VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
um...well...i often cook up some improvised thai-like dishes. what sorts of things are you interested in making?

one thing i learned is that if you want to substitute something for the fish sauce, a tbsp or more of marmite or vegemite paste dissolved in some hot water does the trick nicely.

for egg, i use medium-firm tofu, all crumbled up and added to the dish during frying.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe we have a Vegan or maybe Vegetarian Thai Cookbook at home. Since I am dense and at work I would ask you to PM me the request to look it up and i will check here tonight. Otherwise I will have completely forgotten about it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
There is a great vegetarian Thai cookbook called: Real Vegetarian Thai by Nancie McDermott . It is 99% vegan (I think 2 or 3 recipes call for eggs, but she offers substitutes). It is very authentic and everything I've made from it has turned out great--restaurant quality. I tone down the heat, though,cause I can't handle the 2-3 Tbsp. curry paste she calls for in her curries.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Yep - veganinohio has it right. That is the BEST thai cookbook, hands down! It's wonderful and since I like my food *spicy* I think the recipes are great...

~ amywholovesagoodchilisweat!

·
Banned
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RichBeBe

I believe we have a Vegan or maybe Vegetarian Thai Cookbook at home. Since I am dense and at work I would ask you to PM me the request to look it up and i will check here tonight. Otherwise I will have completely forgotten about it.
Thanks. I will look for this cookbook in stores or on the internet, but I will probably turn up the heat. The servers at Thai restraunt look at me as if I am insane when I order at the highest level of spice. Sometimes I don't think they spice it up to how I order. My mouth can take the heat, and my ass can take the bleed.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeli

um...well...i often cook up some improvised thai-like dishes. what sorts of things are you interested in making?
Everything thai. At a Thai restraunt in Milwuakee (E-E-Sane) nearly every item can be ordered vegetariian. I wish I had the cash to go on order down the list.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I can share some of my favorites.

Thai tofu

marinade

half a block of extra firm tofu (drained and cubed)

1 tsp soy sauce

2 tsp olive oil

5-6 cloves garlic (minced)

1 small bell pepper (cut into strips)

1 tsp fresh ginger (minced)

1 jalapeno pepper (or to taste)

1 red bell pepper (cut into long strips)

marinate for several hours

Peanut sauce

3 shallot onions

1.5 T peanut butter

2 T lemon juice

.25 tsp basil

.25 tsp mint

mix together until in reaches an even consistency

place the marinade in a shallow baking dish and bake at 400 for 20 min stirring about twice

then stir in the peanut sauce and bake for another 20 min stirring about twice.

Serve on whole wheat couscous

Coconut tofu curry (this is good but I just made the recipe last week so I'll probably refine it later)

1/2 block extra firm tofu pressed and cubbed

2 T soy sauce

1 T sweetener

marinate for half an hour

1 T thai curry paste

1 T olive oil

2 cloves garlic minced

1 carrot chopped

a small bell pepper cut into strips

a few green beans chopped up

1 can bamboo shoots

1 can coconut milk

half a zucchini chopped up

2 green onions chopped up

1/3 cup frozen peas

cornstarch

water

start to fry the tofu marinade, oil and curry paste in a wok. After it starts to brown add the garlic and fry for another minute or two. Add the vegetables up to and including the bamboo shoots. fry them for a little while then add the cocnut milk and zucchini. Cook until the vegetables are tender. Add the frozen peas and green onion. Mix the cornstarch with the water and add it to the rest. Wait until it bubbles and then serve on rice or quinoa.

peanut sauce for noodles

3 cloves garlic

1 shallot chopped finely

1 T oil

1 tsp red curry paste

1 1/2 T peanut butter

half a roma tomato chopped

1 tsp lemon juice

1/2 tsp soy sauce

1 tsp sweetener

water to thin the sauce

8-10 snow peas cut into thin strips

1/3 small red bell pepper chopped up

fry the garlic and shallot in oil with the curry paste. add the peanut butter, soy sauce, sweetener, tomato and lemon juice and whisk together. Add soem water so that the dsauce isn't too thick. Add the chopped vegetables and simme rthe sauce. Serve on noodles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The book i was thinking of is not a vegan cookbook, but I (or Poesia) can pretty much veganise anything in it.

The Vegetarian Thailand Table by Jacki Bassmore

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.