VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
"1/2 cup of beef stock" for the white sauce? Really?
If you look in the main ingredients list towards the top of the recipe, it mentions faux beef stock. I wonder if the writer meant this when listing beef stock further down? It would probably be helpful though for them to clarify this. :0

I know there are vegan faux beef and chicken stocks in the Whole Foods Coop store I shop at.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
This is a real peeve for me! The reason it tastes like beef (or chicken, or other meat) stock, is because it has the same HERBS, the whole "seasoning' thing! NOT because it tastes like water that you used to boil meat!

I don't have any new terms to use instead, since we're so used to the things that make "beef" taste like "beef", and chicken taste like chicken. I know that marmite, mushrooms, carmelized onions are more beefy, and sage thyme and parsley more chik'ny. Maybe something like dark savory veg broth, and light herby veg broth?

Yes, I use those terms too. I love Better than Boullion no chickn broth. It's just ironic that it tastes like what we know as chicken broth, but if you took the seasoning out of real chicken broth it's just ---disgusting. It doesn't taste anything like "chicken broth" without seasoning, but if you take the 'chicken' out of it, it still tastes like it!

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Meat by itself doesn't taste like much of anything, does it? It's been so long since I had it, I can't remember. I feel like it was pretty bland except for the seasoning and sauce.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Hey guys,

I listed Massels (vegan stock) as my stock that I used and didn't think I needed to mention it again in the white sauce ingredients.

I'll update my post so theres no confusion :)

- Emily
Thanks Emily.

The way it's presented though could indicate that the red sauce and the white sauce have different stocks as one mentions "faux beef", the other just "beef". Why not just leave out 'beef' for the 2nd mention (for the white sauce) and call it 'stock'?

Leedsveg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Meat by itself doesn't taste like much of anything, does it? It's been so long since I had it, I can't remember. I feel like it was pretty bland except for the seasoning and sauce.
I had a friend who said he could never be vegetarian as he couldn't eat lentils etc as a substitute for meat because they tasted 'boring'. I suggested that he ate some plain beef mince, no sauce & no seasoning, and then talk to me about boring. Last I heard, he was vegetarian :)

The lasagne looks great. And Temple Breuer wine - one of my favourites when I lived in Australia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts