VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my doctor has ordered me to take fish oil capsules. What's the vegan version? Flax oil?

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
Algal DHA. Fish oil has DHA and EPA, where as the omega-3 in flax is ALA. I like Spectrum's Vegetarian DHA. DEVA also makes vegan DHA pills. You can get DHA or DHA mixed with flax oil in liquid form but it'll probably taste pretty fishy. There are some foods that have algae-based DHA added to them like soy milk and pasta sauce.

If you don't want to/can't take DHA you can improve your body's conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA by limiting your intake of omega-6. I think even adding a little DHA will help improved the efficiency of the conversion process tho.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add that it isn't for dietary reasons, it's for mental health. Not sure if that matters, but just to clarify.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been taking Holy Basil for mental health / stress. Not sure if that's the sort of thing that would be a possible alternative to fish oil. Don't know enough about fish oil as I always rejected taking it when my granny would buy me some. ;|

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's true that Flax seeds contain only the pre-cursor to Omega 3's (ALA) and I was told once by a doctor that humans don't convert ALA to Omega 3's very efficiently (supposedly chickens do). I decided he was full of it (or rather, that most humans eat a lot of un-natural foods and chemicals and medications etc...that may be why they don't covert ALA to Omega 3's efficiently) and since I'm very careful about what I eat, maybe my body can convert it just fine. So I've been grinding my own flax seeds along with quinoa every morning for breakfast, not only for the Omega 3's, but also as a way to make sure I get a good dose of protein every day.

As far as the Omega 3 effect, I feel certain that it has been very helpful to me. I was dealing with hormonal issues, and mood swings, and PMS, and fuzzy thinking, etc... and don't have those issues any more. Of course there are other things I've done as well which might be part of the benefit (i.e. regular mild aerobic excersize, no more coffee, no tras fats -which counteract Omega 3's, no high fructose corn syrup, and clean filtered water instead of tap water
I did all of these things simultaneously so I guess you can draw your own conclusions. I will say though, that when I've gone a week or so without my flax/quinoa cereal...like when I'm on vacation...I do seem to notice not feeling as well.

Note to anyone who wants to experiment with the flax/quinoa cereal:

Grind your own flax seeds in a coffee grinder just before use. Otherwise you will lose the benefit of the healthy ALA fat (it breaks down very quickly...and this is why I don't buy flax seed oil or pre-ground flax seeds...I know the beneificial fats are volitile and have probably lost their benefit before I buy it)

Refrigerate your seeds until you use them.

Add a little vanilla soy milk into a bowl of water for sweetness and microwave till hot

Then add ground flax/quinoa (full on cooking of the flax itself will also break down the ALA, making it useless)

Add fruit (I use blueberries and banana) to make it taste good, otherwise it will be very boring and you won't want to eat it.

One last note: If I was having serious anxiety, depression, psychosis, ....I mean anything intolerable, I'd forget about being vegan and go straight for the fish oil and (or pharmaceutical grade Omega 3's, in which you wouldn't have to worry about mercury content) Suffering aint fun, and I'd be taking the quickest route out of it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekawa View Post

It's true that Flax seeds contain only the pre-cursor to Omega 3's (ALA) and I was told once by a doctor that humans don't convert ALA to Omega 3's very efficiently (supposedly chickens do). I decided he was full of it (or rather, that most humans eat a lot of un-natural foods and chemicals and medications etc...that may be why they don't covert ALA to Omega 3's efficiently) and since I'm very careful about what I eat, maybe my body can convert it just fine. So I've been grinding my own flax seeds along with quinoa every morning for breakfast, not only for the Omega 3's, but also as a way to make sure I get a good dose of protein every day.

As far as the Omega 3 effect, I feel certain that it has been very helpful to me. I was dealing with hormonal issues, and mood swings, and PMS, and fuzzy thinking, etc... and don't have those issues any more. Of course there are other things I've done as well which might be part of the benefit (i.e. regular mild aerobic excersize, no more coffee, no tras fats -which counteract Omega 3's, no high fructose corn syrup, and clean filtered water instead of tap water
I did all of these things simultaneously so I guess you can draw your own conclusions. I will say though, that when I've gone a week or so without my flax/quinoa cereal...like when I'm on vacation...I do seem to notice not feeling as well.

Note to anyone who wants to experiment with the flax/quinoa cereal:

Grind your own flax seeds in a coffee grinder just before use. Otherwise you will lose the benefit of the healthy ALA fat (it breaks down very quickly...and this is why I don't buy flax seed oil or pre-ground flax seeds...I know the beneificial fats are volitile and have probably lost their benefit before I buy it)

Refrigerate your seeds until you use them.

Add a little vanilla soy milk into a bowl of water for sweetness and microwave till hot

Then add ground flax/quinoa (full on cooking of the flax itself will also break down the ALA, making it useless)

Add fruit (I use blueberries and banana) to make it taste good, otherwise it will be very boring and you won't want to eat it.

One last note: If I was having serious anxiety, depression, psychosis, ....I mean anything intolerable, I'd forget about being vegan and go straight for the fish oil and (or pharmaceutical grade Omega 3's, in which you wouldn't have to worry about mercury content) Suffering aint fun, and I'd be taking the quickest route out of it!
Flax seed is very good, a great source of fiber, good for cleansing the liver. The short fall would be you still need to take the flax seed oil for the Omega 3's, by only eating the flaxseed you will not get enough Omega 3's.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Chia seeds are better than flax. You don't need to grind them to get the benefits. Plus, they have more protein, calcium, fiber, and omegas than flax.

·
Banned
841 Posts
One thing to watch out for with the flax oil capsules is, at least with the brand I've been taking, just noticed that they contain geletin. So definitely check the ingredient list before buying!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
According to Dr Esselstyne in his book, 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed is enough to get your Omega 3s daily. You should limit your intake of Omega 6s, so that they don't depelet the 3s by counteracting them (or something to that effect).

here's a list of the high Omega 6 foods- which is primarily all fat based in oils and margarines, nuts and meat- another good reason to keep your fat intake low! http://jmyarlott.com/omega6s/

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
source: http://www.optimal-heart-health.com/omega_3.html

The average American diet provides more than 10 times the proper amount of omega-6. Most of us are getting too much of a good thing. Why is that?
Linoleic acid (LA) is found in the primary oil added to most processed foods. (This indicates another reason to limit our eating of processed foods.) It is also found in the often used oils listed above.

Here is another important fact. Our bodies have the ability to convert linoleic acid (as well as alpha-linolenic acid) into longer chain fatty acids which lead to the production of eicosanoids. Eicosanoids depending, on their source, can have positive and negative influences on our bodies. They may…
  • slow intravascular clotting which helps to prevent heart attacks and strokes.
  • suppress inflammation preventing us from overreacting to allergens.
  • dilate blood vessels reducing hypertension and increasing good blood delivery.
  • control cell growth slowing the rapid growth of cancer cells.
That is the good news. On the other hand they may…
  • increase blood clotting which leads to heart attack and stroke.
  • suppress the immune system leaving us more open to infection.
  • increase cellular growth thereby promoting the growth of cancer cells.
  • create new blood vessels which can feed cancer cells.
Generally speaking the eicosanoids produced by an overabundance of omega-6 tend to produce the negative affects… not the positive.

So much for a happy ending.

Dr Gerson found even back in the 1920s, that every oil fed cancer and the tumors regrew after oil was introduced into the diet, after not having used fats. another German physician found that the only oil that didn't was flax seed oil. My sister is very intent on learning more about this now, since she's having to deal with it herself.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm having difficulty finding vegan DHA capsules

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
Yeah, i have to buy them online. Luckily the place i buy other things sells DHA too. I have seen Total Omega Vegan Swirl in the refrigerated section at a health food store, maybe that'll be easier for you to find.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I take DEVA Vegan DHA (warning: your burps will taste like furniture polish!!) and put Chia seeds in my oatmeal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts