VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question-lol
I am traveling to Aruba in 3 weeks. I called the hotel to ask if they provide vegan meals and the guy didn't seem to understand. I thought I was clear, and he kept saying that they had chicken and fish dishes that I could eat.

Any advice? I might starve.....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
When you get there, buy fruits and veggies from the market and cook them in your hotel room. Also, when eating out, don't just tell them you're vegan. A lot of people have no clue what that means. Specify that you don't eat any meat, including fish, shellfish, and chicken, or dairy, including milk, cheese, cream, etc. I know it's a PITA, but it's necessary.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wouldn't expect people to understand you if you say "I am a vegan", a lot of people don't know or aren't sure of the differences between vegetarian and vegan.

I usually either say "I am a vegan, and I don't eat any meat, fish, eggs, dairy, honey or other animal products" (sometimes I skip the honey if I know it wont be in the dish and I think it will confuse) or just say what I don't eat, and don't use "vegan" at all. If there are vegetarian options I usually just ask to be told if there is any eggs, dairy or honey in the vegetarian options - unless it's a thai place and then I specifiy fish too because sometimes there is fish in their "vegetarian" options. Sometimes people then ask if I'm allergic and I explain I'm vegan.

Anyway as for your trip, I'd try to find vegetarian/vegan friendly places outside of your hotel to eat, and depending on what Aruba is like for vegan food (I have no idea!) maybe some snacks and filling foods incase you don't find anything. This isn't ever a problem for me but not everyone is so lucky!
Have a nice trip.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Just google "Aruba vegan restaurants" or something along those lines. Although the concierge at certain hotels may help you to find somewhere to eat, it is not very realistic to expect a hotel to serve you vegan food.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Also, I know it's probably too late to change your plans, but there IS a vegan resort in Grenada. It's called The Lodge. Maybe next time

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

it is not very realistic to expect a hotel to serve you vegan food.
It is, if its all inclusive and I paid for it

I booked this before I was vegan. So I didn't do any research. We won't be going outside the hotel much because we are there for a wedding. I'm thinking I might just wait until I get there and see if I can visit the kitchen or wherever the food comes from.
And maybe pack a box of oatmeal and larabars for survival-haha

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Also, I know it's probably too late to change your plans, but there IS a vegan resort in Grenada. It's called The Lodge. Maybe next time
I'm guessing our vacations will be a lot different in the future now that my husband and kids are vegetarian and I am vegan. Its easier for them anywhere, but I think in the future- it might be fun to find vegan friendly places to adventure to. We should sticky a vegan destination travel guide from experience on here someday...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

We should sticky a vegan destination travel guide from experience on here someday...
That's a really good idea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts