*n.... many Animal Lib functions have been held there).

Melbourne seems just as good (if not better than) Sydney. I was never in want of finding a veg*n place to eat (or a place that was veg-friendly)..... some of them had the most incredible dishes.

And from veg*ns I have talked to in Brisbane, I hear they have a decent choice of places.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
LOL with_open_eyes, I gave Brisbane a C+! But I guess I've never been anywhere worse... that would probably make me revise my grade... I just don't think that the run of the mill cafes and restaurants have enough of a selection, but at least we can buy most foods at supermarkets and whatnot...

·
Registered
0 Posts
So where is the most vegan-friendly city? London isn't bad - at least there you have some dedicated organic and animal-friendly supermarkets. There was a chain called "Fresh and Wild" that I used to go to a lot.

What's America like for vegans? Is that the most vegan-friendly place?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
shewolf, yeah, we do have it pretty good compared to other places, especially the town i am in now. that is why i gave brisbane whatever rating i gave it (i can't remember). hehehe

plus i miss alot of places there. "veg out" in the valley is one of my fave (even though expensive) places!

bennyonacid, hmmm good question!

london certainly tops my list of places very suitable for veg*ns!!

the health food chain you mentioned is sooo good. i think i shopped there nearly every day when i was there. planet organic was amazing too!

can't wait to get back there

it's so good that items are labelled too "suitable for vegans" so you don't have to read the label but out of habit i still found myself reading the label.....

(london just came on the TV awwwww)

i hear that the US is very vegan friendly and judging by people's posts on this board, it seems as though they have a wealth of vegan friendly products there

·
Registered
0 Posts
hey... i live in country new south wales and i have no worries being vegan...

regular supermarkets are fine and there are plenty of other options in most places...

sydney is a piece of cake for eating out compared to my home,

but if you want to travel a bit while you are here, then you may find some hassles away from the cities and larger towns...

mainly though, all will be good,

its not the end of the earth!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts