VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
99% Vegan
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I give links first, but then below I will give substitution ideas for those avoiding certain foods.

Annie's Brand They list it as Vegan. Contains nightshades, allium family, Gluten, corn

PETA's Recipe Nightshade free, but contains Soy, Allium family, cinnamon, mustard powder.

Substitution Ideas:

Onion powder = Dehydrate fennel bulb instead, to make a fennel bulb powder.

Soy = Boil small amount of Kombu in hot water. Add salt to taste. You can use it once the water has the kombu flavour.

Mustard powder = tumerica, small amount

Cinnamon = Nutmeg

Black pepper = Radish or a tiny amount of horse radish, as its stronger.

Cloves or allspice = Nutmeg

Cardamom = ? Sorry, no ideas here that is also soy free. Otherwise, Bragg's Liquid Amino (if not avoiding MSG) would technically work, but still it changes the flavour.

The harder substitutes:

Vinegar - I would use tomato paste with water.
Lemon juice - Tamarind juice or lime work. Other fruits could be tried. The taste might change.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I've always thought worcheshire sauce was nasty, but you've made so changes it really isn't worcheshire at all.
I love tamarind paste Braggs and ginger and chili garlic paste together--Braggs is soy BTW

What about --that Indian spice that is often subbed for onion and garlic? I can't think of the name enough to even google--Aesedotica?? something that starts with an a

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
that Indian spice that is often subbed for onion and garlic
Asafoetida - hing in hindi. Boy is that stuff aromatic. (Not in a pleasant way!)

I remember seeing tamari used as a replacement for Worcester. It's definitely not a substitute, but works as a placeholder and gives a little shot of umami.

·
99% Vegan
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its the yellow cobra brand that people recommend, but a little goes a very long ways! I found that fennel bulb, minced and cooked, is an excellent onion substitute. It doesn't have that smell that is very strong like hing does. Hing in its container is so pugnant, that it drove my family nuts. They couldn't wait until I got rid of it. lol However, hing is very good after its cooked. My dad, tried hing once - take oversized thumb and index finger, pinch. He spit it out. I had to tell him that the amount of hing he had tasted, was enough to flavour a meal for 6 people. :laugh:

The substitutions are only to accommodate food allergies. Also, one would only use the substitute they needed, and leave the rest of the recipe (that I did not post) as "authentic" as possible. There are many good worcestershire recipes online, so making the substitutions, shouldn't be that difficult in most cases. The alternative is to simply avoid all condiments that way too many people take for granted. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts