VeggieBoards banner

Vegan Tattoo Ink

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sequoia 
#1 ·
I looked through the "Ultimate Tattoo Thread" and couldn't really find what I was looking for, so I thought this would be a good place to ask my question.

I am really wanting to get a tattoo that symbolizes my passion for living a humane lifestyle, and I'm having a really hard time finding a tattoo parlor in my area that has vegan ink. There are some people on tattoo forums who swear up and down that there is no such thing is vegan ink, even if the companies claim to be vegan. Which is making me even more confused.

There's a website for vegan tattoo enthusiasts that has a list of vegan-friendly parlors in the U.S., but of course, nothing in my area. I saw on a website somewhere that Iron Age Tattoo in St. Louis will use vegan ink on request, but I can't find anything to verify that on their site. I'll probably go ahead and call them.

Thoughts on vegan tattoo ink? Does anyone know of a vegan-friendly parlor in the Midwest, preferably Missouri? I've half-considered getting a tattoo with regular ink, but I am very uneasy about the possibility of having charred animal bone and animal fat in my skin forever. -- Yep. Common ingredients in tattoo ink. They tend to use bone charcoal for black ink apparently. Yikes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Find an artist/shop you like and ask them what brands of ink they use. then research the brands by going to websites and contacting the company to inquire about ingredients. you may be surprised at how many vegan inks are already in use.
if you discover the artists preferred ink is not vegan go back and ask them if they are willing to use other inks that are vegan. Stable Color has some vegan options: http://www.stablecolor.com/cgi-bin/c...yBloodRed.html

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sªmªnthª View Post

I live within walking distance of Iron Age. The area it's in, the U City Loop, is known for its cultural diversity. I would not be at *all* surprised if they use vegan ink. I would definitely give them a call.
Hey, I just moved from St. Louis.
Trader Bob's on Jefferson uses vegan ink.
They did all my work while I was living there.

#6 ·
Thanks for your ideas and recommendations! I've done a bit of research with some local, reputable shops and haven't had any luck. Most of them seem to know whether their inks are vegan or not, but I suppose I could contact the companies directly -- gotta go to the source to get the best info
. I'll definitely check out Iron Age and Trader Bob's. I'm familiar with the Loop, but I'd have to Mapquest Trader Bob's I think.

Man. I have to move to a bigger city. So many more veg-friendly establishments.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

my vegan tattoo was done with vegan ink

it'd be hypocritical for it not to be in my opinion.
I feel the same way -- that's why I decided to wait till I have the opportunity to check out other nearby cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

You won't travel for a tattoo? That's a shame. Scapegoat in Portland, OR is a vegan tattoo shop, and all their artists do beautiful work.
If I could afford to travel, I would totally scope out a great vegan tattoo shop, and Portland would indeed be quite awesome! But alas, I am a starving artist. Sigh.

Also, sequoia, your avatar is hilarious.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieP View Post

If I could afford to travel, I would totally scope out a great vegan tattoo shop, and Portland would indeed be quite awesome! But alas, I am a starving artist. Sigh.

Also, sequoia, your avatar is hilarious.
I hear you. I'm a starving artist too

Thank you, he makes me smile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.