VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am post op 3 yrs and followed a vegan diet before the surgery. I was told that I couldn't survive if I was vegan again afterward. Does anyone have any information on even just going veggie after surgery? I have mal-absorption from the bypass so have to take in 80-100 grams of protein to absorb the recommended amt. I am curious about getting information on what type of eating program/menu/etc I would need to follow or if anyone has info on how to get that much protein in a day.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I could tell you about how to get that much protein a day, even on a low cal vegan diet, but because I have no idea of the exact requirements of a post bypass dietary intake I dont want to make any recommendations.

I find this site really useful for protein information (see table 2):

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

Perhaps you could print this and ask your doctor if these kind of protein sources would be suitable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not limited on what types of protein, just that I get it. I have to make sure my diet is varied, again not a problem with veg diet. My biggest problem with going veg is I can't eat pasta or bread....

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlamas View Post

I'm not limited on what types of protein, just that I get it. I have to make sure my diet is varied, again not a problem with veg diet. My biggest problem with going veg is I can't eat pasta or bread....
How is that a problem? I do my best to avoid those things, as someone who is working to lose weight, there's nothing valuable they offer me. The same is true for someone with gastric bypass, yes?

·
Registered
888 Posts
This is advice I gave someone on the 30 day vegan trial thread about low cal high protein. If you don't need to be low cal you can add more fruits, nuts, seeds etc. As I say I have no idea about post bypass, this is solely about how to have a high protein vegan diet:

With a calorie intake of around 1500 a day:

Oatmeal with 50g oats (200 cals, 9g protein) and 250ml soya milk (140 cals, 10g protein): 240 cals, 19g protein

Veggie burger (depends on type but can be around 200 cals 13g protein) hummus (200 cals, 8g protein) salad with 140g spinach (30 cals, 4g protein) 60g kale (30 cals) 2g protein), 10 cherry tomatoes (40 cals, 2g protein) lemon juice, splash olive oil, salt: 500 cals, 25g protein

Lentil stew with 100g lentils (350 cals, 26g protein), 1 tomato (10 cals, 1 gram protein), 1 pepper (35 cals, 1g protein), 40g seitan (45 cals, 9g protein), 80g broccoli (30 cals, 2g protein) herbs/ spices to taste, quinoa 185g (220 cals, 8g protein) cooked in vegetable stock: 690 cals, 47g protein

Snacks: 8 almonds (56 cals, 2g protein) 1 plum (30 cals)

CALS: 1516 PROTEIN: 97g

The same result can be achieved with other meal plans, which can include foods like soup, Amy's bean chili with small baked potato, wholemeal (or non wheat) toast and peanut butter, soya yoghurt, tempeh, tofu, chickpeas, baked beans, tortilla with sauce, TVP and kidney beans, etc etc.

Important thing is to avoid any high sugar foods and empty calories (paricularly chips, crisps, deep fried foods, white rice, beer, wine, soda, crackers, white flour cookies, white bread) to achieve a vegan low calorie high protein diet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's incredibly helpful!! Thanks a ton
I shall be shopping at whole foods much more often it looks like. Is there a thread or book that would be good for me to buy that has recipes and meals ideas in it? I'd love the help to get me started until I know what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlamas View Post

i go months without eating either. i don't know the reasons you can't eat pasta but they have pasta made from different ingredients than the traditional stuff

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
"Does anyone have any information on even just going veggie after surgery?"

I have a friend that was vegetarian years before she had bypass surgery and remained vegetarian after surgery. She has absorption issues with iron and needs transfusions (always has and it's unrelated to being vegetarian and her surgery), she is also 7 months pregnant. I'm not sure if this info helps at all but she has been able to maintain being veg after all this. I hope you can make it all work out for you too .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts