VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In relation to jobs that sell products which are not vegan, or work which is not really vegan, how do people deal with this?

If customers are asking about the non-vegan products how do people deal with this?

Examples:

Advertising for meat, milk, eggs?

Clothing stores which sell wool, leather, fur?

Milk based paints?

Restaurants with dairy, flesh, etc?

Or what if the alternatives are pretty unhealthy, for example carpet store (typical non-environmentally sounds carpet vs wool carpet)?

The list goes on for possibilities, but I was wondering how people react, or deal with customer interactions. Just suck it up and do the job? Steer people away from animal products? If so, what if the alternatives are unhealthy?

Just looking for thoughts, comments, reactions, opinions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would imagine that in terms of your job, unless you are working for a vegan/vegatarian boss that you would have to remain impartial. For example if someone is asking about the carpet you would have to explain both the negatives and benefits of wool and synthetic and be honest about which one is more popular and durable. While you care that it is wool the person buying obviously doesn't or they'd say they didn't want to purchase wool so if it's more durable you are obligated to tell them that.

Errm I'm not sure on selling dairy, but I guess unless the person was asking for soy milk or soy cheese you'd just have to do the same as above, which one has more/less fat, which one sells the most etc etc.

Basically it is your job to remain impartial as I said despite your own feelings. You are selling products not opinions.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I work Saturdays in an 'ethical' shop (mostly food but also cleaning products and a few crafts) which has quite a wide veg and vegan and seems much better than a regular supermarket...but we still sell meat (organic but digusting and dead all the same) and dairy. I don't have to deal with the meat but I always have to deal with the milk delivery, which I don't really like now that I have a vegan diet...it's not taken into consideration - we are short staffed but I'd rather deal with the bread than the milk. I can deal with it but I would rather not work in a shop selling meat and dairy in the future if I can avoid it....I will be leaving this job in the summer anyway as I'm going to uni and I want a break before I go.

At Christmas we were told to ask customers if they wanted to order turkeys or other meat, and I actually did ask some people who were already buying meat, but I wish I hadn't as it seems totally wrong for me!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I wouldn't have tried to put them off eating the meat, I just wasn't comfortable with trying to get them to buy more meat. I'm not going to quit as I won't be there for long anyway, and it is better than a lot of places you could work, but I don't think I would work in a meat-selling place in the future. You have to make money, but ideally I would like to do that without compromising myself.

The dairy I'm OK with (except there's always cow poo on the bottom of the crates they deliver it in!) as I consumed it for a long time anyway, I've only just adopted a vegan diet and I'm working on the rest, but I just get annoyed that as the only vegan, they assign me to the milk. It's not a big thing though I suppose.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Its your JOB. you arent paid to tell other people what you really think! really if youre that uncomfortable dont work there.
I'm not really uncomfortable with my job. I actually work for a 'green' store, selling alternative energy products, green building materials, organic clothing/bedding, etc.

However, we do sell wool clothing and bedding and carpets, and beeswax candles. While I'm not thrilled about those, they're better than say dairy, leather, meat, etc.

And regardless what you think, anyone selling products IS paid to tell people what they think. When a customer is trying to decide between products, there's usually questions like:

"Well which is better?" Or "What would you choose and why?" etc.

I don't respond "Well, I'm a vegan and I would never use wool since it's animal exploitation."

I also work for a vegan who owns the business. However, the reasoning is that for instance with carpet, the synthetic stuff is downright horrible in terms of health of people in a house, and really the only alternative is wool carpets. So in terms of environmentally friendly product, the wool is better so we sell it.

Same goes with beeswax candles, petroleum candles are horrible for indoor health, so we sell the beeswax candles.

However we don't sell milk based paints, which I am happy about.

The variety of examples I gave was to try to get some discussion and ideas on what people thoughts as well as people who are actually in these jobs.

I realize in most jobs, I would be expected to remain impartial, however customers do ask questions and opinions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts