VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am set to go on vacation on a cross country trip in a few weeks and I am already worrying about what I will eat,hehe! I've had nightmares traveling as a vegan and usually will just break down and end up at taco hell or what not leaving me feeling like crap by the end of the week for eating crappy! What is one to do?!?! We will be camping partly and hoteling it partly so I was wondering if you guys had any tips on traveling & ideas of food to take that I can make on the road (or make ahead)? I will have a camping stove,etc available.. I will be going to the Nashville area and to Telluride Colorodo (and through NM,TX,OK,AK)if anyone can suggest some good places to eat in these areas?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
what we do for our bike races is pre-cook noodles. lots of noodles. and various sauces. all in seperate plastic containers. we bring a small camping pot, toss it on the camp stove with noodles and sauce of your choice and just heat it up stirring constantly. it's really easy and you can put a lot of veggies into the sauces when you make them at home that way you get a somewhat balanced meal. we also pack half loaves of garlic bread in tin foil and toss one on the campfire with each meal. other than that, lots and lots of sandwiches, granola bars, and muffins. we usually have one big cooler filled with the pastas and meat for the guys (blech) and sandwiches and one small cooler full of condaments and salads (premade salads from the grocery store, and tubs of pasta and potato salad) plus one giant plastic bin of snacks, plastic cutlery, paper plates etc.

our campsites are always very organized anyway.

but yeah you can bring trail mix and crackers and stuff for snacks if you don't want to spend the money on granola bars. as for the hotel if you access to a microwave you can bring just about anything as long as you can keep it cool

·
Banned
559 Posts
are you doing the I -40 route? i;ve made that trip from nashville to northern AZ many times....

you should check out the book "tofu tollbooth.'' there may be an updated version but the one i have from a few years ago is still prime.

it lists resturaunts/health food stores off of 40 and other places (i only say that cause that's what i always took - of course that's not the only road they base their stops by).

but it's helpful and easy- worth a few bucks. i always ate really well on road trips when i went that way

in nashville though - they've got a wild oats for the health food store.

eating out wise - pf changs, various sushi/japanese places, a few decent middle eastern resturaunts...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it's still like 6 weeks away still... but I've found if I want to eat well I need to PLAN it all out. yep I am doing the I-40! (coming from southern arizona)...the noodles ideas sound fab, I will definitly have to try that! I will probably bring along lots of cookies,muffins,nuts,raw fruits& veggies,etc. I tried to order a copy of the Tofu Tollbooth from the publisher but the site seems to be down, so I'm off to check Amazon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.