VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've recently became vegetarian, and now want to become Vegan. I was an idiot and didn't really know how the dairy industry works (now I do, and I'm disgusted by it). My parents don't want me to become Vegan because apparently it is hazardous to both my health and growth and the fact that I'm a developing teenager (B12, Calcium etc).

I wanted to throw some information back at them but I couldn't think of anything like alternate sources for the food above. What I'm asking is, does anybody have any advice or links to useful Vegan information?

Much thanks!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Hi Stuart,

First of all, congrats on making this decision! Keep in mind that your parents are giving you a hard time because they truly want what is best for you. Unfortunately, they are not educated about vegan nutrition. That is your new job: show them you have done your research, show them the potential nutrients that might be a problem, and explain to them how you are going to make sure you get those nutrients.

A good place to start is here, which is the ADA/DC position paper on vegetarian diets. You can then show them this, which is a food guide for vegetarians.

I would also recommend that you read "Becoming Vegan" to educate yourself more about nutrition.

You should also point out the fact that eating animal products does not automatically ensure good health. In fact, omnivores in North America are more at risk for nutritional deficiencies than vegans.

Another good book is The China Study (excerpt). You can probably find this at your local library.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Depends.

If you eat properly then no its not harmful!

Take a multivitamin that provides 100% of calcium and b12 then they cant really argue!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Be thankful your parents are asking, and not ignoring what your eating! Now is a good time to show your parents that you are responsible enough to make this choice. By the way, congrats!

Other than doing your research, I suggest keeping a diary of what your eating. That way you can show it to your parents and to keep an eye on it yourself, to make sure your keeping balenced.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
One thing a lot of people don't realize is that greens (brocolli, kale, collards, etc.) contain calcium too, but they don't have the immense amount of protein milk does, which actually interferes with the absorption of calcium. (Calcium is used by the body to neutralize acids. Proteins are chains of amino acids.) Drinking fortified soy milk and eating vegetables, including the dark green ones will give you the calcium you need.

As for B-12, fortified foods -- one of which can be soymilk, read your ingredients to see if it actually is, because they don't have to-- are a good way to go, but I would also get a B12 supplement.

For vitamin D, playing out in the sun helps. (Or working out in the sun, etc.) Being out in the sun stimulates vitamin D production in your body. Supplementing is not necessarily a great idea unless a doctor finds that you have a defiency. (You can ask the doctor to test for this.) An overdose of vitamin D has undesirable effects.

·
Registered
897 Posts
well put, and nice resources. i'm going to lift this message for future use

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

A good place to start is here, which is the ADA/DC position paper on vegetarian diets. You can then show them this, which is a food guide for vegetarians.

I would also recommend that you read "Becoming Vegan" to educate yourself more about nutrition.

You should also point out the fact that eating animal products does not automatically ensure good health. In fact, omnivores in North America are more at risk for nutritional deficiencies than vegans.

Another good book is The China Study (excerpt). You can probably find this at your local library.

Good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
First of all, good job for wanting to become vegan! I was in the same situation as you, like, literally a few days ago (my official vegan "birthday" is 1/9/07), and really, all it took was some research printed out in a packet, some Peta videos, and a few tears (LOL) to convince them. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where does it say on Bill Goldberg's site that he is vegan? I couldn't find anything. The best I could do was his Wikipedia article, which stated that he's a noted animal rights activist, which isn't enough to prove anything.

edit: I didn't even try using Google. Stupid me. Sorry! Thanks Jenna.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaron View Post

Where does it say on Bill Goldberg's site that he is vegan? I couldn't find anything. The best I could do was his Wikipedia article, which stated that he's a noted animal rights activist, which isn't enough to prove anything.
I went to google and typed "bill goldberg, vegan" and it popped up lots of links: http://www.google.com/search?q=bill+...ient=firefox-a

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your support guys, but it's not going that well...

My mum told me that being a Vegan at my age (a developing teenager) would affect my health. She trained as a 'dietician' in her 20's and said that she had studied these things and that Veganism was harmful to my health...

I counterattacked by saying that that I could get my calcium and other dairy needs through soy/rice milk, beans and supplements.

But she wasn't having any of it. I then told her the straight truth that cows recieve pain in the dairy process, and that they constantly have to get impregnated. But she said that the cow only has to be impreganted once. Is that true?

She started to get quite angry and told me to show me the people who told all this (ie you guys, and apparently I can't trust people on the internet...) and to show her websites that support her sayings (I'm not asking anyone to find me these type of sights, frankly I don't want to).

I wasn't going to go talk to my dad either (that would be a LOT worse...).

I'm not giving up yet though... If I have to show them PETA videos to convince them then I will.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ugh.
parents can be a pain. My mom doesn't trust anything I get off the Internet. But then I'm supposed to beleive some "information" she tells me, that she thinks she read in a book somewhere. But, try talking to a dietician. Get a good argument (ie: why are you doing this? health, animals, ethical...), do a ton of research, and present the facts. Also, talk to a trained nutritionist, or a school nurse will do. Good luck! *hug*

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart ZX View Post

Thanks for your support guys, but it's not going that well...

My mum told me that being a Vegan at my age (a developing teenager) would affect my health. She trained as a 'dietician' in her 20's and said that she had studied these things and that Veganism was harmful to my health...

I counterattacked by saying that that I could get my calcium and other dairy needs through soy/rice milk, beans and supplements.

But she wasn't having any of it. I then told her the straight truth that cows recieve pain in the dairy process, and that they constantly have to get impregnated. But she said that the cow only has to be impreganted once. Is that true?

She started to get quite angry and told me to show me the people who told all this (ie you guys, and apparently I can't trust people on the internet...) and to show her websites that support her sayings (I'm not asking anyone to find me these type of sights, frankly I don't want to).

I wasn't going to go talk to my dad either (that would be a LOT worse...).

I'm not giving up yet though... If I have to show them PETA videos to convince them then I will.
First, I would encourage you not to be tempted to show your mom videos from Peta. It seems like her main concern is your health, so you have to attack it from that viewpoint.

If your mom trained as a dietitian, she needs to update her training and get with the times. Please see my original response where I linked you to the ADA/DC Position on Vegetarian Diets, which clearly outlines that a vegan diet is appropriate for ALL life stages. ADA and DC are *the* nutrition authorities in the US and Canada, respectively. If you do nothing else, print that off for her and ask her to read it. It is a legitimate source, it isn't just some website on the internet. If she trained as a dietitian she will recognize the value in such a statement.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quote:
But she said that the cow only has to be impreganted once. Is that true?
I grew up on a dairy farm. Cows need to be impregnated about once a year. If they are not, their milk production will significantly reduce or stop completely.

I have posted about the things I experienced while growing up on a farm.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...04&postcount=1

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...82&postcount=3

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...5&postcount=33

info from another thread about milking:

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=65536

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

According to the University of Guelph, "The period of lactation, or milk production, then continues for an average of 305 days."

http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairy...synthesis.html

Basically, as long as a calf would need milk.

It goes on to say that cows produce more milk than calves need, but I'm going to guess that's related to how they've been engineered to do so.

Furthermore, they don't produce milk if there IS no pregnancy and calf.

According to this wikipedia entry (and other sources I've seen), a cow's milk production peaks after about 70 days before declining. It's at this point that cows are bred again (corroborated by the u of guelp link): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_cattle

Please note this info is from non-veg sites.
You should definitely show your mom the American Dietetic Association report that fyvel mentioned. It is based on hundreds of scientific studies which are listed at the end of the report. Unfortunately you can no longer print off the study unless you are a member of the ADA. You can still download a non-printable pdf version to your hard drive here: http://www.eatright.org/ada/files/vegnp.pdf

1 - 20 of 26 Posts