VeggieBoards banner

veganism and the college campus

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  rawgirl 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveliestundead View Post

Anyway, maybe if you got together a group of students who feel the same way, you could more effectively request a change and at least get nutrition information displayed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaali View Post

And as has been suggested, I'd get together with other students on campus. Does your school have a vegan or environmental (they'd probably back you too) group already? If not, it's worth considering starting one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nori_roll View Post

My advice- talk to whoever is in charge of dining. Call, email, whatever. It may not seem like it, but I think the majority of them actually DO care what the students think haha. Even suggesting small changes, like adding vegetarian sources of protein on the salad bar (beans, chickpeas, tofu) can make a difference. If you have veg friends at school get them to email as well, the more the merrier! Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

If you already know that they don't serve vegetarian food more than once a week, I recommend you start advocating NOW so that they have some time to implement changes before you begin and have no food to eat.
These are all great ideas ... if you can approach dining services with a group of people who are concerned about this, it will probably be more effective. Unfortunately, it does seem to depend somewhat on how liberal or conservative your college campus is. If the campus isn't too progressive, they might not have a veg*n group or an enviro group, but you can always start one! I agree that you want to start working on this issue now ... does your school have a website where you can look up what sorts of student groups are on campus? That might be one way to start ... Also - another idea, if your school has a paper that is published by its students, start with a letter to the editor or even contact the paper and ask them to do a feature on this ... Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.